Tips & Tricks To Get Good FPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Mar 27, 2012.

1. taufikp

taufikp Registered

If you have good tips/tricks to bring the performance up, please post it here :)

This is my trick:
    - open PLR file (create backup first if necessary)
    - find "Rearview_Back_Clip"
    - change its value. I'm using 30. You can reduce it more if you like, but don't use 0 (zero).

The trick above has been around since the day of F1 series made by ISI for EA! And it's still usable in rF2 today. :D

In human language: its purpose is to limit visible objects in rear view mirror. Low value means only objects close to your position will be visible in rear view mirror. Don't put too low values or you might not be able to see cars behind you. And don't use 0! If you use 0, rF2 will use the value defined in the scene file (usually 100-150 if I remember this correctly). Maybe the unit for Rearview_Back_Clip value is "meter". In my case above, I want to view objects within 30m radius only.

Another tip similar to this is, turning off mirror completely. :D

The result is not bad. In my system, I got ~3 FPS more using back clipping, and ~7 FPS more by turning off mirrors completely. Your mileage may vary.

So, again, if you have any good tips/tricks to up the FPS, please post it. Don't keep it to yourself. :)

2. fideco

fideco Registered

I read your posts, always useful as this one.
    I admire your persistence in seeking solutions to gain a few fps (i own a ATI 6970).

But believe me, the real problem , unfortunately not solved until now, are the shadows.
    A real fps killer....

The current graphics engine does not handle them well.

I expect more from a software house, technically speaking.
    Now, i'm forced to use the low shadow detail and the cars seem to be suspended in the air.
    I'm very disappointed
    Anyway, thanks for your tip.
    Cheers
    Giorgio

3. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

With iR i have costantly 77-85FPS(i3 CPU-ATI radeon 5650HD :( ),with rF2 I have only 47-57FPS and I have to admit that the graphic of iR is much better than rF2-Beta!So ISI,please,work hard:)

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Honestly I think us AMD guys are screwed at getting good performance/quality balance at this point in the beta. I've turned everything on and tried SSAA and it looks great. I can't drive at 35FPS though. Gives me a headache.

We're just going to have to wait and see. Still plenty of word to be done on rF2.

It does piss me off a bit to see these nvidea cards getting better performance but what are you going to do?

5. taufikp

taufikp Registered

@CDNRacer lol you should not play rF2 in my system then, you'll get severe headache as the FPS sometimes dip below 30! :D

Now, back to another tips & tricks.

Note: this next tips & tricks may or may not work in your system. But you may as well try it, you won't lose anything :)

- open your rF2 launcher
    - run the Configuration
    - change your AA level to None
    - turn on FXAA
    - you may or may not turn on HDR

In my system, I get good anti-aliasing using this way. Similar to rF2's traditional AA Level 1. I also got the FPS to rise quite high this time ~10 FPS (with HDR off though). The downside of this trick is the annoying shimmer effect on fences is back. A bit worse than using rF2 traditional AA.

edit:
    Click here for the picture of this trick

About shadow, yes, shadow's been the problem of gMotor since F1 days. Perhaps goes as far as SCGT days too? I don't know since I don't have SCGT. Too bad it still doesn't get a fix, or maybe it is impossible to fix it without rewriting the gMotor code completely?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
  6. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I've ran about every flight sim since the late 80's. Every sim that had decent graphics have always seemed to favor one graphics card or another. Nvidia and ATI coding is apparently different enough to cause problems. (point is --> I think it has always been that way)

7. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

shadows are heavy but sometimes it happens that with fresh settings and high shadows i get better fps than off and some other stuff. very strange

8. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

I seem to be a lucky one, I can run RF2 on pretty high settings with my AMD system, and get plenty playable FPS. I have most things maxed in game except shadows on medium, shadow blur is ON, no road or environment reflections. I am using level 6 AA in the configure sim config, also FXAA and HDR are on, Sun occulsion is off, Movies are off, Wind and crowd motion is off, and visible vehicles set at 8.

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

lol. :D I just turn a few things down, MSAA and cap it at 95fps. I'm jealous of the guys who get to SSAA though. :p

10. fideco

fideco Registered

11. glenner

glenner Registered

i run an ati 4890..955 quad black edition 3.2 oc to 3.5 8gig 1600 ram.i can run rf2 smoothly and it looks great...with 19 ai 1st lap is a bit juddery..my res is 1280 x 768 on 50 inch lcd.hdr on.fxaa on.sync on video{not sure what sync is or weather to run it on software,gpu or video so if any one knows pls let me know about sync}..aa is level 3 and i run it windowed but still get full screen???..i have everything on max apart from shadows medium,no sun oclusion aax16 and cicuit detail on low..ive tried so many different settings and my tip is to tick windowed and put circuit detail on low becuase all you lose is the croud,a few trees here and there you lose distance markers on the corners but i use the curbs as my braking points,you lose lamp posts and other minor structurs and gain loads of fps while still having great graphics running smooth...who cares about the croud and lamp posts when your driving at 150 mph..hope this helps..

12. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Another trick that I just found is

TURNING OFF WINDOWS DEFENDER! :mad:

This annoying "anti virus" by Microsoft suddenly running in the background while I'm in rFactor. It consumes ~25% of CPU process and creates micro stutter in rFactor. I already have an anti virus installed so I don't want another anti virus running.

13. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Glenner, "windowed" is still the full screen, but it is running "in a window".

The main difference is that it is running in its own process and you can alt-tab out of easier. For some, alt-tabbing without "windowed" mode is impossible. Most machines will also give a few more fps.