VR and game configuration to get 80 stable FPS

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Ciccina2016, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

Good morning

Expectations

I would like to run the game with 20 AI with day&night transitions using only STD content ( no mod) in a track like Sebring or Indianapolis at 80 FPS Stable.

Hardware
    I recently upgraded my graphics card from a GTX 1070 to a RTX 2080s.
    My CPU is a I7 8700 and I own 16 gb or RAM.
    Oculus Rift S.

Software
    i use STEAM VR to run the Oculus and I lanch the game in VR HDM with Sync set to NONE, AA set to level 3 and Post Effects set to Medium.

Issue
    Stuttering
    Despite the decent hardware , I experience stuttering when running the game .
    Unfortunately, I have to run the game in offline mode as online is not realy active at the moment and therefore CPU is stressed a lot by the AI,
    ASW
    I tried setting a race with 20 AI at Sebring and ASW kicks in setting FPS to 40 and when it doesn't activate and I can have also massive FPS drops.

Experience with other simulators
    AC
    After a lot of tweaking , I am able to run AC at 80 FPS but I run mostly online.
    Also, I did not install any mod such as SOL as when I did , the performance deteriorated quickly
    Raceroom
    No way I can run at 80 FPS, I tried everything
    AMS2
    80 fps flat

Any help?

2. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

atomed likes this.
  3. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

thank you @DrivingFast , I will now try your suggestions.
    I can see you have a much more powerful CPU and faster RAM than mine , also I noticed you locked the time scale and time so you avoid time transiction.
    Can you confirm that if you set a race at sunset you get worse performance due to shadows and reflections?

4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Apart from the graphic settings, the following things have a gigantic influence on the performance :

Rain and to some extent the clouds, the day night time scale cycle (in particular sunrise and sunset + night), number of AI and especially ... AI visible.

I hate VR reprojection (ASW), so I gave up everything except graphic details (circuit + cockpit + textures) + 30 AI + 6 AI visible only + 130% of supersampling and improvement of the quality of nvidia control panel and AA level 5.

Thus, even the most poorly optimized track of rF2 (Nurbugring GP S397. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:) works in 80 FPS with a correct image quality but without rain, without day-night cycle, only 30 AI, only 6 AI visible, function Auto FPS UI enabled to 80 FPS and ...... No graphic effects enabled (shadows, reflections, rain, special effects, post effects ......). But the GTX 1080 is the equivalent of a GTX 680 for a full HD screen ...... Really very insufficient.

EDIT
    Every graphic setting which is linked with day/night cycle is worse with time scale and low sun.

If you never use rain, deactivate rain + road reflection effects. You will save FPS even if it wierd.

Filip likes this.