stuttering at 144hz and high fps!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by LokiD, May 14, 2017.

1. LokiD

LokiD Registered

see page 2

Guys I'm getting micro stuttering even though my fps is locked at 60fps. Ive just noticed it just on Portugal - on the last sweeping right hander before th straight. I do have time scale on x10, and I know in AMS GSCE this used to give you microstutter.

Could this be it?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Does it go away on normal timescale?

3. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Don't use Sync. Instead limit your fps to 121 with rivatuner.

4. Louis

Louis Registered

i dont have microstuttering but have sometimes one big stutter enough to crash or loosing control (F1 1988 in monaco from racerfactor)

*around 60 and 70 fps

5. Emery

Emery Registered

How are you locking fps to 60?
    • If you're using Sync (vSync, gSync, or FreeSync) , know that it adds lag, with vSync being very large and the other two just a little bit.
    • nVidia's Fast Sync adds no perceivable lag, but your fps needs to be at least 2x-3x the desired framerate and you don't bother with the game's Sync option as you set it in the nVidia control panel. Use a fixed refresh at the monitor. Capping framerate should be higher than 3x the refresh rate, otherwise don't bother with a cap.
    • Selecting Sync with "GPU sync" used with a fixed refresh monitor (not gSync or FreeSync) adds a touch of lag. If your fps drops below 60 due to timing jitters, then you'll get a microstutter, so either run with no cap on framerate or cap at a framerate higher than 60 (watch an unsynched fps counter with a framerate cap and you'll see it move up/down by 1 fps due to timing jitters).
    • If you aren't using a Sync option and you want to avoid seeing screen tear, use a prime number above the refresh rate that's between 1.0x framerate and 1.5x framerate. Doing so greatly reduces the chance of you seeing the tears because they won't appear near the same place in two successive frames. You also avoid microstutters this way unless your fps falls just under the refresh rate.
    These days, with my ordinary monitors overclocked to 75 Hz, my preference is to use nVidia's Fast Sync provided I can get enough fps. My second preference is no Sync and third preference is GPU sync. Since rF2 doesn't give me the fps for Fast Sync with triple monitors in multiview, I use no Sync because I don't want any lag and am willing to suffer the occasional screen tear.

Fixed refresh rates in the 90-100 Hz range will keep screen tears from being obvious. Even 75 Hz is helpful in this regard (and greatly reduces the background blur when going around a hairpin).

Mauro, Louis and Jake Loewenstein like this.
  6. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Nice report.
    Some things to add. GPU sync never worked for me, I still get tearing with this option.
    Fast Sync will probably be not as smooth as traditional v-sync. It depends on how consistent your frame times are. If you can get 120+ fps it's definitely worth a try.

7. demerzel

demerzel Registered

Vsync doesn't cause input lag according to Marcel.
    http://i.imgur.com/suplwLc.png

I'm curious how big is the display lag tho.

8. Emery

Emery Registered

For the record, when you break it down between display lag and game response, I agree with Marcel. However, it is total lag that we notice and display lag is massive with regular vSync turned on.

You can easily try testing yourself or you can search for videos on YouTube. Though it's for rF1, this is a good video demonstrating the difference:

Richard729 and demerzel like this.
  9. LokiD

LokiD Registered

fast was not very smooth at all. Worked on ghost recon wildlands, but in a race sim, its not smooth. I never noticed this stutter before in RF2 think was using the video option. haven't had time to try anything yet. I can never play a race game with vsync off.

Ive never had bad lag like above with vsync on at all. I use it a lot.

FuzzyFassbender likes this.
  10. LokiD

LokiD Registered

just tried some testing with GPU vsync (NVidia vsync on), got drops of 45 fps.. On Video (Vsync ingame) was pretty much 60 all the way round. Slight stutter still on last corner.

11. Emery

Emery Registered

@LokiD - we come back to the questions of what kind of display, what video card, DX11 Beta or DX9, and whether you are capping framerate in the player.JSON file?

Hint: if you fill out the system info in your forum profile, people won't need to repeatedly ask as many questions.

bravotangosix likes this.
  12. LokiD

LokiD Registered

i7 3770k
    gtx 1080
    16ram.
    DX11
    Ultra-wide 2560x1080

NOt capping fps

13. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

With "minimum frames ahead = 1" in nvidia control panel i get the input lag down much from what is in that video above. Both AC and rF2 if i run without adaptive vsync its stuttery. Probably because i dont get high enough FPS in general, but even when i had 250FPS in AC i still saw stutter. So for me i always need it even though i dont want it (due to the minor, but more than without, vsync).

14. LokiD

LokiD Registered

ok I think this is just a stutter with Portugal, it happens just after the rhino sign on last corner. It does seem to need optimisation on a few corners. I tried Time scale to 0 and still did it.

15. Emery

Emery Registered

Monitor has gSync? FreeSync? And if so, is it enabled at the monitor?

16. LokiD

LokiD Registered

just want to add the devs have noticed this and thee is a fix coming soon!

stutter at high fps.

jayarrbee36 and Rui Santos like this.
  17. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

i7 6700k
    GTX 980
    16GB RAM
    DX11
    ACER PREDATOR Z35 Ultra-wide 2560x1080 (G-Sync)

Some stuttering in certain parts of tracks. Still testing, like i've said before Suzuka is the worst one... around 90/100FPS rF2 is not a fluid experience at all due to that stuttering/micro-stuttering... glad to hear the devs are working on it!

18. tpw

tpw Registered

With the latest beta build the stuttering is very noticeable with just about all cars and tracks, even though the FPS remains at a solid 60fps and my GFX card usage is not exceeding 70%.

I wonder if the problems might be physics related. Everything is smooth until me or a nearby AI runs over a bumpy curb, skids a little, bumps another car, or otherwise asks a bit more of the physics/tyre model. If you look closely it appears that the when the stuttering happens the cars are actually warping to and fro by 10cm or more. With some car/track combos such as Corvette/Portugal the warping is very noticeable, looks like rF1.

I hope it's fixed soon, it is making playing a bit of a tooth grind at the moment.

19. LokiD

LokiD Registered

yep it is fixed and Marrs actually said what was wrong on discord last night. can't remember what it was Vo

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  20. LokiD

LokiD Registered

im also glad as i cant stick my time scale back up to x10 and see the day pass into night! ;)