What is up with the optimization of this software

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sbishop1488, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

I think he always do this. Some times he quote the wrong forum lol

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Parts are correct. A 60hz monitor will drop frames between refreshes. But this doesn't cause lag. The lag comes when you enable VSync. VSync syncs your Framerate with the refresh of your monitor but tends to add a buffer which is what causes the input lag. The lowest lag comes when you set pre rendered frames to 1 and disable VSync. Using "Max Framerate" has nothing really to do with input lag though. I use it simply to keep my card from running useless high framerates that I can't even see anyways. With useless high framerates also comes added CPU usage. Added CPU usage means less run for random background tasks which sometimes leads to stutters and jitters.

I think the argument is that some people run better laptimes at 120fps even though their monitor is only physically capable of displaying 60fps.

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

DD, it's an absolute fact that 120fps will have higher CPU usage than 60fps. All for frames you will never see. Try it for your self. Set some low GFX settings where you can get very high frame rates. Run rF in a window so you can watch the CPU usage. Now close rf2 and set Max Framerate in the plr file to 60. Don't change anything else. Now fire up rf again with the same session settings and watch how dramatically the CPU usage drops. You also laugh about heat. I do endurance and the last thing I want to have is over heat 4 hours into a stint. It's a simple fact that giving the CPU and GPU freedom to run full tilt is going to generate more heat. Again, all for frames your eyes will never see.

4. Carlo

Carlo Registered

+1 again, Noel.

I use the "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" to make BIOS adjustments so that no throttling (thermal, voltage, etc) occurs at 100% load on all cores and stress the GPU at 100% using the same tool. Then I do exactly what Noel has stated above. No lag, no stutters.

5. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

When I am reading this I don`t know if I should gry or laugh and I rely hope that nobody takes claims from this wizard from Sydney seriously.

FPS = Frames per second
    Hz = Cycles per second.

FPS and Hz are basically the same thing, In this case they both mean screen updates per second.

The optimum ratio is 1:1, The graphics card sends one frame and that get displayed on screen, then sends a another frame etc. If you have a 120fps and a refresh rate of 60hz, it simply can't display all 120fps. It either drops 60 frames, or combines 1 and half frames and displays it as one frame. Both will result in screen tearing which is pretty annoying. Double buffering adds 1 frame of lag, Triple Buffering adds 2 frames. Try both, can help with lag.

Turn on the Game Mode for your screen as this bypasses any post-processing the screen does to make the picture look better. This is only good for movies and TV, not games!
    Windowed/Borderless can give you sometimes as high input lag as 64ms. Least input lag = Fullscreen. Windowed/Borderless + Vsync = Most input lag.

6. Carlo

Carlo Registered

"The optimum ratio is 1:1"

Yep.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hell no, optimum ratio isn't 1:1.

If my monitor's refresh rate was only 15 or 30 Hz, then I would have still gotten the game to run at at least 60 fps even if I don't see those frames (due to the monitor's slow refresh rate).

And no, a game's framerate and a monitor's "framerate" (refresh rate) are two completely different things. The monitor's refresh rate is just the rate at which your monitor tries to grab and show you frames from the game, it has nothing to do with the underlying processing and/or rendering of the game itself.

8. Skan

Skan Registered

V Sync explained:

http://www.techopedia.com/definition/92/vertical-sync-vsync

Monitor (or tv) hz explained:

http://techterms.com/definition/refreshrate

Humans see this per second:

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

and for argument's sake on the human frames per second...

http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1vy3qe/how_many_frames_per_second_can_the_eye_see/

Those might help those that simply wanted to make sure they understand what those terms meant or whatever.

9. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

How can you make argument that 1:1 is not optimum ratio when you claim that you even don`t see those frames:confused:

I know that 1 fps = 2 hz; 1 hz = 0.5 fps and what I wrote is:"FPS and Hz are basically the same thing, In this case they both mean screen updates per second." Maybe I should have written, In this case FPS and Hz are basically the same thing they both mean screen updates per second.:confused:

10. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

So if i´m strugling to get 60 fps in game high settings, can i make the game looks more fluid if i configure monitor refresh rate to 50 hz?

Sorry if a dumb question. i will try that

edit: definitly not. Only when change refresh rate to 50hz, the image becomes horrible and with over saturated colors :p

edit2: funny thing is set to 30 hz has the same visual efect

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

50 fps @ 50 Hz will look better than 50 fps @ 60 hz.

1:1 looks best.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

When I play in 2D mode, and can't get a constant 144 fps (@ 144 Hz), or 120 fps (@ 120 Hz), I set the monitor to 100 Hz and aim for 100 fps.

I love the flexibility of being able to choose between 144/120/100.

13. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Are you serious or being ironic? Changing the monitor refresh rate to 50hz or 30hz (same visual efect) all becomes horrible. Even hard to read.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If you're playing at 50 fps, then a 50 Hz refresh rate would look the most fluid and tear-free.

If you're monitor acts funny while in 50 Hz (blurry writing) then that's down to your monitor and the way it behaves because you shouldn't see a difference in this sense (sharpness and such) simply by changing the refresh rate, all things else being equal.

15. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Or maybe my GPU is really dying. I´m the guy of that gtx 680 running at 98~99° C thread on hardware section :(

16. fullsus

fullsus Registered

GTX660OC 3 monitors.

Shadow and Curcuit Detail are the most impact to FPS.
    Curcuit Detail set to Low.
    Shadow set to none.

FPS gain +10 to 25 fps.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Take it or leave it, I don't give a flying cows udder what Ari or anyone else thinks.

You just snide conceited and insulting Ari for no good reason.

18. stonec

stonec Registered

Wrong, monitor refresh rate only affects text readability on old CRT monitors. With LCD monitors you get the same readability on 1 Hz as on 60 Hz, refresh rate on LCD only matters when there is a moving picture.

19. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

"The lowest lag comes when you set pre rendered frames to 1"
    Isn't that just for nvidia cards?

I think regardless of monitor hz it is best to have as high a fps as possible.
    You may very well not see 100fps on a 60hz monitor but the game is running at 100fps.
    So you should be seeing a more up to date 'vision' of the game and be reacting accordingly.
    I don't think it has anything to do with input lag as such but maybe more an input reaction.

This will be why DD,and others,gets better times with a higher fps.

20. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

I´m not guessing, i have tested it.
    But, to be fair, it seems my gpu is about to die. If some graphics expert here want to take a look on this thread (http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-screens-and-reachin-99º-(but-not-throttling) ) I would be glad and grateful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.