Stuttering in B590 (skipping parts of the track even)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Navigator, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Y-you mean the one I wrote??? dang! :p

Actually I wrote Some users experience an improvement in windowed.....and that's just it, wont work for anyone, but it might.

In fact, I don't alt+tab out at all, I use windowed so I can click on my 2nd monitor which gets me out of rf2. Because with previous builds alt+tab would give me issues so windowed was the solution for me.

No idea how technically different alt vs my way is though, could be exactly the same, or not.

2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Anyway, I see more of the stuttering in other topics, not everyone posted here.
    So; the problem is there with this build.

@ Tim;

This problem is not in the topic you made for your colleagues to see. Maybe you didn't have time yet, maybe it doesn't qualify.

But is there a threshold for problems to qualify?
    Because it IS a pain in the butt to me and others.

3. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

After reading again some posts about the windowed mode I must say sorry I was wrong and had mistaken the windowed mode with some vsync options. If it works for you then it's fine :)

4. Tosch

Tosch Registered

If you have problems with stuttering in windowed mode I would strongly recommend to disable Windows aero.

5. datanode

datanode Registered

I am not sure if you have tried to see at what point the stuttering stops. Can you stop it at all?

Start with fewer opponents? Do you get stutter with just one? That may change views on what route of optimisation to go down.

Try opponents on medium or even low.

Turn texture quality down to medium

Turn you own car down to medium.

Shadows medium

Shadow blur none

Everything else off

Monaco detail can be a killer? Especially on video ram, why not try medium on that too?

Have you tried no opponents?

Have tried different numbers to see where it starts...

Have you got the weather effects on and it is a wet race?

If you can't see any other options maybe try these.

A reinstall over the top using lite build. If you rename your documents folder before you start you can then use that as a backup and copy the bits you need. This is detailed better elsewhere on the forums and a more advanced method. So proceed with care ;) it is not particularly hard however.

In summary I think the performance in this build has utilised my cpu more, maybe you were close to a limit before? Maybe something has to give to reclaim that performance. Hence I am suggesting lowering settings.

Some of it is squared at cpu some at memory because they both could be limited.

I would suggest trying these things as the utilisation of more resource is clearly going to continue.

Maybe there are optimisations to be made by ISI maybe there aren't. Only time and future builds will tell :)

6. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

I've no problems with stuttering in this build (better I say not more as before)
    What I've noticed on my system is if i activate the sky and cloud movement gfx feature then I get much more stuttering and I've to customize all settings to reduce it.
    ATM I've disabled this option and it's fine for me.

You can see my machine spec in my profile.

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

That is what we do in server settings as well, the less dynamic stuff is going on the better for the drivers in general (performance wise)

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

rF2 (and rF1) drop CPU utilization when the came isn't in the foreground. Maybe the game isn't properly disabling the throttling when returning to foreground. You can disable this in the PLR file. I am curious if this would help at all. Probably totally unrelated though.

Give it a shot though... can't hurt:
    Code:
    Inactive Sleep Time="-1"
    The default is 25ms... set that to -1 to disable.

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I'm not playing windowed mode nor have I alt-tabbed but the problem is (still) there.

Lowering the settings doesn't do me good; the stuttering seems even more until I set them higher.....then it seems less......

This is with all the mods/tracks. With the ISI ones too.

Don't know why Tim doesn't respond (to my question before or the topic) anymore. Maybe he doesn't know the answer, but then it's strange it isn't in the bugs topic as he said he would pile up all the bugs.
    I'm not the only one and not even all the stuttering problems are posted in this thread.

10. datanode

datanode Registered

I have now noticed considerable drops in performance. My bottleneck is CPU. Is it possible the CPU is the weaker part here too?

I have just lost 40fps because of this, likewise no settings make any difference at all.

Try ensuring free look is off completely e.g. If you move your mouse you don't look around the cock pit.

I clawed back 5 FPS because of that, despite not even using it!

Bit frustrated with this myself considering I was happy until the last build.

It seems those with more expensive hardware now get much better utilised performance. Which is in all honesty great. Just not for me right now.

Not sure why such a hit on my system with no discernible difference on the outside. But simple answers would indeed help.

11. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Thank you Noel, it fixed the problems I described when Alt+Tabbing out of the game and back in for me. :)
    I'm running fullscreen mode on a single monitor setup.

12. datanode

datanode Registered

Try your texture filter on trilinear and see if that helps?

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Great post all in all... Will pass this info on, not sure we can do much about it as it is a Windows issue, but we'll see.

14. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks Tim, we'll see what comes out of it.
    I saw you noted it as a possible aero issue. It sounds familiar, but I can't find it back.

I'll test that anyway.

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I experienced this over the weekend on 590. I managed to find some really good settings to get smooth jitter free gfx just in time for a 12 hour race I had to do. I was all excited about this but then right before jumping on to do my driver swap I realized I forgot to switch TeamSpeak's output from my main speakers to my headset. So I minimized rF2 and when I come back my frame rate has tanked. I normally don't have a problem at all with minimizing rf2. It is as if this build isn't turning off the sleep timer when the game regains focus. I know there has been some work in this area with regards to lost input when swapping tasks. Maybe a bug slipped in there while working on that. I normally disable the sleep timer on my installs but I just checked my install and sure enough the sleep timer is at the default 25. I am going to do some testing to see if I can duplicate it consistently and see if setting the sleep timer to -1 solves it consistently.