Some interesting views about rFactor in this article.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Associat0r, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Travis

Travis Registered

That opinion piece on Assetto Corsa was certainly interesting. I don't agree at all with his assertions but then he is free to like whatever he so chooses. I've been very disappointed with AC apart from its hot lapping which breaks my heart as I'm a fan of both netKar Pro and Ferrari Virtual Academy. AC was touted as having sublime physics and FFB like the earlier releases plus adding solid multiplayer code, quality AI, features such as a career mode and modding support. As of today, only one of the three is really in what one could say is in a completed state.

As for rFactor versus rFactor 2 comment, it's evident to anyone who has used both sims that rFactor 2 is far more advanced; it builds off things learnt from rFactor. That said there is life in the old sim as Reiza are showing with Game Stock Car Extreme and Sector 3 are putting the isiMotor 2 physics to good use in R3E. ISI really built something unique with rFactor as its longevity is testament to how solid its fundamentals are. It would be fanastic to have more than rFactor 2 using isiMotor 2.5 - I guess that'll be ISI's plan for the future.

2. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Likewise...I love Netkar Pro clutch modelling. Was really looking forward for AC but they have gone the simcade direction.

3. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I don't have any knowledge :)
    I just think isi would want to be happy with rf2 before they start letting others use the engine, if rieza got to work on it today, how long would it take the devs to learn the far superior advanced engine, we saw over 2 years ago what its capable of with the video of rain on the windshield, rieza are genius at what they do, but I think they would be almost starting over with the new engine.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

I wish it would be a modding platform foremost as was rF1, with ISI content coming as bonus. Sadly modding got so difficult and very few determined modders left out there, 95% of modded cars/tracks are just conversions from older rF1 stuff.

5. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

I would prefer mods for rFactor 2 instead of fragmenting the community with loads of titles based on the same engine.

6. msportdan

msportdan Banned

STONEC@ isnt this a little worrying for RF2..

7. Minibull

Minibull Member

I wouldn't think so. I always remember there only being a handful of really top notch mods with all the boxes ticked previously. Same deal again, there are those few with such talents and skills to make truly top notch content, and they appear every so often. A recent example is the mysterious 32 Pixels hahaha.
    There will also be modders who are just focusing on their 3D art work, and they would probably want to showcase their stuff in the best light, all is fair especially when it comes to jobs/portfolio and potential work.

Things do take a while to learn with all these new technologies available, and I can only see things picking up as more pieces of the puzzle come together. As it becomes a more complete sim with lots of features for many racing series plus weather plus 24hr racing, that will surely attract more people looking for a sim that can offer lots of possibilities. UI work is looking pretty swish so far, new mod distribution through the launcher, much closer to a more rounded out tyre model with the new CPM, lighting tweaks and a much more uniform lighting model from track to track, etc.
    Stockcars/Oval rules/Indycar updates, that stuff will be pretty big IMO. And now with the lighting fixes, endurance racing does look real attractive. Bring on the prototype cars and a field like the EGT stuff, that's another big pull. Enduracers too...maybe some other groups will start to pick up their ears, we just have to wait and see haha.

Something to do with the slow modding is the tyres too, hearing how they take a bit of time and knowledge to perfect. What will happen though is as more and more tyres are built for different cars, they can then be suitably adapted across cars and series. Sort of like a database of tyres may eventually be able to be compiled, from all the known releases of vehicles. As ISI put more cars out with varying tyres, thats a bigger pool of tyre styles being made available. Heck, if someone is doing a street car, they could even go grab an old tyre and slice it open to try and better model it XD

Some were crying a few of months ago, like rF2 was about to die, how the devs are doing the wrong things, how all the "fanboys" do nothing to help the sim progress, rah rah. Things take time though as we can see, why be negative about things all the time? We have seen some great progress in the last build, and I hope it keeps on rolling.
    Then again, maybe the moaners think that they actually helped bring the changes through, in which case the cycle will continue lol..."Thanks to my post, the devs got their s**t together..."

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Problem is not only coming of rF2 but whole sim modding community. We see the same for Assetto Corsa. Ok, maybe there are a bit more mods, but not much more original modding work for AC either. I am still waiting for a proper F1 mod for rF2, it's a bit ridiculous it hasn't been made yet. Right, it's illegal to copy F1 trademarks, but at least make some F1 carmodel base with realistic physics.

9. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

We already have the finest F1 cars available in the game already. Just need some skins.

10. Minibull

Minibull Member

True. Just needs the right person with the right motivation and the dedication to their craft to nail it. It's why in some ways I do donate to modders when they have put out something really good. I've got hours and hours from their hard work, I'm gunna give a bit back and hope they can continue with their work and their talents.

With F1, we're getting some decent early 90's stuff, and there is a 2015 being sussed too, plus the 2012 stuff from ISI. What I'm missing is the 03/04/05 cars...I dearly hope that ISI will release a big, noisy, swoopy and fast F1 car from that period...give me that and Suzuka and I'll be really happy lol.

11. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

with difficulties comes great things

12. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

All the more reason for ISI to concentrate on their own content and worry less about modders. Plus if a modder nowadays wants to make a big splash in the sim racing community he goes to AC where there are more users to see his work.

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Great point.

14. Travis

Travis Registered

I understand that's your wish but it didn't hurt rFactor or ISI to have isiMotor 2 be the basis for many sublime racing sims.

Further, many people in the sim racing community would really like to see what talented developers such as Reiza could do with the superior rF2 platform. How would Reiza be remunerated if they create Game Stock Car Extreme as a mod? Will ISI pay them to create a GSCE mod? Reiza cannot be expected to make an add-on for free given they are a professional development team and need to be paid for their work.

There is another issue - paid for mods such as the ones created by URD are apparently very easy to obtain without payment irrespective of platform (for the record, I own the URD T5 and EGT releases for rF2 and AC and will happily provide proof :)) so it makes financial sense to create a 'stand alone' sim rather than a mod if you are a professional development team.

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Funny, I haven't seen how to easily obtain the URD content, or that Gingerman Raceway track.

(I do own URD stuff for rF2)

16. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

It can be argued that we could have had more quality mods and a tighter community for rFactor and rFactor 2 with fewer racing sims.

I never said anything about free. See the following link: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...LC-cars-tracks?p=346942&viewfull=1#post346942
    Also it's not so sure whether Reiza is going to switch to rF2, given the improvements they are doing themselves.

The same applies to full titles as well, but as my previous link shows, ISI has plans to mitigate this problem for mods.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
  17. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Thought rieza were developing there own engine for a senna based game ?

18. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

The article's writer should be drunk when produced it.

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Same goes for reviewers gave AC 90% - 100% lol

Like GTR2 you give 90% ... it has 24hour racing, night, weather, career, championships, decent Ai , one patch, etc etc.

Personally I do not think either AC or rF2 are 9/10 yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2015