Wait for Plugins to load....FINALLY!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya

With Rf2 I use to test the software in offline practice mode, rf2 was maybe taking up around 15% of my sim time (mainly use iracing)
    I did spend parts of a weekend testing the online aspects by hosting my own server on a 2nd pc (a few friends joined) which was really a test possibly for the future.

I don't use AI's

Using a few plugins which include a motion Rig & simvibe there's nothing more unrealistic then the car (the rig) suddenly coming to life after a delay each & every time the simcars reset

The delay looks as though it's a permanent feature, it's ISI software they have the right to do what ever they want I guess.

From an irratation perspective imagine if it also effected the ffb on the wheel, now multiply the irratation that would eventually cause by about x4 )-:

I've pretty much given up on rf2 now but will keep an eye on any developments in the future just in case things take a turn for the better etc, shame as there are some really good things about the software.

( all just my own honest opinion etc )

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
  2. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Ouch, I somehow imagined and feared this. ISI, is there really no way to get rid of the delay, please?

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

P.s a possible "work around" could be a forced push button manual start of the simcar engine, but this is not enabled until the plug delay icon has disappeared

Thus the software would then seem solid & seamless In this respect.

it does feel broken when using motion/vibration feed etc as it is right now, I'm totally amazed that no one at ISI seems even bothered by it etc

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You guys have motion platforms at home?

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hi Tim

Yes ( 4 dof of motion ) & x4 vibration units

After about 3 years of testing/prototyping ( & about £10,000 ) & getting everything just right in this hardware/setup -the choice & quality of software is very important,considering this I think my trying to express my frustration of the delay in rf2 (in hope that something can be done) may start to become understandable ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
  6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

if server admins can't do it already then the wish (as stated elsewhere) to allow them to delay race starts to a set time period, then plug ins would load.

of course if there's a warm up lap then surely that's enough for now? because they'd load whilst you're on that so well before the race start

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya marcg

There are users of rf2 that practice much more time than racing, the break in immersion is perhaps the worse thing here
    Not so much of wanting to only feel the vibrations of the car & being thrown around only just before the green light during a race

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, can easily increase the delay before race start. We've got ours on a minute, so with the 15 second delay you could hit Race after 30 seconds, and still have 15 seconds fully operational even before a formation lap (or race start).

Depends how you practice I guess. And that's not having a shot, I'm just aware some people like to do half-laps testing things, I prefer to do at least several laps to try and separate whatever adjustment I'm testing from mistakes or variation in my driving that would mask the effects of those adjustments - plus if I'm tweaking a set I want it tweaked for warm tyres/brakes rather than cold.

In the end it's up to you whether it's that much of a deal breaker or not. If I were going for immersion I'd want to be driving around to the grid myself (not something I've ever set up, but I gather it's possible) so if I had to wait an extra 15 seconds before 2 minutes driving around the track in preparation for the race start it wouldn't really bother me. As for testing/practice, the only real downside I can see was what was mentioned above - if the camera is left in an unuseable position it really is forcing you to wait. If ISI just fix that (reset the camera position) you can start rolling out of the pits etc before everything kicks in (and if there's a 'jolt' - why not get the plugin that handles your rig to smoothly move into position in the first second or two of activation? Assuming a zero-start probably isn't very neat anyway)

And Adrian - my first mention of 'the button' was purely in reference to yours, and that's why I quoted your first post you mentioned it in. Small point, but worth making...

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

..hi lazza

Could you let us know which specific plugins you have currently in use?

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I don't get it Adrian if you're just testing then can't you simply wait for the plug ins to kick in before going out on track?

or am I missing something?

are your plug ins taking longer to start working? If so how long exactly?

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya marcG

I'll time it on next install (after next build/content update)
    But around the 15 to 20 secs sounds about right

Waiting is no problem (if we really must)
    There is no vibration or motion during the delay yet there is engine sound & use of the sim car
    (Sli pro display delay but that's not so bad)

The best way I can describe it is imagine it also effecting the ffb wheel (no forces during the delay) & they kick in everytime 15 (ish) seconds later then multiply the irritation of this by about x4 (the feel of the whole car)

If the delay has to stay (it looks like it does) then a push button start engine could be introduced but ONLY enabled after the plug in delay is over

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah the delay is 15 seconds, as lazza says you can delay the start for online so it really isn't an issue anymore and certainly not a game breaker imo.
    ...patience is the key, if you don't have that then you'll never be happy!

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Realism is the key for me, patience isn't a problem

The delay in vibrations & motion is the most unrealistic thing
    to me

Perhaps it's difficult to imagine if you don't use these type of plugins yourself etc

I've pretty much shelved rf2 as I now mainly use Iracing (no delay what so ever)
    so I'm pretty happy

14. 88mphTim

I'm still confused as to how this really has this much of an effect on you as a home user.

