Upgraded mod with single choices, weird behaviour

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by DanRZ, Nov 21, 2023.

1. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Hello, i tried to upgrade the very last F499P.

I used the Upgrade ini file and only leave one choice to make a future BOP.
    And now i have some weird behaviour ...

In the Customize part where you select the car i got some random datas, changing ... very weird.
    Capture.PNG > "Customize" > Capture2.PNG > "Exit" >Capture3.PNG

Here is the item have made where i only created 2 .mas instead of one and modified the ini file
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3091248982
    It appears in "Event by Taytous" menu not Ferrarri group ...

Anyone have any idea what's going on ?

Is it only in my game ? Same trouble with the Porsche 963 ...

Thanks.

PS : I also uploaded two ini file, the original and the new. The veh still refers to the same original name.

Edit : I removed the LocalStorage and Settings in player folder and everything was ok the very first time. But once i get to other cars and get back to these i get the weird behaviour in Customize ... o_O

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  2. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Always the same issue, first time works perfectly but when i select another one i have the weird list in Customize.

o_O

Still not a big issue, the upgrade works, but annoying visually.

Edit : Tried with 2 choices, still the same bug ...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Unable to download the whole item to check, but this doesn't sound right. I know you're creating an "upgrade", but I think you should be making a standalone car (with its own name) otherwise you'll get issues with conflicts. I'd also check you're using valid version numbers (upgrade from, and the new one) to make sure it won't cause issues. (IIRC: upgrade from the even number, new number the next (odd) one with a 3? letter extension)

I don't think the upgrade file itself is an issue.

4. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Thanks, i will try to make my own full package in one rfcmp ... and see if it works better.
    Nice idea ...

I'm really used to that method with the BTCCs for example
    (Adjusted fuel capacity, tyres restrictions, ...) and it works perfectly.

There is a singularity on this car (Same issue with the P963 ..) i think ...

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Some 6 hours later it's occurred to me I was likely wrong there. Your approach should probably work normally, so there must be some specific factors influencing this. Sharing of assets usually creates some issues, so it may just take even a single remaining car with the same filenames to produce inconsistent behaviour.

6. redapg

redapg Registered

@DanRZ I didn't check your rfcmp, but if you make an Update rfcmp with a new Upgrades.ini, you have to update to Version 1.01 in Case of the F499P, because the car_upgrades.mas in the 1.01 Folder contains the Upgrades.ini that you want to update.
    I would suggest to create a mas File that contains your modified Upgrades.ini and then create a rfcmp with that mas File and a Version Number like 1.01DanBob for Example and make it an Update to 1.01.
    That normally should work then.

Lazza likes this.
  7. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Hello, my rfcmp is already an upgrade of 1.00 called 1.01C22.

I make it like that for a lot of cars and never had this issue.

Thinking of it, it may be an error in the HDV= list.

I probably broke some rule like the blank HDV= juste before [General] or multiple [General] that resets the list or disturb the software in a way that make it show the broken list.

I will try to add elements one by one, or remove them one by one and see when the issue occurs.

8. redapg

redapg Registered

Read my Post again, i've said "and make it an Update to 1.01" not to 1.00.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
    Matt21 likes this.
  9. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Ok, i didn't understood it correctly, sorry.
    I never had to do such thing.
    rF2 does some kind of overload, but i would be overloading an already overloaded mod ...
    There is definitely something different unusual in the 1.00.

And, server side, you can't install multiple versions in the same "odd" version.

I can't install 1.00, 1.01 and my 1.01C22. I need to remove the 1.01. Only the client/game accepts that, not the dedicated ... I had issues with that previously.

It would work if i upgrade the 1.01C22 to 1.01 maybe ...

