Video animations?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Jorgen, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Does rF2 do video animations in a similar fashion to how rF1 did? I have a few .bik (Bink video) files that are mapped as the texture in combination with an animation type of "Video" in a track conversion I'm working on, but leaving them enabled crashes the game during track loading. Can these still be done, and if so, how? The track technology PDF mentions frame buffer animations, but that seems more like playback of what's happening on screen in the game, not a playback of a pre-recorded movie.

2. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Now that 3DSimED is updated, the game doesn't crash on these animations anymore, but the videos do not play. (And I do have "Play Movies=1" in my player file, which I didn't at first, doh...) Does anyone know if these types of movie animations are still supported? ISI?

3. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

They haven't even been mentioned internally for quite a few years, so it's fair to assume they are no longer supported. If they are, they're obviously not working right now :) . For now, I'd suggest using a placeholder test TV signal image or, if possible, use the Frame Buffer. It looks great in trackside camera views :) .

4. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

I'm thinking of videos like the ones above the start/finish straights in Singapore and Abu Dhabi. Frame buffer videos won't do there, so is there an alternative? (but frame buffers are of course great for jumbotron TV screens, pit wall monitors etc) It would be good if someone "in the loop" could hint on whether they are supposed to work or if there's something new in the works.

5. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

I can see your point, but there are no plans to support them, sorry.
    You could try using a texture animation though, with the still frame between each transition being repeated X times.

6. ethone

ethone Registered

For the jumbotrons at the tracks a proper .bik is much more accurate. I haven't checked in a while but early on the frame buffer had a bug in the exporter, I couldn't get it to work with 3ds max 2010 or 2011 but another member of the team got it to work using 8. Only to find out that it had alpha sorting issues which was bad news for jumbotrons behind fences...

If you try the frame buffer material, please let me know if it works now. :)

7. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

And without .bik, I won't be able to get a proper jumbotron. I made a short one for Indy rF1, and it had around 300 frames. Frame by frame won't be practical.
    Too bad it disappeared since it was in rF :(

View attachment 4578

8. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Has anyone got the frame buffer to work? and how do you do it?