SSD & Rfactor2

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by smbrm, Dec 10, 2016.

1. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Did some searching, but didn't really find an answer, looking for a quick reply. Does having Rfactor2 on an SSD have any benefit in addition to making it load faster?

2. Georg

Georg Registered

SSD have no advantage except in loading in every game. You get the Data faster into the RAM. Once you`re ingame your HDD/SSD is barely used.

John likes this.
  3. Traveller

Traveller Member

What Georg typed.

4. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Ok, thanks guys. I was just wondering if there was anything different about Rfactor2 on this topic. Was looking to segregate my games to a seperate drive from windows.

5. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

If your replays are recorded to disk, that might affect game. Also, plugins, for example, spotter, loads audio files from disk. Not huge, but first load of each sound might affect game, although I do not know yet how much delays in plugins affect FPS/smoothness of game. I am personally keeping only videos and software backup on HDD.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  6. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Actually I was wondering about just those points, but forgot to mention them. I have a small SSD for windows, but thought games on a separate SSD rather than my current HDD might take some load off especially on replay recording?

Does SSD extra speed/smaller storage size balance out with slower speed/larger storage HHD for the same $?

I'm not short on drive space just looking at an efficient/ beneficial way to keep stuff separate?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  7. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

From performance standpoint it is hard to tell without measuring, because in any case writes and reads (sometimes even first read) is cached by the OS. I am personally keeping OS, programs and games on SSD. Since I have extra space, I also store music on SSD, which is mostly a waste, because SSD mostly helps with accessing of many small files. Basically, everything that needs to be read more than once is better off on SSD. The most obvious advantage - initial load of game, for example. Also, since SSDs are pretty much slow RAM, I don't think you'll gain much by storing Windows and Games on separate SSDs (because accessing multiple files at once is not as problematic as with mechanical disk). One thing to keep in mind, some SSDs need to have at least 20% of free space to perform optimally. That said, all of the above is actually not worth losing sleep over, in my opinion :) Just my 2 cents.

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Loading times are a tad faster. Counts for every game. In my opinion it is worth it.

9. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Install your entire system on the ssd. instant application starts, lower boot- and loadingtimes, everything feels more snappy.