10. redapg

redapg Registered

The Problem is, that, if you try to install such Things with the ModMgr.exe on the dedicated Server, the Mod Manager will not detect the new Update, because it can not detect an Update of an Update.
    So you'll have to install it in your Game, copy it and paste it into the Dedicated Server Install.
    But as said, in this Case, where you only modify the Upgrades.ini, you have to update to 1.01, because that contains the Upgrades.ini.
    If you update to 1.00, you'll end with 2 Upgrade.ini Files with the same File Name but different Content and that will cause "Confusion" to the whole Component.
    There are different Ways to create such Updates, which depend on what you want to achieve.
    BTW It would be much easier, if S397 would not split their Components in 2 Versions.
    They also could put it into 1 Version, that contains the encrypted and the unencrypted mas Files.
    Maybe i miss something, but i see no Necessity, to split Components into 2 Versions.

11. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

In the majority of the items i have upgraded till now, i think there is no Upgrade.ini at all in the base mod (1.00 here).
    I'm starting to think that in the F499P and the P963 they have already put an Upgrade.ini in the 1.00. In the 1.01, the Upgrade.ini is the same and works well. But then whatever you do, if you modify the Upgrade.ini you will get the issue i have.

By the way, the issue seems to only be a GUI display bug, because it works well the very first time. Customize is right. But when you change car and get back, then the bug appears ...

You will always need a base and a final mod.
    You can upgrade the base in any way you want, and modify skins, bop, upgrades, classes.
    In the client (game) it will have all the versions with only one base (crypted) locked.

For some GT3s i have 4 upgrades :
    3.54, 3.55, 3.55C22, 3.55GST, 3.55LFM
    And all versions work perfectly in the game, i can go on any server, official, Coach22, GT3 Star Tour, LFM with the same car in different mod.
    If everybody have redone the all things i will have 3x too much disk space used.
    Why multiply the base to only upgrade a few things.
    Even skins shouldn't be in the base mod, to leave modders add the skins they want and not have the defaults skins or upgrades too.

That is the way i see it ...

Some modders like the Alpine A480 LMh are using a standalone mod in a non "odd" version, 1.48 ... That should not exist but works.
    If you want to upgrade it you have no choice and must do a full standalone mod with the base mas.
    That is an error for me. But maybe i'm wrong ...

There is a lot of hidden rules lost in the way things and persons evolved here.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
  12. redapg

redapg Registered

@DanRZ Seems as if we have an unresolvable Misunderstanding here.

13. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Differents experiences, different cases, different solutions :D

I have difficulties to test things on this topic, but i will continue experiencing solutions. Die'n'retry ...

Thanks to you on trying to solve this by expressing your point of view. I appreciate ...

I can be wrong but i need to have evidences.

14. redapg

redapg Registered

My Statements are not "Point of Views" only.
    As said, the Way to create Updates, mainly depends on what you want to achieve.
    But there are also some Necessities for that you have to take Care for.

15. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

I should have said "By your side" instead of point of view, sorry.

That is what i can't understand here.
    The only necessity i think i have is to start from 1.00 and then only add the skins i want, the brand logo, the Upgrade.ini like i need and Tracks config if needed.

What am i missing here ?

16. redapg

redapg Registered

As said, it depends on what you want to achieve.
    And, of course, the Structure of the Component, for that you want to create an Update.
    For Example:
    If you want to update the Upgrades.ini of a Mod that has a "Base" Version like 1.0 for Example, that contains the Physics, Sounds, Meshes and Textures and a Version 1.1, that contains the Cars/Teams and all related Files and also the Upgrades.ini (like in a DLC Component), you have to update to 1.1.
    If you update to 1.0, you'll have 2 different Upgrade ini Files with the same File Name and that can/will cause Problems.

If you want to add a Skin Pack, you can update to 1.0, if you put all necessary Files into your Update rfcmp.
    And if you want to use a modified Upgrades.ini for your Skin Pack, i would recommend to give it another Name than what the original Upgrades.ini has, to avoid any Conflicts.

In the Past it wasn't possible to create an Update of an Update for Car Components.
    So the whole System still seems to be WIP.

