So, this alpha channel on the road diffuse texture...

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by blakboks, Jan 10, 2012.

1. blakboks

blakboks Registered

...sounds like it's more-or-less a height-map?

2. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

I'd say its more like a specular map. the normal map would be the height-map.

3. blakboks

blakboks Registered

So then how is stage 5 used, I wonder?

4. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

The alpha channel acts as a mask for both the spec map (stage 5) and the wet reflections (inverted alpha).
    So basically, Specularity = Alpha Channel x Specular Map.

5. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Hmmm...interesting... Since the Beta seems like it might launch tomorrow or Wed., I'll reserve my further questions until I've had a chance to actually see for myself how these interact. At the moment, using the alpha as a mask for the spec doesn't really seem to do much on its own other than adding variation to break up the tiling of the spec map (stage 5), since you can do major tweaks to the the spec map itself (in addition to its use in wet reflections). Which, I guess in and of itself IS quite a bit.

Am I right in guessing that most of these alpha maps tend to hover right around 50% gray, maybe a little less (i.e. if you were to average all of the pixels in the texture)?

6. Luc Van Camp

It is a very effective way of breaking the tiling, yes. It is also useful if you want to highlight certain areas of the texture through the spec map (or the inverse).
    Typically, the alpha channels for the ISI tracks are on the white side.

7. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Ok, even though I said I was going to reserve my questions, I can't help but asking another---I've got so many! :D

Do the track reflections (reflectedenv?) have any sort of falloff depending on viewing angle? I remember one of the other guys around here always asking about proper Fresnel reflections... I'm sure it wouldn't matter much during a race, but it would probably make for some sweet-looking replays :cool:

8. Luc Van Camp

There is Fresnel stuff on the road surfaces, yes :) .

9. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Very Nice! Thanks again, Luc, for taking the time to answer my questions! I'm sure I'll have many more to come!

10. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yeah, fresnel term and floating-point reflection texture are two crucial things to get realistic reflections. Especially when comes to stuff like water, glass or carpaint.

There was no mention in tutorial whenever reflection textures are something like RGB8 or RGB16F, so I guess we just have to wait and see.