It's not realistic for you to have an engine sound, but not vibration/motion until the plugins kick in, even though with the 'wait for plugins' you would be stationary for this in a race. While in practice or qualifying, you're saying that driving during the first 15 seconds of a practice session is important to you? Am I understanding that this is the issue serious enough for you to not use the software at all?

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I dont get it at all, 15seconds to wait and you say Patience is'nt a problem?!?! and that you've shelved RF2?! well you're missing out massively, simple as! :rolleyes:

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Is this where I say I don't use any headmotion/rigmotion/other plugin and you say I therefore don't know what it's like?

I do use a motec plugin, and for league purposes also another plugin I made to generate beeps at defined RPM points (for shifting) and also to indicate DRS status. This final one sounds a 'test' beep as soon as the plugin activates, and not once have I been out of the pits at that point. So I can't see any normal situation where a plugin isn't active when you're actually on track.

If the pause isn't breaking what the plugin does when it is active, and if the plugin being inactive for that time doesn't make it impossible to do anything, I don't see a huge issue there. As I said, if there's a physical jolt on a motion rig when the plugin kicks in, that's for the plugin to fix.

And this only happens when you first jump in the car. I would suggest most people aren't jumping in and out of the car often enough for this to be too irritating. No point driving a sim at all if you can't drive a few laps without crashing etc.

17. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

I use 2dof motion and simvibe at home and have Oculus Rift so it can be frustrating :D
    Motion was always the most frustrating. I only race offline and there's nothing worse than starting a race and 10secs or so later the motion kicks in and throws you back or to the side etc.

18. 88mphTim

And with the newly added Wait for Plugins functionality, how is it now?

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya the plug in delay I find to be very annoying, yes the 1st 15 seconds is important
    & I'm pretty much fed up with trying to explain to people who are having demo of my gear (during the time that rf2 was my 1st choice of software for demos) that my hardware isn't broken but its a fault in the software (sorry should I be calling it a feature? )

I don't or have never used rf2 to race at this stage in its continuing development

Tim -yes the 1st 15 seconds of entering that sim car is very important, the sudden vibration of the engine the car slightly rocking (moving slightly to the side) when pressing the accelerator for that first time,
    as opposed to nothing (ok we have visual & sound & ffb in the wheel ) then the car suddenly (usually when just cleared the pits) throwing a total wobbly at the point the plug ins kick in & the actuators move at about 500 miles per hour to correct ( in would be in mili seconds but can't be bothered to look at tech stuff),
    It's irritating & annoying to me but I also think if people that visit my place especially to try my setup , I'm sure you've been on a track day .....remember that feeling when you first start the engine & push the accelerator ?

I wouldn't say this is the only reason I've shelved rf2, rf2 has some great features, right now it's just not at the stage in its development that it can suit my needs, I do check on it after most builds or sometimes content releases,
    The plug in delay is a bit if a sim killer though I must admit I really don't think it will really take off with me in the future when such a problem exists ( problem to me & my setup etc that is )

Rf2 with this problem would really not be a 1st choice for people or companies using motion IMHO ( I think commercial places/race teams use rfactor pro though )

Markg -it's not a patience problem (I did question this though) , when testing or practising one sometimes has to reset many times, especially sone one who is using a race sim for the first time (people demo-int my setup etc)

Lazza -yes it is , your off the mark here matey, in the nicest & most inoffensive way could I ask you to please stop engaging me on this matter -maybe if you get or try a motion rig with this delay then youll better informed.

P.s sorry about typos I'm on my iPhone 0-:

20. 88mphTim

You're not able to start the practice session, wait 15s, before pressing the accelerator for the first time? I think it's quite likely that we can just not start the cars engine (make it wait for plugins also) for 15s after you enter the practice session, if you like? I don't understand why on earth, knowing about this issue, you would force yourself to be in motion, racing your way out of the pits, when the plugins activate.

Who exactly are these people you have trying your stuff?

Very few do, actually. Most use retail software because very few need the additional access Pro gives, or have the finances to effectively license our engine. Also, commercial users don't have the concerns retail customers do in terms of making sure their opponents are using the same software that they are in the same race, because they're the ones in control of their software. What commercial customers do tend to care about, is how quickly they can get bodies in and out of the cockpit and they - if they bother to contact us to get the commercial licensing they should have - wouldn't have to worry about this issue anyway.

With regards your reply to Markg, I'm utterly bewildered as to why you are concerned about and trying to use the first 15s at the very beginning of a session, forcing yourself to be in motion, etc. Unless, of course, moving these people through your cockpit as fast as possible is a priority, which would be an indicator that it's hardly a friendly "demo" session?