There may be different Ways to create Updates, but as you did experience, they will not always work flawlessly, if you don't care for some "Rules" (i would call them Necessities).

17. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Actually i just want to get the base 1.00 base of the F499P and the P963 and add only the skins i choose.
    For the moment i only have the two base skins ...

And i need to "fix" the Upgrades to only one choice 520 kW, no balllast and Tyres with Warmers.
    What i've done works perfectly ... or at least i guess it works (Max speed is relative to 520 kW).

Here is what i have : F499P_1.01C22.png (Player side. Server has no 1.01, only 1.01C22)

And by doing the sceenshot i just saw that i have two veh files in the #50 skin :eek:.

I like to use multiple mas files, one with logo, upgrade, track config, and one for each skin.
    It is easier to add skins and edit upgrades, ... i only edit one "lighter" .mas file fast to recreate.

Am i doing something wrong by doing that ? Separating mas files ?
    On other mods i have no issue ( Oreca07.png a lot of skins ... easier to edit instead of one big .mas that takes hours to save properly ...)

And i will correct the #51 veh in the #50 mas ... maybe it causes some issues too.

Attached Files:

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Since forever in rF/rF2, people have deviated from the examples and when it works they run with it. Then other people start their own mods based on those, and before you know it half the content out there is doing 'wrong' things, which still work... until an update or code change means they don't.

Part of the reason for this, or two reasons, are:
    1. The game doesn't stop you doing it the wrong way (in regards to versions, devs have previously explained why it's not feasible to force the right way)
    2. There is no clear guide saying "Do this; DON'T do that". Like the skin packaging guide - it mentions versions, and not following it will almost certainly cause issues for users down the track, but if you miss that single item out of a multi-page guide you just don't realise it. (some groups have been belligerent in maintaining their wrong procedures here, actually ignoring direct and explicit advice from devs, and tens or even hundreds of users end up with content issues when the DLC updates... so it's not always lack of knowledge, but some almost superstitious stubbornness that perpetuates the wrong processes on their part)

DanRZ likes this.
  19. redapg

redapg Registered

@DanRZ My first answer to this Thread was given, because you wrote that you want to update the Upgrades.ini of the F499P and you did it by updating to V 1.00.
    Then i've checked the Mod and have seen that the 1.01 of the Mod contains the Upgrades.ini and so i did answer, that you have to update to 1.01, if you want to update the Upgrades.ini.
    And that is, what i call a Necessity.
    Now you are talking about Skin Packs, which is a much more complex Thing.
    As @Lazza has said, there is no "absolute" Documentation about these Things and there is a lot that you can do wrong.

And also your Statement
    is making me wondering.
    Why do you think that it should not exist?
    That still is a valid Structure.
    And you don't have to make a full Standalone Mod of it, if you want to update it with a modified Upgrades.ini for Example.

Or do we maybe also have a Misunderstanding with the Term "Update"?

20. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

I wrote wrongly, i didn't want to say "upgrade the Upgrade.ini", i never do that, but i wanted to upgrade the 1.00 base and so add my own Upgrade.ini in a 1.01C22. So i don't need the 1.01 at all in fact, it only helps me finding datas/files to overload.

I think we don't understand well each other, sorry. I apologize ...

By experience i can imagine what rules need to be used. All the s397 use a base version with the crypted data, base car/track and all the rest is in the "odd" version. Always. Why do differently ?
    We can, for sure, but we shouldn't ...

By calling it 1.01C22 i probably broke some rules, i was inspired by LFM who i saw do that too.

We probably can use litteral version like a.bc it will work. Can i do that too ? I answer NO, don't do that, even if it works, you're breaking the rule, or at least, my rules, which i follow strictly because i think they are the good ones.

There is a few things that works well but are still wrong, valid and working but still wrong.

My bug here is probably something wrong from me or the mod creators.
    Now, i would love to find what causes this ...

Maybe we will never find.

Thanks to you to try too. I learn a lot from these discussions.

;)