To "build" for DRS or not?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by ethone, Jun 10, 2012.

1. ethone

ethone Registered

Now that DRS is an active mechanic on at least one car, should we build our tracks for DRS-enabled cars or not?
    Fuji is my current concern - it is a F1-grade track that also holds notable non-F1 races (Super GT, WEC later this year). Do I include the detection/activation lines and moreover, those styrofoam boards anouncing their significance.

Running the Nissan GT-R and passing those boards each lap with no significance to that car at all strikes me as weird, as if I took a wrong turn along the way and arrived at the wrong track.
    So currently I tend to keep the lines and get rid of the boards for a compromise.

Opinions?

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Well if its not too much effort to put the Zones/markings in then I dont see why not, if it takes time and can be a hassle then maybe just the F1 grade tracks may need them. Even if you're racing in a different series those boards wont matter, personally I'd just appreciate that I'm driving a tin top on an F1 grade track.

I can only presume that some/smaller tracks may not have big enough zones for them anyway, I dont know much about the regulations of minimal length if such rules exist.

3. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Why not just do a second layout with the DRS zones? Give people the option...and it's not really any more work than if you were to just put them in, anyway.

4. ethone

ethone Registered

I just put them in currently anyway and the work to do so is minimal. It's pretty much purely a design decision, not one of "worth the effort".

I don't feel comfortable adding layouts just for DRS zones as it needlessly clutters the track selection screen. Fuji already has two layouts, adding two more just for the DRS boards feels very much like overkill. For Topeka which has four racing configurations (plus the dragstrip) adding a DRS-enabled version for each layout would be just too many layouts.
    In an ideal world I wish we had a VisGroup or other trigger to load the DRS-related objects only if DRS-enabled cars are taking part in the event.

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I agree with Ethone - there should be some mechanism allowing showing DRS boards only if in-use.