Upcoming Directory Changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeremy Miller, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

layout.png

layout2.png
    I figured it would be best to give a little warning about a significant change to the upcoming update. Above you will see the new layout for rFactor2. Bin32 and Bin64 are new directories which hold executable binaries of 32 and 64 bit, respectively.

As you can see, there is a Plugins directory beneath both Bin32 and Bin64. This is where *.dll files should be located. This is includes third party plugins built using our internal plugins interface. As of right now, internal plugins stored in Bin64/Plugins still need to be postfixed with *_x64.dll.

The Launcher directory contains all dynamically loaded libraries and executable files need to run the Launcher. The Launcher, being a separate program, is now isolated in its own path.

Core has everything else is once had minus the files moved to Bin32 and Bin64.

Everything in Users\<Username>\Documents\rFactor remains unchanged.

Why do this?

First, we need a concrete way to communicated the file difference between 32 and 64 bit builds. This layout should make it clear.
    Second, Anti malware/virus programs can easily whitelist our binaries based on paths (including plugins).
    Third, Keeping the filenames the same name, between 32 and 64 bit, means third party applications need only look for rFactor2.exe. Most significantly this has to-do with GPU drivers and their detection (based on executable file name) and subsequent application of optimized settings for rFactor2.exe.
    Fourth. Automation, the latest Launcher will run the 64 bit build if it can (you can out put of this behavior). No longer will the end user be required to modify file names in protected directories to run the 64 bit executables.

Breaking changes. 3rd Party plugins will not be loaded until they are moved into Bin32/Plugins or Bin64/Plugins

Disclaimer: We may tweak this before the next update is built. I will announce those changes in this thread if that occurs.

2. Eddy

Eddy Registered

thnx for this info Jeremy, i'm not fully aware of what it all means but i'm sure it will become clear once released

3. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Well, I didn't understand what are speaking about, but I hope that it won't be so complicated .

4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Looks like the installer puts the 32 and 64bit exe's in appropriate folder. You don't have to rename them anymore.
    In the launcher you choose 32 or 64, but you will be responsible with putting 32 or 64bit plugins in the 32 or 64bit bin/plugins folder.

5. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Thank you, no problem, seems to be clear.

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It sounds much more logical this way. I understand that the option to execute 32 or 64 will be in launcher where it should always had been.

7. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Good communication thanks :)

8. canastos

canastos Registered

Sounds good to me!, thanks for the info, keep it going :)

byyyyyyyye

9. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Give the man a sticky. :p

10. PMC

PMC Registered

A sticky ? In case your not familiar with the forums Jeremy there's a News and Notifications forum for this sort of thread ;)

11. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

So at the moment I have everything installed under the rFactor2 directory, will I have to put the other files (Installed,Packages, ect) into .\user\*\documents\rFactor2 ?? Or will my setup ok? I think it's easier the way I have it now.

SS

12. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

There is??? Guess I'm glad they post rF2 news in THIS rF2 thread then, because I would have missed this.

13. PMC

PMC Registered

Yes there is , and since the new forum set out every body should be clicking on the ' Forum Home ' tab at the top of the page to catch up on the other forums , that or reset your book marked forum to that one .

I for one would like to see a lot more threads created in that specific forum :)

14. Gerald Jacobson

Gerald Jacobson Registered

You can keep your installation

15. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

OK, how it is clear.

16. RJames

RJames Registered

Just so long as we can still choose the location for the packages etc away from the horrible mydocs area! then all is golden.

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

What is horrible about keeping user data in the area that the whole industry keeps user data?

18. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

It's nice to have it all in one location? :)

19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I wouldn't call.it horrible but for me is a disturbing process. I dont like to have the core in program files and I have it in a separatw partition just for rF2 and modding: my d: drive.

Since I change default folder to there, rF2 installation program suggests the same path for data folder. I always accept and keep installed data specific for each build within the same core folder. It is certainly comfortable for working.

I share packages folder with the virtual directory creating tool you linked in an old thread (vshell link I think was the name). I erase the original package folder and substitute it with the virtual one. All installed builds share that folder. It is better to do it this way since using downloaded components and vmods via getmod will not be saved in an external path.

I sometimes share also installed content, manifests replays and setups.... maintaining specific plr files for each build.

I guess depending on the use you give to rF2, a specific installation configuration will suit best.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Right, I get all that and I do a lot of stuff like that to. But this phobia of conforming to standards that people have is odd to me. I guess it's the developer in me that hates when people insist on rejecting standards. It just makes for more coding to account for people that hate standards.

I personally like the idea of only really having to backup %userprofile% rather than several places all over the disk. There are tons of programs that will write to %userprofile% without even giving you an option. So rather than having my own place to store data (just because I want to be different) and then having to back up that folder and also %userprofile%. I just leave everything in %userprofile% and call it a day. To each their own though.

If you have an SSD and one to segregate some stuff here and some stuff there then use mklink I guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014