What's with all the open wheel mods?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by SmokinJo65, Feb 5, 2012.

1. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Perfectly good question so no need to fight.

Where are the GT3 cars?
    Where are the older Trans-Am Mods?
    Where are the STCC/WTCC cars?

What is everyone's fascination with open wheelers (or GT1 cars for that matter) that go 300 mph and need cat like reflexes to drive. I'm not against them but I just don't think we need 15 of them. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now this is the definition of SEXY!!

2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

3. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Would be great for the Drag Strips in rF2 but there hardly road racing cars, I loved that 1966 Fairlane? at the bottom, had to give my 1967 up a few years ago..lol

4. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

We probably will release a nice old school public road drag strip to go with these cars. Yes, it is '66 Fairlane there :)

5. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I think this game is made with the euros in mind... not the rest of us. open wheel racing is about as popular as congress in America.

6. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

And to be truthful we all know Congress sucks here no matter how popular they are..lol

I don't mind open wheel I just think there to many.

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Engine has origins in open wheel stuff, EA F1 games are ones based on gmotor, so I believe it was developed for open wheel, then it has been improved during the years and now with rF2 it has much less open wheel platform than it was once, but surely origins are showing up, maybe big effect is that fanbase has been building from those EA F1 times, so open wheels are near hearts of fans, that is then why open wheels are build so much.

I have never been big fan of open wheel cars, also downforce is something I don't prefer so much, but I have one car made that is open wheel more or less and one that has downforce.

Those Chase USA cars that Johannes mentions are more my kind of things, so at least here is two modders offering you some of those kind of options.

8. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

I'm waiting for the HistorX boys to show there work in rF2, I WANT those Trans-Ams..lol

Why would you still work in rF1 when 2 is so much better?

9. tweaq

tweaq Registered

Ill just chip in and say aussies love their sedans too. Me personally, i love anything old. Historic touring cars, trans-am, group b rally, 90's LMP, full pre 70's f1 series, 86 f1 series and so on. Havent the slightest interest in running around in a new open wheel car, less interest in f1 after reading talks bout the 2013 turbo f1 cars being limited to 600hp. What a disgrace.

What this game does need though, is something that represents turbo modelling. Driving round in a "turbo car" that has a fixed 2-stroke-esque power curve doesnt come close.

10. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I have been told that turbo model is coming, so that will be huge improvement :p

Turbo car is completely different indeed, it has much larger power adjustment range by loud pedal than NA car, sure has some delays too so bit planning how to drive is needed, which adds lot to experience.

Can't wait those to come. Our mod will probably not have many turbo cars, but Kenworth and Vector has turbo, mostly however superchargers.

Other thing that would be nice for effect would be lumpy idle, stroked wild cam V8 is not idling perfectly at 638rpm, that is for sure :D

11. Eero Forsblom

Eero Forsblom Registered

I believe that OW cars are harder to make due to the vast amount of different settings. The difficulty of really simulating the complex aerodynamic effects and the fact that useful and accurate data about (especially new) cars is difficult to get. That's why I really can't understand the sudden outburst of multiple F1 mods. It's very hard to model even 1 car, but thinking about a whole season just makes my head hurt.

12. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I don't know about that one, there are quite lot of interest to specs, data etc of open wheel cars, so there are also people offering that data, there are whole sites dedicated to F1 tech.

For example, try to find caster and camber for F1 car and then do the same for 1977 Dodge sedan, I would imagine F1 data is easier in that case.

Aerodynamics are certainly different and those tires are quite something nothing else has, but there are hints for downforce, car can stay roof of tunnel if driven at X speed, you can work out from that just how much downforce car generates etc.

Try find same aerodynamic information about 1977 Dodge and nobody ever even mentions aerodynamics of it, there is general impression of it being a brick house level, but best I have found is estimate of 0.5cd and that is just estimate and not telling anything about lift or center of aero forces etc.

So it will be off, probably a mile, but I'm certain there is more than that possible to find with F1.

It still is not easy to make F1 car, also to get it perfectly right as of for example this years season is probably impossible, but I guess it is going to be much closer than some other car mods where simply nobody has ever been interested from such data.

I would think that one reason why so many open wheel mods is that there is lot of information available that is at least rather close.

13. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

as a member of Apex Team, we released a first GT3 package on rf1, i can answer for our parts.

make a gt3 mod is a big big challenge, we can compare this to the Endurances Series Mod : there are 11 or more cars to make ;)
    so a big team is needed.

the second problem is about conversions. it's hard to keep motivation to do a scratch job when you see conversions of sames cars.

open wheels offer possibilty to make a complete and usefull mod with less work, that's why you see lot of ones, i think ;)

concerning make some gt3 on rf2 : we still wait to see the beta developement. if ISI will give enough datas, and make enough upgrades, we'll certainly release at least a beta car. for more, we'll see.

14. Slothman

Slothman Registered

fanlebowsi...

I for one hope you do release APEX GT3 for rFactor 2 BUT I also realise the issues with rFactor 2 and the wait until after BETA before deciding on the development process.

Personally I feel the APEX GT3 mod was easily the best rF1 I tried. Simple but clean and effective models, nice templates, great physics and it was one of the only mods we found that had GREAT penalties for Camber, Ride Height and others. Good UI and other changes...just a brilliant MOD.

The way you got all cars to handle differently and require different driving styles but all could run really close to each other.....brilliant.

So the big question is (as I have nvere been able to join your forums) SPA 2007....progress??

15. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

we don't decide now if we'll wait the gold version, or make something on the beta. we think ISI need some beta Mods during the beta, as far as i know, the beta is available for this no ? ;) but at this moment there are too much problems. if ISI will make some littles but highly excepted improvements to give motivation to release something during the beta, we'll make something.

i think this is the basic deal between ISI and modders, they give us, we give something in return ;)

to be honnest, at this moment we work on cars and tracks, but not especially for rf (1 or 2). as soon as ISI will bring us what we need, we'll release some cars and tracks. spa is a special stuff since i don't have news from the main author, so i can't tell you if he want release it or not ;)

16. Slothman

Slothman Registered

LOL...fair enough.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to anything your team produces.

17. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Sounds great, would just like to say that your Navarra track would be most welcome too, I like it very much. ;) Thanks for all your work.

18. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

navarra will come, and with some updates ;) i have no time this days, but when i'll be able to add the marshalls on it, i'll release a beta version.

19. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Cool, thanks.

20. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho Registered

I would not say that. Before the F1 games for EA ISI made SCGT, Sports Car GT, and there were no open wheel cars in it. The gmotor engine has come a long way since then.

I do agree that open wheel race cars are very popular with rfactor racers. Personally, I really like the mid-70s F1 cars but not much since that era.