Wait for Plugins to load....FINALLY!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Sep 9, 2013.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

There already exists the option to Start Engine, it's in the PLR, so as far I can see Adrian it's very simple:

1) sit your friends into the motion rig
    2) Click Practice to go sit in the Car
    3) Wait 15seconds for the Plug In icon to Disappear
    4) Start the Engine and therefore no "sudden jolts" of the motion rig
    5) enjoy the Sim as we are!

or again am I missing something again!?!

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Do you think though that by default the wait for plugins option should be extended in the way I suggested, as we 'start the engine' currently by default, should we wait with that also? I'm currently not sure if they'll do it online at all yet.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah that could work, but for offline you'd need to extend the wait time as now when the plug ins load the red light countdown begins immediately, do you'd need more time between the two.

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya

Just been for a long run in heavy rain, gosh I'm mega zonked!

Anyway back to the plug in thingy, people/friends press the (enter simcar) button & imedantly press the accelaratation pedal
    (I don't bother saying anything now lol, they never seem to be able to wait )
    I thought about making a remote button that I press to start the engine (after the plug in delay icon disappears) so the person in the simulator has to wait for this & no delay & seamless natural feeling start in visual/motion/sound of the engine start etc I think I havnt gone through the trouble as some how I believed that the delay would be sorted in a future build etc.

The start engine feature I think is the work around key to this, If there was an option to have an engine start but only enabled after the plugin icon has disappeared -I.e we press the enter the simcar button then the engine start button is only active after the plugins are active, (think i posted this earlier in this thread)

then it's impossible for anyone to have the engine running without motion/vibration feeds, the 15 second delay really isn't the issue here or a problem, it's that unnatural kicking in "mid flight" of the hardware (which from assumed carparked position to a sudden accelarating car position can be quite aggressive) which is very very noticeable and I can't explain enough how annoying it is.

I hope I've not sounded disrespectful to any one, I hope I've posted constructively Etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
  5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

This last post helped confirm a way that I think we get resolve it in what should be an acceptable way for most, without undermining the reasons.

6. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

I don't have motion in my rig, but I do have bass shakers, a tach, speedo, gear readout and lap timers and counters that don't start until the plugins load. The gauges and readouts don't matter (except the gear readout), but it's mildly irritating to have the engine running and not feel any vibration. I fully realize this is about as "first world" as a problem can get, but it doesn't stop me from quietly cursing the devs every time I hit the Race button. ;)

The race delay is a big help for me. If I restart a race, I currently can't tell what gear I'm in until the plugins load. Personally, I'd rather the engine started immediately when hitting the Race button (even in practice), or at least making it an option. Revving the engine while waiting for the plugins to load gives me something to do besides pick my nose and drool on my shirt.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It is very easy for a plugin to know when it has first become active each time the car is entered, so ramping up from 0 to 'full' in 3-5 seconds would eliminate the jolt. It really ought to be doing that anyway.

I'm never going to have a motion setup at home so as requested I'll leave the main issue alone, with it being your thread and all. (oh wait... na, nevermind)