The use of the clutch and double-[de]clutching in historic racecars discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

it's relatively easy to shift without clutch, up or down, just use a lift or blip. Blip to unload dogs on downshift and next gear just slips in, engine rpm rises enough to make smooth shift. Even on an old H pattern box like formula ford this is simple, durable and even as fast as a sequential box. Should really only need to use clutch if a gear is missed. I think use of clutch really comes down to driver preference (how old school they are) or if using a production car based synchromesh box for durability (though these can be shifted without clutch almost problem free also). Most important part is that engine rpm is not drastically different than where it will be after the shift, both for smoothness and engine durability. A lift is important for upshift to both make the shift happen and to protect the dogs. In any case the engine speed is the most important item for a race car, can't see the relevance of double clutch so that input shaft is at the right speed, it has so little inertia whats the point.

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I sure as hell wouldn't do clutchless shifts on a production synchromesh box. Have you ever had one apart to see how delicate the leading edge of the gears are? You will destroy them in no time trying to be boy racer. Once the leading edge of the gears are mushroomed the hubs will not engage and disengage anymore. Sure you can do clutchless shifts here and there to show off for friends. But I wouldn't make a habit out of it. You may think you have the revs matched and that is why it will go into gear but actually your syncros are still doing most of the work. Once the syncros are gone you will not look as skilled anymore. And the input and output shaft do have a significant amount of inertia to them.

This is why we have dog boxes.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2013
  3. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I eish rF2 had that as an option that could be enabled server side. Right below AutoClutch, Manual Clutch there would be a third option Real CLutch which enables the grinding tranny.

5. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Thanks to OP I ended up buying Lauda's, Pietro Taruffi's and Ross Bentley's books :) Super interesting stuff!

6. elbo

elbo Registered