unable to install server mod - please help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MB99, Feb 7, 2021.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

2. paco_vercetti

paco_vercetti Registered

Like i wrote i am already running a dedicated server without any problems so that's not a problem. I am just curious why i had a different server setup and why i can't find any folder which is called "rfactor2-dedicated". My multiplayer.json file is located in my game directory and when i edit this .json file (for example test day=true) my dedicated server is running a test day (30h cycle). Maybe i missed a step in the exact server setup but if it ain't broke....i'm not gonna try to fix it ;)

rF2 setup json.jpg

3. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Do you run your server from a desktop shortcut? If so right click on it and select properties and check the where it is pointing to. I suspect you’re running the server from your game install, and not from steamCMD. Can you also screenshot or post the command you run to update the server.

redapg likes this.
  4. redapg

redapg Registered

@paco_vercetti From what you have posted now, i agree with what @Goanna has written already.
    You seem to use the in rFactor 2 integrated dedicated Server, not the Steamcommand dedicated.
    I suppose you did download the steamcmd Package, but never did install the Steam dedicated Server from it.
    But because you have written this:
    you was leading us on a wrong Way. ;)

Goanna likes this.
  5. paco_vercetti

paco_vercetti Registered

Is this a problem or can you explain the difference? As far as i know the server is running properly (or not :D..) and i have full controll over it. When i edit something in my multiplayer.json file (test day is an example) it's working and when im in a session on my server i can login as an admin and for example add weight to a driver. When running, the server is joinable by other people.

I have a desktop shortcut but i am not using it for running the server. When i want to setup the server i start up rFactor 2 and when in the sim i use Ctrl Esc to start rFactor 2 Dedicated from my taskbar. The rF2 dedicated window appears over rF2 so i can controll it to set up the session. When the uptime starts i go back in the sim and the server is online and appears in multiplayer. For further controll it's Ctrl Escape again to bring up the server window.

For updating the server i run the steamcmd.exe located in the folder i created when setting up the server. But in there or in my rFactor 2 directory there is no folder named "rfactor2-dedicated".
    Like i wrote i am just curious of this and for now i have no real intentions of changing something which i think is not broken (or you convince me otherwise :D).

rF2 setup ds.jpg rF2 setup ds cmd.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@paco_vercetti just running the steamcmd.exe isn't the same as installing and running a steamCMD dedi server. There is a video and guide linked above for doing that.

You aren't using a SteamCMD server. That's fine if it's working good enough for you, but that's why you don't have the folder mentioned.

7. redapg

redapg Registered

No, it is no Problem, you can also use the into rFactor 2 integrated dedicated Server.
    But as i have written already, you did say that you have installed and use the steamcmd dedicated-server, but can not find the JSON Files for it.
    And because that is, for what you did ask for help, you of course could not find it, if you haven't installed it.

8. paco_vercetti

paco_vercetti Registered

Ok thanks for the clarification. When setting up a new server (on a newly to buy computer) i will try to to follow the exact steps for installation. The steps i have missed apparently are downloading and installing the individual workshop items via the command prompt.
    Although it's still not clear to me if i am missing functionality the way my server is setup, for my use it is doing it's job so i leave it as it is.

9. redapg

redapg Registered

The Advantage, with using the in rFactor 2 integrated Server, that you use now, is, that you don't have to install anything into a second Installation (the Steam dedicated Server) again.
    So if it works for you, keep using it, yes. :)