Unable to control cars properly

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tom Endres, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Privatebrian I've raced with you before and it was fine or so i thought. This is a recent thing? Are you using fanatec pedals?

2. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

No Guy,i'm using the standard momo pedals :),it feels fantastic after coming from a xbox360 con lol.

3. osella

osella Registered

Using 260 rotation on 60s cars won't make you faster, just more twitchy.
    All the people who use such tiny rotation need to learn to use less steering and more throttle ;)

It takes some time getting used to, but once you do, its usually the easiest to drive all cars with the same settings as in real life. If 260 rotation would make drivers faster, they would use it in real life as well, no?

4. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Uhm, I'm not sure what "twitchy" means since there's no swedish translation for that and google can't tell me either... but yeah, my driving style is far from "twitchy", and I use 250 degrees rotation. I do a lot of sliding and use much trottle. I can't see the problem. Using 576 degrees steering won't make me faster, either.

Tried 576 degrees on Brianza, and it works quite good, but sometimes when sliding quite wide I lost control, with the steering wheel on max rotation to the left and the car just continued to the right. This don't happen very often when I use 250 degrees rotation. Maybe because I can faster reach maximum rotation to correct the slide :)

5. tjc

tjc Registered

Mmm... Twitchy means...

Very quick to react, maybe too quick?

A lot (or too much possibly) reaction to very little input. (Hence you don`t have to cross your arms going round Monaco hairpin and I do (or take one hand off the wheel)

:)

6. osella

osella Registered

Yes it means too quick steering angle of wheels from little input..
    but what do I care, let anyone drive as they like.. I like higher rotations.

7. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Ok. I tried Mid Ohio with full rotation and my favourite setup and I had to cross my arms i every single corner, but then I increased steering lock from 14 to 27 and it was an amazing feeling in the car :) Every single oversteer was controllable.

When I'm driving with 250 degrees rotation and decrease steering lock to 14 it's fairly the same feeling (for me). But now I'm curious, what steering lock do u guys use on different tracks?

8. FONismo

FONismo Registered

What was that you were using? 27 seems a little too much tbh. Gonna presume you mean the Brabham, i would say that is a little high for me personally but as Osella has just said each to their own but good to see you experimenting.

I think when you first move to the higher rotation is does feel different but from personal experience i say stick with it and you will get your rewards from it. 27 is something i would use for going on the full 900 degrees but hey if it feels good like that, stick with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
  9. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

If a driver can controller it and drive smothely the smaller the rotation the better as it means a driver has to turn the wheel less to react to any given situation.

> More degrees of rotation = smoother driving less likely to acidently flick the car into a skid , less likely to over steer. But slower to recover due to the driver or the FFB wheel having to rotate more to corect or counter steer.

> Lower degree of rotation = harsh less smooth more twitchy drive but if you can drive the racing line smooth with a lower rotation then you have the advantage of more easily being able to recover a big slip , or slight slip and requires less turning effort when doing tight corners.

Its like mouse sensitivity for FPS games If the sensitivity is low you have better control over moving the mouse small distances , but it takes longer to move it across the screen.

High mouse sensitivity and its fast to spin around and move across the screen but hard to stop prceicely on a given target.

In the end its all about having your controls

1) linear ( as that's easer to learn and memorise and correct)
    2) comfortable for you

From a logical stand point the best wheel setting will be one that allows you to move the wheel quickly but with enough precision to flow with racing lines.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
  10. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Yes I know, 27 was a bit high. I just wanted the highest possible to feel the difference. I think something between 20-25 would be enough but I have not tried it yet. Yes probably I'll stick with it.

I don't know if it makes any sense, but somehow my settings 250 degrees, less steering sensitivity and only steering lock 14 feel similar to the new one (full rotation, 100% steering sensitivity and high steering lock). I mean the maximum steering angle I use is similar with both wheel settings.

And excuse my english, it's not very good :rolleyes: don't know wich words to use to describe it the best way.

