Tiger Moth Test Track - the Spec Miata challenge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hexagramme, Oct 12, 2014.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Your time stays on top then. :)

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Come on people!!!

List your times even if they're not the fastest. We can get a nice list of times going.

So far we got (2nd and on):

hexagramme - 1:28:215
    nascar2112 - 1:28.3
    matf1 - 1:28.324
    PlickBadger 1:28.324
    Justy - 1:28.462
    TypicalAnalytical 1:35.181

5 guys within 2.5 tenths!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
  3. matf1

matf1 Registered

We could compile a nations cup if we get a bunch more involved.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Oh that is awesome, great to see a list of times like that. I'll make sure to put that in the first post and keep it updated. :)

But yeah, any time is valid in this challenge. Just post it guys, you don't need to make a video of it or even a picture. :)

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I just did a 1:27.422

Where is everybody?!

6. Justy

Justy Registered

I'll be giving it another go soon, I just haven't had time, to find any more.... time. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Good... Lord...
    How did you manage to find that much time, man..??
    Well done indeed. Whew, that'll be a challenge to beat. :)

Updated the 1st post with the current leaderboard. Oh yeah.

8. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Hello everybody!
    1:27.541, here (until now) have to eat something, then i'll give it another try...

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Man, considering we only get 1 lap (then have to restart) this is quite a challenge :) Nice time Ozzy! Hexa, you can do it man, I know you can!

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Haha, thanks. I wouldn't be so sure.
    But let's see come the weekend when I'm hopefully not as comatose as I feel now. ;)

11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Sorry for bringing up dead thread, but didn't want to open new one, and the mod thread is closed.

I was wondering if anyone else thinks that there is something not right with steering geometry, or at least with SAT output. Also slip right over the optimum slip, is just pure cliff, I find it strange how sudden the grip falls. I mean I suppose it should be fast, but not that fast to catch on full slide, maybe kinetic friction is too low. Those two issues makes me this mod unenjoyable, even though overall it seems to be really good.

P.s. here the guy made a video, he drove real thing and then in rF2, but in terms of observations this is low value:

12. Hazi

Hazi Registered

These cars got not updated to latest tyre and other physics updates - afaik ....

13. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

As Hazi said, It is a very old mod that didn't get the latest updates in the evolving rF2 engine.

14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I never had when it was the time, so I can't compare. Could you guys try it if you remember how it was, and say that it has really changed. I mean I only find SAT strange and the grip dropoff, or perhaps slidign friction is very low, IDK what it is, but the thing skates a lot.

I think I could probably fix those things approximately, but it could possibly intended to be so, and in that case there would be nothing to get fixed.

I think thats awesome mod.

I also really like Lola T280 mod, it is also old mod, I thin kit doesn't have recent update, or has it ? It is superb to me.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@mantasisg I think you might have misunderstood. It's unlikely to have changed from how it was; the underlying physics of the game hasn't changed, only newer or updated content contains new parameters which will improve handling in certain situations and perhaps overall. The car you're driving should have behaved exactly the same in 2014 as now.

16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I'm surprised that there are no discussions about those things then.

Speaking of mods, I feel like overdone slip, wrong SAT and too strong FFB are most common issues, and yet I don't see them pointed out anywhere, perhaps just when FFB is too heavy someone calls on it.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@mantasisg Perhaps because those things are, at least to some extent, subjective. And criticising someone for something that isn't obviously (ie with supporting evidence) wrong, after they've put in tens or even hundreds of hours to make a mod, doesn't usually end too well.

In some situations (FWD comes to mind), perhaps the game itself and the way it does certain things means there's only so much a modder can do.

18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Well not criticising, but holding interest. With Miata mod especially, it is a quality mod in my book, but I can not enjoy it, nevermind the slip, but the way FFB goes inverted is strange to me, and it doesn't help. I actually want to understand it.

Now I have read the Spec Miata thead that modder actually had it in real life, and used it properly. It definitely makes doubts weaker, but I am still mainly interested in understanding the mechanics.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I just did some laps at LRP with it, and I didn't get any FFB reversing. I might not be going fast enough though.

20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I have to appologize I probably have had downloaded some tweaked version or something, or something bizzare happened with instalation (probably not)... I had it from internationalsimracing forum before, I suppose it could have had ruined physics, maybe someone wanted to enhance understeer torque drop, or do something like that and threw away caster, or I don't know... it was wrong... regarding that in that forum there are quite a bit of mods which are more than worth of investigating it could be so....

So it is all good now.... I just noticed that there is a link to the mod in this thread OP, I installed from it and the car is AMAZING. Totally straight into hall of fame. It is perfect. Just drove in drying LRP for 30mins practice, and I have zero concern about it, it is perfect. I did 1'02'4 so far, AI did just under a minute. It is superb. Super fun on wet, gets quite challenging on the dry as grip jumps up. I am actually amazing, I felt so much depth.

I really wish that it would get updated someday. I wonder if it could be arranged. And I mean actully legit update and with steam workshop.

I wonder how many people downloaded modified mod and never experienced the original mod. It is epic !