What do i have to set up to get my CF working?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Revan, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Revan

Revan Registered

I have this system:

Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4500 MHz
    Asus Maximus V Formula
    2x HD6970 CF @ 950/1450 MHz CAT 12.8
    32 GB RAM
    One Dell 27" 2560x1440 Monitor

So why do i get this poor performance on rF2? It doesn`t matter if i run the game with one or two video cards, it is almost always stuttering, especially on Portugal i get 18-45 fps.

CPU works at 12-25% tops (can this be normal?).

MSI Afterburner tells me that both cards are working and loaded but there is no performance gain with CF enabled.

Even without CF i expect more performance or am i wrong? Is my System underpowered? Can`t believe that seriously.

CPU and GPU Load:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

First off, crossfire as well as SLI have issues when it comes to 2 cards running. You tend to get micro stutter when you use 2 or 4 cards. That being said, I am running a HD 6950 2Gb card with triple monitors and I am getting smooth frame rates, though I don't pay attention to what fps I get as that isn't important to me. With triple monitors I am getting probably around 25 to 60 for high and low, but could be way off.

Have you adjusted graphics settings to see what happens? With a single monitor I would imagine you could run pretty much everything maxed out, but the AA is still a frame rate killer. I would set the AA to 2x in the ccc as well as in game, and set the rest of the stuff on high and see what happens. If you still have issues after that, then there is likely something not setup right in the BIOS or there is an issue with one of your cards.

Have you tried with each card as a single in your system to see what happens? Make sure you physically pull the second card out of the system to test this as you don't want any possible interference from the other card.

Also, are those true HD 6970's or are they 6950's with the rom flashed to the 6970 firmware?

3. Snipe3000

Snipe3000 Registered

I have 4x 7970 with zero micro-stutter. ISI does not support multi-GPU in any shape or form, you'll have to turn it off.

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

There are a number of guys running multiple GPU's with no issues. Saying that ISI doesn't support it so you would have to turn it off is a bit silly. If others are able to run min 60fps with their setups and have it smooth, there is no reason with his similar setup that the OP can't.

5. Revan

Revan Registered

Hello, it ist a bit late but i haven`t got much time lately.

I have "real" HD6970, not modded.

I have a watercooled system so it is not so easy to remove one card. Lowering AA have also no performance gain on portugal.

Other Tracks are smooth, just Portugal seems to be very hard.

6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Your issue might be related to drivers, and there is a driver that was released just recently that might help you out. I think it's version is 12.11 beta? Make sure you do a complete uninstall of the previous driver prior to attempting to install the new one. There is a thread here that started a couple of days ago to discuss that beta driver.

7. Revan

Revan Registered

Cat 12.11 Beta is just for HD7xxx Cards. However, i tried it and no change: Portugal 18-45fps, Palm Beach 110-120fps

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

9. Revan

Revan Registered

Yes, the driver supports the HD6xxx cards but there is no performance gain for them. I will go back to 12.8 because my first card doesn`t clock down correct in idle.

10. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

You might and I stress might get better fps with crossfire enabled but the game feels smoother with only 1 gpu enabled, try it. I actually found it was the same with all the software I have, crossfire is for benchmarkers not gamers. I had triple crossfire 6870s and it was pants.

11. Devon

Devon Registered

Same issue as OP here, with dual pre-OC'ed 6970s. Framerate was so horrible (15-25) on all tracks with just one car running I gave up, hopefully this will be fixed by the time rF2 goes golden. I should stress that I have NO problem getting great Xfire results on my 2560 X 1600 Dell U3011 with ANY other sim (including rF1, all Simbins)- even the alphas of pCars run at a (vsync - limited) steady 60 fps at ultra graphics settings in DX11.

LOTS of work left to do here.

BTW the 12.11 beta driver solves the no-idling issues for the Radeon series introduced by 12.10.

12. lopsided

lopsided Registered

Hey guys, has anyone seen any improvement/changes using CF since the new rf2 build and/or drivers?

I have a HIS Iceq Turbo 6950 2GB... to CF or not to CF that is the question. lol

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Lopsided I have 2 HIS 6950 iceq turbos crossfire. Freaking amazing cards, both shaders unlocked to 6970 specs, and soooooooo cool, even the top card in crossfire barley gets warm. I am in love with HIS cards. I have no idea why the hardcore mainstream gamer guys are always going on about Asus, MSI, Sapphire without ever including HIS.

The HIS 6950 IceQ Turbo has a full 5 out of 5 rating on newegg out of about 300 reviews I never see that, usually the best products still have "only" a 4 or 4.5.

Crossfire it and overclock it man these cards are sick!!!

Or you can sell it and get a 7950, 7950 is around double the performance of a 6950, the 7950 has more potential with further overclocking though. You can get used 7950s for 235-260. New they are 280 (after mail in rebate) to 320 for the very best ones (HIS IceQ X2 and MSI Lightning, and the high end Sapphire one as well).

Sell your current card for 140-160, and get a 7950, same or better performance as crossfired 6950s, plus single card convenience, cooling, noise and smoothness, plus a big increase in performance in games with tessellation

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
  14. lopsided

lopsided Registered

Hi Spinelli, Thanks for the input, I wanted to mention that the only gaming I do is race sims. Does that influence your opinion on me using crossfire? Are you having any issues with stuttering?
    Bailey

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Stuttering only occurs for me when my frames are jumping up and down, or they are really low.

Vsync would fix it, but i can't drive with that input lag.

What I do is use a program to limit my frame rate (I use dxtory) I set it to 119 or 120, for RF I use the built in one in the notepad file. You can set it to whatever you like, 60 is fine too.

I have to admit though, when i disabled crossfire, and only enabled 1 card, everything was more fluid, it almost felt like I turned on vsync, like it was half way between vsync and non-vsync smooth, but that is one of those things where if I never tried it then I would have never noticed.

In battlefield bc2 i dont use a fps limiter or vsync, and I have no stutters, now like i stated above, I'm sure if I disabled 1 of the cards I might find it more glossy smooth, but there's nothing noticeable in bc2.

Bioshock I use the fps limiter at 60, it's beautiful.

Borderlands was perfect too at 60 fps limited. The only time I could notice any stuttering was when I was on a car driving fast and I would look at the scenery comming past me at the very very sides of the screen, they would sometimes look like they are hoping/stuttering/skipping towards me, j notice this in GTL as well, but it's only when i purposely look for it do I see it.

I would honestly sell the 6950 and get a 7950. It would be the same price, if not cheaper, no???

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

With the beta 13.2 drivers, the ATI cards should be smoother in crossfire and out of crossfire so the choice is slightly more difficult hehe. Getting the 7970 or the 7950 is probably the best way to go so that you won't have to replace the card later on though.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The problem so far is that the current leaked 13.2 with all the amazing frame skipping improvements, still don't fix multi-GPU + Eyefinity setups, only single screen multi-GPU :((((((

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Yeah, we can only hope they get something out soon that will address the issues as the cost for multi-GPU systems running the 7XXX series is not cheap, hehehe.