Unknown Graphics Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlaringFiddle5, Sep 4, 2012.

1. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

I purchased rFactor2 over the weekend. What I can't figure is why, when I play, it looks like how shall I say... crap! But looking at screenshots (including user screenshots on thread here) it does not look like crap - in fact looks very crisp. Some folks have Depth of field focus which looks especially nice. Here are specs of my PC:

Intel i7 3770 3.4ghz (quad core)
    16GB RAM (corsair)
    EVGA Nvidia Geforce gtx 680 w/ 2GB GDDR5 RAM (latest card - 690 isn't out yet)
    odd and various things: intel based motherboard (ASUS) - corsair 240GB SSD - ASUS DVD drive
    Acer LED backlit 24" display (1080p or 1920x1080 progressive scan in the old speak).

iRacing looks fantastic with all settings maxed and doesn't even put a dent in processor/video card/ram

I haven't looked to see if rFactor2 utilizes processor etc... I have settings all set to absolute max and all special effects turned on...

Is there something I'm missing? Some trick in Beta that I need to do? Some text file edit? I have looked around on forums and things and have seen nothing...

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Turn on HDR

3. BlaringFiddle5

HDR is on as far as I can tell - is there some way to turn it on other than in the setup screen before you launch game? Forgot to mention - windows 7 64bit

4. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

FXAA creates a sort of 'depth of field' effect, but really it just blurs things further away (it doesn't have a focus effect). You could try turning it on if you haven't though.

With your computer you could run 2x or 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling to get rid of any jaggies (such as the white lines and fences), but you will need Nvidia Inspector to turn that setting on (it's not an option in the basic Nvidia driver settings).

Apart from that you've probably seen rFactor2 at it's best so far. HDR is better than no HDR (in my opinion) but it does make the whole game extremely bright and over-saturated in sunny conditions. Also the nice screen shots you've seen may have been edited to apply depth of field etc.

Try driving with HDR at 8am or 9am time of day (or 5pm) to see the game at it's best, the shadows on the track can create nice lighting effects. The graphics engine does have a very 'clunky' feel at the moment though (it feels a bit dated), but I'm hoping it will improve some day.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
  5. dandar

dandar Registered

Can you please post some screenshot ? So we can figure out what u need to do.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It's just a matter of fiddling untill ou get it right,

I use
    track detail : med
    Opponent detail : full
    Own detail: full
    Shadows : med
    Effects : med

No FXAA
    HDR on

Etc, just find settings that are nicely within what your system can handle, I prefer low AA & AF to make sure reduced lag & nice lose feel to the sim

I use iracing also, their newer tracks look nice but they are way behind rf2 visually IMO , rf2's dynamic track & lighting is really going in the right direction

7. BlaringFiddle5

It is extremely washed out. Maybe that is what I am seeing. I do have FXAA turned on .. have anti-alias set at 8x and anistropic filtering set at 16x ... I get no 'depth of field' effect that i can detect .. but maybe that is due to washout... also forgot to mention that rfactor2 is build 107 (I think? the latest - whatever)

Here is 6pm sunny on the track:
    http://users.network1.net/~dankney/6pm%20sunny%20track.png

Here is 6pm overcast on the track:
    http://users.network1.net/~dankney/6pm%20overcast%20track.png

Here is 6pm overcast in the garage area:
    http://users.network1.net/~dankney/6pm%20overcast%20garage.png

Here is example screenshot from someone else:
    http://isiforums.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=3719&d=1345665880

see how mine is washed out ?

8. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

That last screenshot is mine, and personally I don't like it (I think it is overbright and colourful/cartoony), however I think it is just the time of day difference between our screenshots. My screenshot was taken at 10am on a clear day, or maybe with slight clouds (can't remember), at Spa.

Time of day and the direction you are driving (towards or away from sun/clouds) can have a big effect as to whether you get a nice blue sky or the white-looking 'washed out' sky in your screenshots.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Those screenshots don't look that bad to me

Have a fiddle in your nvidia control panel check that there is an rfactor (2) there & working maybe try few diferent settings etc

Things seem to change from build to build (the visual overall look ) for me so now I don't take to much time trying to optimise or make things look better etc, but obviously I will do when rf2 goes gold,

Some builds certain visual effects work others certain ones don't etc depends on your hardware, all part of the beta process,
    Just spend 30mins making sure its looking ok, solid fps and enjoy each build as it comes

I'm fairly confident when it goes gold though it will be sim heaven and all our wildest dreams will come true.

10. Tony

Tony Registered

This is a tin-top thing, with HDR on it enhances the effect of "brightness" outside the car & "darker" inside.. bit similar to the Monaco tunnel effect but tuned down!

Prove this by two methods - press the "look behind" while in-car & you'll see the track darken a little. Or go to same track/time in an open wheeler & the scene will be a bit darker..

nb. I like HDR but would prefer it not quite so high up the brightness scale, I think in build 107 the overall picture has got more contrast & tonal-depth than it used to..

11. BlaringFiddle5

It sounds like, from what people are saying here, that I might have a brightness setting problem on my monitor. I suppose that is definitely possible. I'll try setting it up contrast/brightness and see if maybe I've just got those settings borked.

12. BlaringFiddle5

13. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Check your Nvidia Driver settings. Do you have "negative LOD-Bias" on clamp? It should be allowed.

14. BlaringFiddle5

I will check these Nvidia settings, as well as check brightness/contrast setting of monitor tonight and report back (hopefully with problem solved!) :)

15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Setting up your monitor is going the be the single most important thing you can do to make the graphics look nice, but will only effect what you see not what others will when taking screen shots.

I would highly suggest looking for a tool to properly setup the monitor that would include color adjustment, not just brightness/contrast.

16. BlaringFiddle5

I checked nVidia control panel. There was no profile for rfactor2.exe - so I added it. "negative LOD-Bias" was on clamp - i set it to allowed. I also toyed with letting application control most things and having things forced by nVidia driver. The best look was from having a mix of things forced by nVidia / controlled by application. I haven't quite finished all the testing yet (had to qualify for iRacing series for the week :) ). Once I am completely happy - i'll post what my settings are as well so that maybe it helps someone else.

Here are screenshots from current settings - MUCH better!

in garage
    http://users.network1.net/~dankney/in%20garage.png

on track
    http://users.network1.net/~dankney/track%20sunny.png

17. tjc

tjc Registered

Looking better indeed... glad you got it more to your liking.

:)

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Post which driver version you are using in future as basic info.
    I know you have a SSD ? but not what version driver you use. lol

Only a few have rF2 profile.

NVInspector you should always use WHQL drivers with Inspector

http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-Inspector-1.9.6.6-download-2612.html

Don't PLAY with the profile it will improve nothing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
  19. BlaringFiddle5

20. BlaringFiddle5

i give up - I have been unable to get this game to look as good as the screenshots. But its OK - its good enough for racing and such :)