Upcoming Directory Changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeremy Miller, Jul 8, 2014.

1. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

If you don't install to c:/ Program files (32 or 64) you shouldn't have files all over the place. I and others do not use default install path, the only thing outside of rF2 folder are the log in credentials and they are stored in c/users/username/appdata/roaming/.rfactor

2. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I don't use default install path, no.

Read RJames' post :)

3. Scott Beck

Scott Beck Registered

I don't use the default path either. I like all my files in one main folder.

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Anyone using default paths? ;)

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

C:\Games\Rfactor2 <--- everything in there!

Cheers Jeremy for the info, looks good.

6. Gupster

Gupster Registered

I use default path for unstable testing. My main install is C:\rFactor2

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

My installs are like this:
    Core:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\<buildNumber>

DataPath:
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\rFactor2\<buildNumber>

So all my datapaths are in one folder and all my cores are in another. Nice and organized. The key though is that stuff the needs to be written is where it should be which is in %userprofile%. I mix and match datapaths and cores from time to time. <buildNumber> isn't always a build number though. I also have one for my league, ect ect. I would rather keep the DataPath and Core separate because the devs sort of assume people install it that way.

I don't really maintain an official Packages folder anymore. I have components organized all over the place. If I want to install one I just double click on it without even bothering with the ModMgr. Or if I want to install a bunch at once I highlight them all and then right click and select Install.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What will the current working dir be on plugin startup? At the moment it points to the main install folder, so Core is a subfolder. Will it now point to the Launcher folder?

9. Emery

Emery Registered

Wait, you can do that? OK, that's a trick I never thought of trying.

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just in case the point of this is being missed.....

A plugin is currently 'installed' by putting it in the Plugins folder. With 64bit now available two versions of the plugin can be put into this single Plugins folder, which also means any plugin data can sit in a subfolder ("Plugins\Pluginname\datafile.blah") and both the 32 bit and 64 bit version of the plugin can get to that data by referencing the "Plugins\Pluginname\" folder from the cwd (which is the main install folder).

The new folder structure, with Bin32 and Bin64 folders, each with their own Plugins subfolder, means the two .dlls are split. That's fine for installation, but it means you need to know where to look to find the plugin data. In some cases it may make sense to have different data for the two plugin versions, but I think for the most part both will use the same data, so you'd only want it stored once. If we use the usual method of a subfolder sitting in the plugins folder that means choosing to put it in either the Bin32\Plugins folder or the Bin64\Plugins folder (which will probably be confusing for some users, because they'll automatically look in the Binxx they're actually using).

Now, maybe it makes more sense to store any such plugin data/configuration files in the data path, which can be found in Core\data.path (and in the absence of any info can be checked either in the current or parent folder, since right now we don't know if the cwd will be the main install folder or under Launcher), but that would probably be made neater if some sort of PluginsData folder were put into the data path (rather than each plugin creating its own folder there).

So, two issues here really. Need a sensible place to put plugin data/config, and would be preferable that we know what the cwd will be on plugin startup to avoid a lot of double checking.

Sorry to jump back on-topic...