Stuttering in B590 (skipping parts of the track even)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Navigator, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

In build 590, I get stuttering and as the session goes on, it gets worse.
    I tried the ISI spark at ISI Monaco and in the beginning, it doesn't run smooth (which it was in the last XX builds)
    Then, I see a car driving on the right side, it has to go to the left side in order to make the turn. All of the sudden; he's there! Sort of like lag, but this was offline.
    It got worse; objects started doing this too and coming out of the tunnel, approaching the chicane, I got the barrier a lot closer to me in a flash. Scary as hell ;)

The old build, running next to it, runs okay. Virusscanner or things like that not running. Settings the same.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

What is your CPU usage like?

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

The usage is around 50% pretty flat all the time.
    It's a i5 3570 stock with an GTX480 1,5Gb and 8 Gb -1600Mhz ram.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I think it might be spiking above that. The jumping cars you see are a symptom of CPU issues and the sim falling out of realtime. You 100% sure it never spikes?

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I want to do justice on the matter, so I test it further this evening Tim. I let you know.

6. jakobdylan

jakobdylan Registered

I've the same problem My cpu usage is around 50% but The game has a lot of stuttering I don't understandthe reason

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I tested it for 2 hours and the best (lowest an highest) I got were these.
    I don't know if that's okay or not; it has always looked like this (when running smooth too) so I didn't really notice anything weird on the graph.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Eddy

Eddy Registered

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks Eddy,
    Sadly enough, I never had that on...... :(

10. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

The only thing I noticed is when Alt-Tabbing out of the game and then coming back, the game stutters like crazy. The ingame framerate counter still reads 120, but the game feels like 30fps. Almost unplayable. The only fix for me is to simply never Alt-Tab out of the game. If I do, I need to restart the client.

11. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

I played extensively yesterday, and the only thing I found was extreme tearing, which I percieve as stutters, mostly at Loch Drummond. But yeah, I am capping those frames at 60, so not really a surprise.

12. datanode

datanode Registered

Have you tried reducing some settings? What settings in the graphics options do you have?

A friend upgrade from a 280 to a 560ti and then saw this issue.

We changed the graphics around a bit and removed the issue.

Tim explaining the sim falling out of real time seems accurate. But it is fixable with experimentation of graphics settings.

FPS at one point in time is not reflective of how your settings cope with the various or more challenging points on the track.

If you post your settings for graphics we could probably hint at what looks good and stops the stuttering.

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I played around with that and some weird thing came up; the higher the settings, the less stuttering I got.

The resolution is 1920x1080 with 2xAA and HDR on.
    All was set to high/full (50/50 lets say) and shadows on medium. I got around 100 to 130 fps and thought that was not low enough to get it stuttering.
    Now I tested with all full, shadows a setting more and anisotropic filter at 8 instead of 4; the stuttering seems less......... The fps were around 90 to 100

Could it be, as I was close -or even got one a few weeks ago- to a "running out of memory", that the more fps the system has to give, the more it's hard on the memory to keep up with it?
    As I look in the memory in windows, it uses 4Gb to 4,5Gb. I have 8Gb installed.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya

I'm away at the moment but before I came I could have sworn that rf2 actually ran better on certain higher settings,
    which I found a tad odd (that was the build before this one though)

15. datanode

datanode Registered

It could be, sounds similar to what settings I have but the road / env reflections are the worst culprits for me.

Also level 1 soft particles is ok, the most recent build had knocked my FPS back, haven't figured it all out yet.

If it is memory, then try all settings high and only your car on full.

Also what track car combo?

More importantly... What car ;)

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

This, thank you.
    I thought I had it nailed again with some tweaking but joining our server today (and alt tabbing allot for admin stuff) the freezing went totally berserk, so much so I could hardly race but menu's and session changes where horrifying slow as well.
    I'm used to the menus and session changes to load rather slowly and leaves the game hanging for some time but now it was like 10 to 30 seconds where rf2 just froze and I wondered my if pc was crashing.

I've always blamed my mediocre system for it before but its getting out of hand now.
    so alt+tab was the culprit, good to know. sad knowing I wont be multitasking anymore :/
    This is in windowed mode btw.

17. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well, I meant; the stuttering is way less when I set things on full instead of high. lowering has no use.

The car is the 60's ISI F2 on the ISI Monaco track. But I have it on all the combo's I tried; some more, some less.

18. datanode

datanode Registered

Hmm if you think it is memory related try lower texture setting.

Your AA should be ok.

Stuttering was worse on friends with opponent detail, but the 60's F2 wasn't what I expected, sorry I realise now it was obviously monaco.

Make sure track is medium or high at most.

The only full setting I use currently is my own car, I have a 780, but it looks fine like this.

Ensure everything else is off, I recommend going over Denstjiro's post on definitive graphics settings.

19. datanode

datanode Registered

Alt+tab on this build lowers my FPS significantly, as does any background process.

More so than before, head tracking and all that jazz is now off :-(

20. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

If understand this line correct you use the windowed mode ?
    If yes bad thing it higher the input lag and had some other disadvantages (which I can't remember :D )
    I read this in the performance wiki post :)