11. FONismo

FONismo Registered

No, no problems, i can totally understand what you are saying, your english is fine. :) Just keep playing with the steering lock and find something you are comfortable with, personally i like precision without the twitchy feel if that makes sense and with rotation i have always liked to use what the real car would use. Started years back using 900 degrees with rF1 and HistorX and so am accustomed to using higher rotations. Anything lower that 540 degrees for me usually feels odd

With rF2, just allowing the sim to adjust it makes things far better for me personally. NetKar and iRacing are the same, and it's the right way IMO.

12. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I always try to get as close as possible to 15:1 steering ratio. I know it's not "correct" for all cars, but it's the ratio I'm most comfortable with.

So take the FISI for example: The game puts it at 576 rotation.

576 / 2 = 288 / 15 = 19.2 steering lock in the garage for a 15:1 steering ratio.

You can use the same formula for any degree of rotation.

Divide the rotation by two, then divide by x (the steering ratio you want) or y (the steering lock you are currently using).

If you want 12:1 steering for 576 rotation: 576 / 2 = 288 / 12 = 24 steering lock in the garage for a 12:1 steering ratio.

You can also do the reverse to find out your current ratio:

Hedlund_90 was using 27 steering lock on 576 rotation. 576 /2 = 288 / 27 = 10.6:1 steering ratio.

13. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

First, rf2 isn't finished, and starting with b85, some of the cars began to behave in a very respectable manner, and hopefully the FISI and GTR get some more treatment....I disagree that the 370 is hard to drive, it's just slow, but the GTR sux on the rear IMO, and I've done over a 100laps with it.

Is rf2 harder to drive than Simbin/GSC, sure is, but the FFB's better in some of the cars and you can feed off that.

I use a G27 and flip between 450-900 in logitech, and allow game to adjust steering lock.

These are the best cars in the game IMO, in this order or thereabouts.

F2/3
    F3.5
    Megane
    BT20

We then run into some problems with these cars....

FISI
    GTR
    F1 Classic

I know some may disagree, and that's cool, but there's also the fact that rf2 seems acutely sensitive to set up, and obviously track conditions are a big factor.

There's also the 88 Senna mod which is friggin epic if you ask me, maybe a touch too ferocious in 1st and 2nd, but nothing a bit of practice and discipline can't fix.

14. tjc

tjc Registered

Nice little bit of maths there budd :cool:

I`ll take a note of this formula incase needed at any time although at present I`m happy at 900 degrees and letting rf2 sort it out. :)

15. tjc

tjc Registered

Best cars in game?

BT20
    BT20
    BT20
    Eve`s
    Sparks
    Meganes
    GTR`s

Oh and did I mention the BT20?

Awesome car... :D

:cool:

;)

16. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

rF2 doesn't sort out the steering lock or the ratio automatically, just the steering rotation. You still need to set the steering lock yourself in the garage based on what rotation the game sets.

Some people want the exact rotation and ratio for each car as they are in RL for immersion. The game only sets the rotation automatically, not the correct steering lock.

The formula lets you know what the steering ratio is for each steering lock setting so you can adjust for realism if desired :)

17. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I really do think that it'd be best if the game only had one real setting for that: Steering ratio. No need to adjust wheel rotation and steering lock separately. The mod has a maximum steering lock defined anyway, just give us a direct steering ratio control that automatically sets the wheel degrees correctly according to the ratio and maximum steering lock. If the steering ratio is so fast it'll reach maximum steering lock in under 900 degrees (or whatever your wheel can manage), then it limits the rotation of your wheel. If the steering ratio is so slow that 900 degrees doesn't reach the maximum steering lock, then it limits that. One control instead of two separate controls, one that directly affects how fast or slow your steering response is.

1 person likes this.
  18. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

+1

19. Digi Lauda

Digi Lauda Registered

Sure?

20. Tom Endres

Tom Endres Registered

Pretty sure, yes.

I couldn't test it yesterday but I'll give it a go today and post the results, promised. Thanks for all the feedback so far. :)