Some interesting views about rFactor in this article.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Associat0r, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

GSC is great. But I cant sim without realroad anymore. It feels flat and fake without it.

2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

No I also find it extremely difficult to fully enjoy other sim titles with out Real Road.
    Kinda hard to see the point in racing them, to be honest.

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It is not our job. ISI's work into rFactor 2 and improving its quality will do the talking. Doing this only portrays an angry mob of fanboys view that gets disregarded. Post and hopefully show facts you can back up and leave it at that, that's what I learned. Allow the author to inform him/herself.

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

As a community, yes, it is our job to a certain extent.

By "slamming disinformation" I meant, like you say, by providing facts, and not let untrue statements about this sim stand unchallenged.
    Not running around like a raving mad fanboy, but simply put as much of the disinformation to rest as possible.

People having different tastes in what sims they like: I'm all for that, no doubt, goes without saying.
    But purposely trying to damage rF2, like many people sadly do by providing lies and disinformation, simply cannot stand.

5. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I always enjoy reading your remarks on other forums Hex, I always think you are polite and put facts across in a detailed and very professional adult manner.
    The problem we have with rF2 is the 1000s of youtube vids of very bad looking track conversions, and I am guilty of uploading 1 or 2 myself. A curious casual racer, perhaps looking for something more challenging or realistic will take a look at the video and think jesus christ that looks bad !!

I am slowly pulling down my old videos from 2 years ago, I would hope others could too, or edit them with Build number or date, because tbh rF2 is a completely different beast from even 12 months ago.

6. msportdan

msportdan Banned

I wont lie, ive come on here since my arrival and praised and beaten ISI and Rf2 (one instance got me banned). Im having a internal struggle myself with GSC and RF2, I cant make up my mind what sim I want to perfect and continue with. Rf2 can do most things gSC can only dream of, but theres this soul to GSC you cant ignore. They both play marvellously, its hard to pick one over the other.

but I came to PC sim racing to find the most realistic rendition of motorsport I could find which is also accessible. My mind has been made up with Rf2. I will still dabble in GSC and try every update they release, its a great sim, but rf2 has much more potential on the new engine.

But my point here is Rf2 isn't perfect the fact that imo its pretty close with gsc which Is on the older rf1 platform says it all. ISI do need to start perfecting elements (wet weather racing, physics in every car etc etc) like they have with the visuals. I know things take time and money, but maybe there priorities could of been a little better organised. Theres nothing wrong with constructive criticism, sometimes constant praise doesn't always help the authors.

7. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I think there is no reason to make up an opinion about which one is the better sim. GSC and rF2 are both very good and i don't think there is much wrong in either one. No reason to stop playing another if you like both. Probably some cars in gsc are more accurate than some cars in rF2 and the other way around.

8. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

rF2 is sold as a modding platform and it should be judged on its features alone, not on the quality of the default content. The default content, while good should be viewed as a bonus and an example for modders to follow.
    GSCE is sold as a complete out of the box sim, based on rF1, so it better have great content. It's a totally different situation.
    Nobody was complaining about this or that default car not driving well in rF1 either.

9. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree. That was rF1, not rF2.

I did not buy rF2 for mods. Wasn't even in my mind. I bought it because of ISI content. I think there are a lot people who feel the same way.

in rF2, mods are the bonus, not the selling point IMO.

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Right with you, buddhatree.

ISI addressed some of the big ticket things that were an issue per-se of rFactor with rFactor2. Force feedback, stock content quality (really some of the cars are in different realms of existence), moving arms ( :p ), and weather.

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

It's hard to find a pCARS video without version number, date and WIP written all over it.
    I even read once that the early access guys were forced by the company to do that when uploading videos.

Exactly right, it is a modding platform, first and foremost.

The point was that ISI set out to make one or two of each type of car, to give a good baseline for modders to learn from.
    It was then up the modders to create new vehicles, entire series etc.

And this is where we are finally getting to now that modders have become much more familiar with the tools provided and the new technologies.

The fact that the ISI content is just off the charts great doesn't change the fact that this sim was/is made for modders.

12. matf1

matf1 Registered

This is how I see it and surely ISI too? Otherwise we would have more series represented already, we'd have championships in game etc.

When Reiza release GSC2 on the new engine, there won't be a sim that will touch it!

13. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Hex bro, not you too? ;)

I still disagree guys.

You've got ISI actively acquiring licenses and refining tracks and cars over 3-4 years now. New content new licenses coming for the foreseeable future.

This is a platform for ISI content that just happens to be modable.

14. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I think ISI definatly wants to create great (excellent) stock content for rF2, way more so then in rF1. But then again, while they do their best at great stock content, ISI (Tim) didn't make a secret of it that they want a lot of diverse content, and that it could be used by modders as a base/example for making complete series in that genre (stockcar, single seater, touring car, etc. ;) )

but I PERSONALLY do agree with buddhatree, in that I bought the game mainly for the stock content. (atm I only have ISI created, or affiliated (longford, brazil, corvette, nsx) content)

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

I'd say it's like it's being done as a guide for modders and how to go about things, or give a basic idea through the tyres and chassis setup.
    It also could be seen as a showcase just for the engine as a whole. How many different styles of vehicles can be well simulated, showing it off as a versatile engine that isn't focussed at a certain breed of race vehicle. Be that just to try and be the best simply around, or to show it off to potential groups looking to licence the engine.

All I know is it is looking great atm haha. When we get stock cars and fixed indy cars and more f1 cars and leman prototype cars and probably what I'm looking forward to most is the old 50's Mercedes-Benz

16. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I agree with buddha. I don't see rF2 being a modding platform FIRST at all. Modding to me is more like a bonus with rF2.

17. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

+1 regarding the 50s Benz but I'll take the Cobra too ;)

I have exactly one car and one track on my fresh 946 install. Trying to fight A.D.D. :p

18. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Assuming of course isi will allow the new engine to be used by other devs, reiza do a great job with the rf1 engine, but I think it will be many years down the line and more like gsc 3 or 4 before they perfected the new engine like the old, if it even happens.

19. matf1

matf1 Registered

I'll bow to your knowledge and experience but I'd have thought it was the point of rF2.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

For me the big question is will rF2 get enough runners to make payware worthwhile.

AC could keep pumping out DLC and make dollars from the amount of users, ProjectCARS as well.
    Equally mods that reach say URD standards no mater what the series would get swept up in a heartbeat .

rF2 I think it is unreasonable to except hi quality huge community mods to be made for nothing anymore.
    I can see in years time a team developing a Full Season GP 1967 or similar with individual physics and tyres.

But with rF2 the problem is where do you get the kind of sales needed to make it viable ?