"Sync" option in Video Setup?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jorgen, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can someone explain the difference between the available values in the rF2 Video Setup utility?

- Software
    - GPU
    - Video

Thanks in advance!

2. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Not sure exactly what each mode refers to as I havent seen such options for v-sync before. But through trying all modes I found the "video" option gives me best results. I assume this is syncing to monitor rate as its the only one of the 3 that does this properly as in traditional v-sync.

I use Nvidia gtx480 sli which was gettin micro stuttering in everything I tried except settin sync to "video" and "controlled by app" in nvidia driver panel, then also forcing max frame rate in plr file to my monitors refresh rate 60.00 and its silky smooth in that setup for me at least.

I tried everything else in nvidia drivers, ingame settings and the plr file and this is the only way I could get a true 60p v-sync with no stutter or tearing.

3. osella

osella Registered

There's an month or two old thread somewhere right on this forum that explains vsync modes in detail, can't find it now (after 20sec search)

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

5. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Some months ago I wrote opinions about different vsync settings:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ossibly-prevents-stuttering-caused-by-100-CPU

Nowadays I use vsync software:

6. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Does anyone have advice regarding ati setup? I have 5900 series and what I'm looking for is how to set various options, I.e. there are options in catalyst, in launcher and in game and I'm not sure which to use in each. For example, there is Fxaa but also level1-3 etc. that seems to be redundant, etc, etc. any guidance at all would be appreciated so I can give performance feedback that is meaningful. Thanks.

7. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Video = Vsync as far as i know, not sure about the other options.

8. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1396-Downloads

9. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Thanks folks! I never thought of using google, but since the vBulletin default search is, to put it mildly, a very blunt tool, it's probably the way to go. :)

Ok, so "Video" is the same as forcing vSync in the video drivers, only that it's done from inside the game, and thus it requires the video drivers to be set to "Use the 3D application setting". (nVidia) "None" is the opposite of "Video" then I guess. I'm going to play with "Software" and "GPU" and see what they yield in terms of performance vs. looks.

There seems to be a couple of player file options related to this too;

Code:
    Render Once Per VSync="0" // Attempts to render once per vsync; 1 = use timer, no wait; 2 = use vblank, no wait; 3 = use vblank, wait
    Max Framerate="0.00000" // 0 to disable (note: positive numbers only, we always use the 'alternate' method now)
    Steady Framerate Thresh="0.00100" // Allowed threshold in seconds to try to 'catch up' when falling behind using Max Framerate (use 0 for original behavior).  This helps steady the framerate but may introduce more latency.
    Flush Previous Frame="0" // Make sure command queue from previous frame is finished (may help prevent stuttering)
    Synchronize Frame="1.00000" // Extrapolate graphics using estimated render time in attempt to more accurately synchronize physics with graphics, 0.0 (off) - 1.0 (full)
    Delay Video Swap="0" // Whether to delay video swap if card is busy - this should only be used if framerate clearly improves - otherwise it is only delaying response time
    Lots of tweaking to try here, apparently. :)

10. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

I prefer GPU Sync, because there is no steering lag between real and virtual controller

11. osella

osella Registered

I can only confirm that "video vsync" was the only setting that helped me at all, the rest doesn't get rid of tearing.

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I use GPU sync.

Found it smoother from day one.

May depend on your CPU - GPU performance what works best for you.

13. tjc

tjc Registered

Yip GPU sync here too. :)

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

They are explained in the downloads thread, in the build notes in which they were introduced, but also in the getting started thread:http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/5304 under the question: Q. What is the graphics 'sync' option?

I use GPU sync, as do a lot of others it seems.

15. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Thanks again. I've found that using Google and prepending the search words with "site:isiforums.net" is what made my day, now it's finally possible to find relevant threads here! :)

Now, off to do some vsync experimenting!

16. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

I must say that GPU was definitely the best option for me. It gives a slightly lower FPS than the other options, but it's hardly noticeable. The best thing however, is that it yields virtually no input lag at all. The graphical steering wheel movements *exactly* match the physical steering wheel movement, and I really feel connected this way. Tares are there sometimes, but a lot less visible compared to the software setting. Real vSync gives no tares at all, but on the other hand causes micro-stuttering as soon as the FPS drops below 60, and gives the most input lag for me, even with "Pre-rendered frames" set to 1 in the video drivers.

EDIT: Oh, and if you do not use true vSync, don't forget to disable triple buffering in the video driver settings, as it's only meant to be used with vSync enabled. See this article for a good explanation of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
  17. osella

osella Registered

So it seems its great to have more options for vsync, I for one have no issues for decent input lag, never had problems reacting to it in any sim, on the other hand graphiccal tearing is unbearable for me.

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I perminantly run in nvidia 3d surround, not sure what type of sync it uses,

Running at settings that's well within rf2's fps limits eliminates any noticeable lag for me

19. joker68

joker68 Registered

I'm running video, plus Lucid MVP on my new z77 board.
    I was using GPU before, but it gave poor results with this combo.

*Lucid MVP is a software that combine the use of two GPUs (iGPU and the discrete card) to do some "load balancing" magic, basically turning the whole experience into a more smooth one. The best feature is that I'm able to experience vSync without being tied to the 60/30 fps slowdowns (i.e., of course my monitor still displays only 60fps, but the game processing - i.e., wheel responses, feeling, etc - is way above it). In fact, using an fps monitor, I can see peaks of 120+, using an HD6870 on a 3570K rig with everything maxxed out in game. In short: drive with vsync benefits, without the penalties. Heaven for all who use TrackIR.

20. martymoose

martymoose Registered

I dont know if you really understand the benefits of V-sync, my setup can get frames easily into 120+ but it looks much smoother at a solid 60p with v-sync locked to my monitors refresh rate. As far as I know the physics engine is running at 100hz independent of what your monitor is displaying so even if you get 400fps physics is still only at 100hz and the same if you have a lower frame rate. Lower frame rate just means you see things slower at 30fps then 60fps only getting half the visual info. Anything above your refresh rate your not seeing so if your monitor cant do 200fps there is no advantage of such high frame rates.

However there can be cases where you get input lag if there is a lag caused by rendering being delayed so the actual physics will be running ahead of the graphics. They are still at 100hz but any delay between the computer sending the graphics data to your screen and when its actually displayed will make the graphics and physics out of sync. This is what is called input lag and its best avoided in any sim.

The fact that no matter what your frame rate is above your monitor refresh rate makes those frames basically wasted energy, also if you have a fluctuation from 240 to 90fps sometimes this is noticed on screen yet if using v-sync it will stay at a steady 60p or whatever your monitor rate is. V-sync disabled should have minimal input lag but some monitors may have internal processing that also creates lag so this should all be disabled when gaming. V-sync for me causes those awkward slow downs whilst never dropping below my monitors refresh rate and also causes very annoying tearing which I cant stand. V-sync can sometimes cause issues with stuttering or input lag if setup wrong but if done properly will give you the smoothest experience possible.

I found V-sync to video, forced on in nvidia drivers and frame rate limited to my refresh rate gives me the best rendering with no noticeable input lag. Im am running it on a 55 inch Panasonic plasma in game mode and have disabled all the monitors processing options.