Some Advice Please

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Burnout, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Burnout

Burnout Registered

I'm working on a unusual layout for drifting (based on a deserted industrial site in Green Cove Springs, Fl.). Basically, it's a parking lot. But I'm not sure if it's even possible to make such a layout let alone how I should go about modeling the surface. Any advice? I figure the course would work similar to a rally event where you have a start and finish at two different points. As for the surface itself, spline modeling doesn't seem like it would be the way to go since really you can drive anywhere. I was just making it like you would a parking lot using just a subdivided plane but I don't know how that would work in the rF2 engine. I've included a mockup of how the course looks and could use some feedback about how to accomplish this.
    GCD_Layout.jpg

2. blakboks

blakboks Registered

As of right now, we don't have anything regarding A-to-B (rally-style) racing. It is something that is planned for rF2 in the future. Until that time, you'll have to make it a circuit type (with sectors and everything).

As far as the modeling goes, I'd recommend starting out like you already have--with a plane--and adjust heights of verts as necessary to add a little variation (it's rare that a parking lot is perfectly flat for various reasons, such as drainage). This will make all of the mapping quite easy, actually. Then, when you're pretty happy with what you've got as far as geometry and diffuse, spec, mult mapping, you might want to 'cut' in the general driving path, and add subdivsions that follow the contour of that path so the racegroove will better follow the direction of traffic.

It would be very interesting if ISI could open up the rules to some sort of mod-able scripting, so we could build specific rules such as Drifting--where there's only two cars on track at a time; knock-out, ladder-type scoring; they run through the course once, switch sides and run again; and the winner is chosen by voting in the 'lobby'.

3. ethone

ethone Registered

Great map, a good preparation like that is the best basis for an awesome track. :)
    As for how to go about it, if you make the track link up like on your map there shouldn't be an issue for multiplayer/lone car on track. If you ran it with 30 AIs that probably wouldn't work but I guess a drift track isn't for AI, right? :)
    Point-to-point should work at some point in the future but I haven't read anything about it.

For the parking lot, starting with a subdivided plane would be just fine. Model (street) curbs through lofting or whatever other technique you prefer.

4. Burnout

Burnout Registered

Thanks for the tips! I don't even think this course could handle 30 cars, more like 15-20, lol. I don't expect the AI to work at all on here, mainly it's for a single player practice course or an online competition. Even if A to B isn't implemented yet, at least I have a head start. And given the fact it's not meant for many cars, I can certainly add more detail to the surroundings, that should be fun and make it more believable. I guess I'm on the right path so far. :)

5. freew67

freew67 Registered

A-B worked in RF1, you just had to be creative. After doing the 1/4 on my dragstrip the race is over. Its not perfect but it works. Drifting I think only does 2 cas at a time? The layout in your pic would easily work with the same idea of my dragstrip. Its all about the xsectors.