Tiger Moth Test Track - the Spec Miata challenge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hexagramme, Oct 12, 2014.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Okay - so would it be fair to allow people to change the steering lock (in the garage), to account for people racing all kinds of different wheels?
    What do you think of that?

Other than that, no other changes are to be made to the base setup of the car in this challenge.
    That's kinda the challenge. :)

It'll get messy pretty quickly if some people post times with custom setups and others with default setup.

It's not a matter of liking or disliking the default setup.
    It's a matter of adapting to the high fuel load and default settings and just getting the best out of it.
    Keeps it nice and simple too, which will hopefully increase the participation.

2. TypicalAnalytical

TypicalAnalytical Banned

Bravo, hex. Good call

3. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

plickb
    sorry im using 756 but with 26 lock(not 900 with 29).thx for info im gona try with 21..yea im on g25

hex
    like plickb says Everyone uses a slightly different setup..
    yes i can adopt to this rules hex but thats not a chalenge for me with a car wich have so many options to twaek.
    why not using honda then?i know is faster then car top gear use,but you have nothing to twaek,only tire pressure.
    and btw i posted my lap time just because there was not times on your challenge from people here and i jumped in miata first time for few laps(GRAET CAR PLICKB btw),i lie second time.first was just 10 min when i downloaded it.
    nevermind i hope your challenge starts to roll and people have good lap times :) and fun
    at the end its your challenge if i want different rules i will make one ;)
    cheers

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

The original idea was to have a challenge with a "reasonably priced car". The Miata is reasonable... -ish.
    Plus I really think it deserves exposure, the more the better. Everyone needs to be driving this car. :)

In regards to participation I hope more people will join the fun when they don't have to spend hours in advance tinkering with setups.
    No doubt, I prefer to customize my setups as much as the next guy (we're all racers here, right?;)) but this time I thought something more simple could be fun as well.

Be assured that if a "Tiger Moth TT: the NSX challenge (with custom setup)" comes along I'll join in that very quickly. ;)
    Thanks for being cool about it though.

Should I interpret this as allowing for steering lock changes is a good idea?

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I don't see how one could say a fixed setup isn't a challenge. If anything it is more of a challenge and everyone is given the same tools. Plus the idea of this project was to emulate the show. You don't see Cameron Diaz demanding that Top Gear change the toe and spring rates to match her style do you? Hahaha.

Edit: Would it be better to just host a server for this challenge? That way you could enforce a fixed setup (with the exception of brake pressure and steering lock) and driving conditions.

6. TypicalAnalytical

TypicalAnalytical Banned

Lol and +1 to all of bello and, hex, the 'bravo' was regarding sticking with same setup requirement

7. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

noel i see you always have something to say,i know what was idea of this.thats why i wrote i drove miata twaked..why you dont put some lap times?and cameron can change (with the exception of brake pressure and steering lock) and driving conditions
    first we dont have same tools ex software every thing is different even if some one tweaked ini(json)files,hardware..
    second how its not challenging for me?because i know this is not factory setup and i know plickb or someone made this setup to fit their needs.or they just made to be drivable and put some options to "0" so they can be adjusted to fit someone needs..
    third i love strict rules and same car for everyone to be driven,but that car need to be like that made.have nothing to change in garage..

i would love to see what plickb have to say about miata default setup.is it made to fit your stile or is it made to be drivable for public use?im confused about diff,camber,toe settings in default setup,can you explain why that setting?for degrees of wheel i understand and its ok like that.

guys please i was talking with hex and i understand this challenge and im ok with it!if you dont have something better to ask or say so dont please.im not here to change anything or start pointles talk so i dont need cameron stuff

thx

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

When I say we all have the same tools I was referring to the fact that we are all driving the same car on the same setup, same track and same conditions. So the challenge should be the same for everyone. If the default set favors one person over another then good for them. Thats just how specs are. The Top Gear Reasonably Priced car may suit some drivers more than others too. You came in here and said "Hi all!" and said you didn't like the rules and posted a time with a modified setup (coast). I don't know, it kind of came off rude to me. Probably a language barrier.

BTW, I will try to put in some laps this weekend. Sounds like a fun project.

9. Justy

Justy Registered

Personally I think we should stick with the fixed setup, to keep this simple and most importantly, fair. As Noel, quite rightly points out, this is the whole point of the challenge. It's about adapting to the car and track, on a level playing field, not changing stuff because you don't like it.

I understand that some people might have steering wheels with very low rotation, but I would imagine that these days, those wheels are pretty few and far between. If you have a wheel with 900+ degrees rotation, then there really is no excuse for changing stuff in my opinion.

Cheers

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I have read all your posts and I've decided that we're sticking with the "no setup changes" rule. :)
    No touching anything in the garage, kids. ;)

I can see that many of you understand what I had in mind here, exactly that it's a totally level playing field.
    I know some will think that it's perhaps a bit too "light" and "casual" and would like to dive deeper into setup and stuff.
    Well, perhaps another time.

This is just a kindergarten playground. ;)
    Nice simple stuff, with no need to spend hours upon hours to gain a tenth or two through setup work.
    Just get on track, do a warm up lap, and then make your hot lap count.
    Then you can still about your lap here, while still having time to walk your dog, eat dinner with your wife etc. ;)

I think and hope that most will be able to fit that into their schedules.
    I know I will try and take a crack at this a few times a week, to see if I can't get into the 1:27's. :)

So... Does anyone want to make my 1:28:215 look bad? :p

11. matf1

matf1 Registered

I seem to get bad horizon FPS once YT has rendered. Are you guys uploading raw shadowplay mp4s or is there some post processing going on?

12. Justy

Justy Registered

Well, my videos aren't the best quality either, but for what it's worth, I used fraps and converted the file to mp4 afterwards using some free software called format factory.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Very nice lap, matf1. :)

As to video quality mine suck very badly for some reason.
    I capture with Shadowplay and convert in Sony Vegas.
    The end result isn't good. I need to tweek it a bit more I think.

14. matf1

matf1 Registered

Same here. Looks perfect at 1080p@60fps on the PC, but YouTube can't handle it. Might look into animation and blue settings.

Erm .. Eh yeah, the lap. Thanks but now I have to try again. People are fast round these parts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

15. Jiisuki

Jiisuki Registered

Well, you beat my best time yet on your warmup ;)

16. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

very nice lap matf1!

I didn't get a chance to try last night, but I swear I'm going to find time to do this today.

17. TypicalAnalytical

TypicalAnalytical Banned

1:42.207

Spun twice on timed lap which is to be expected in a car like this and is why TV show uses FWD car and also allows more practice laps before timed lap.

Edit - Wait a minute I get more than one chance? :confused:

Attempt #2 = 1:35.181

Edit #2:

Lada attempt #1 your rules = 1:37.293

Lada attempt #2 TV show rules (standing start on second lap and three practice laps from first attempt and warm-up lap) = 1:41.765

All times using clutch + h-shifter like in TV show.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2014
  18. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

You get as many tries as you like man. :)

19. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

1:29.834 on my first try. I'll put in some more laps tomorrow. This is fun!

20. Justy

Justy Registered

New time for me... 1:28.462. Screwed up the Hammerhead and the last two turns. Think I can make the 1:27's with some more practise. Yay me!

View attachment 14578