SMMG Position Led Panel - How to...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Slow Motion, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

March 2020: added a new pack for positioning the panel on window(s)!
    Thinking to do an useful move, here you will find the whole set of files that need for a quick and nice addition to any mod.

We (Chris "redapg" and I) know that S397 already provided info and main files for adding this feature, but you need to edit them, create some more rFactor2 files (GMT) with the right mapping, etc...
    On the contrary what we provide is a "ready-to-use" set of panels.
    Why set? Because a mere panel without thickness doesn't make sense for a quick and easy addition because in that case you must be forced to deform the panel plane to have it matching the surface where it must be "installed".
    We, on the contrary, provide panels with 5 different thickness that can be quicky positioned as you need, without curving or deforming them.

The panels are all left side panels and once you have correctly positioned and tested the left panel you only need to duplicate it...

PLP.jpg

Due to the specific feature, that "prints" the fonts position led on the panel, don't mirror the panel.

Of course there are several procedures you can follow and here we give some hint for one of them using 3DSimED3:
    1. import the basic panel with the thickness that you want to use
    2. import (as an object - mandatory) the body or window, etc..., where you want to have the panel at the car
    3. copy (Ctrl+C) the panel and paste it (Ctrl+V) to the object
    4. in the opening window, use the X, Y, Z coordinates and Yaw, Roll, Pitch values, to position the panel
    5. if it is positioned as you want to have it, write down the used X, Y, Z and Yaw, Roll, Pitch values
    6. click the green check mark to finish the process
    7. assuming you want to position the panel on side, you need the other side panel... go to the loaded basic panel again and go to Edit->Rotate and enter 180 into the cell Yaw and click OK
    8. copy the rotated panel and paste it also to the object (body or what else), where the left panel already is
    9. use the down-written X, Y, Z coordinates and Yaw, Roll, Pitch values, but using them with the opposite sign for X, Yaw and Roll to position the right panel according to the left one (in other words the left panel is +X you must write same value, but with negative sign; if Yaw / Roll have a positive value, the right panel must have same value, but negative)
    10. when done, click the green check mark again to finish the process
    11. go to Export->rFactor2 and click on "Save rFactor2 Model" NOT "Save rFactor2 Object"
    12. enter a name for the new led panel mesh and save the file

Do not forget to use specific name for any item / file (also into the GMT files, for the material names) to avoid any issue and interference with other mods in devmode.

As explained into the https://docs.studio-397.com/developers-guide/cars/car-art/car-position-led-lights, also remember few more things:
    • in case of multi classes mods, use a different color for each font that shows the car position for each class (not mandatory but useful to quickly identify any font associated to the class): into the zip, actually the file "CARNAME_POS_R_FONT" is in red and it is used into the "CARNAME_externaldisplays.ini" to identify the position of the car (the other font "CARNAME_POS_Y_FONT" is yellow and currently used for showing the time elapsed at the pit stop) - feel free to use any color you prefer according with the lines into the "CARNAME_externaldisplays.ini"
    • put the file "CARNAME_externaldisplays.ini" into the Teams Folder
    • add the line "ExternalDisplays=CARNAME_externaldisplays.ini" into the VEH files
    The rar file also contains the PSD file, in case you want to modify the textures.

Thank you and enjoy this new rFactor2 feature!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    svictor, Corti, dylbie and 16 others like this.
  2. McFlex

McFlex Registered

You do an absolut astonishing job. :cool:

ApexModding likes this.
  3. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

You are wrong. We never show the overall position of the car in a race, what you see is always the position in class. The two just happen to be the same if there is only one class. Also, the you can make these position lights any color you like. So I don't know why you state you need to wait for an improvement. Everything is there and working right now and explained here:

https://docs.studio-397.com/developers-guide/cars/car-art/car-position-led-lights

Of course we appreciate the fact that you share your work with the community.

Nibiru, Slow Motion and Lazza like this.
  4. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Grrrrr, yes, now that you pointed me I understand better the meaning of "they will also show your position in class with color coding"
    Great, we already have the best!

Nibiru likes this.
  5. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

most mods (& even the GT3 pack) have each car in it's own class so the first of each type of car would show as pos 1. will this only be addable to new mods produced from now or are we able to set what class a car is in. (or will we have to rely on the makers of the mod going back and putting all their cars as the same class so this will work)

6. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

It is correct that we made a mistake with the class naming on the GT3 pack and that will obviously be fixed. This is not something new though. If you expanded the standings during a race you would already see the position in class. And yes it has to be done correctly by a modder or league making their own mod, but it is a simple change.

Steve Olden likes this.
  7. DustySticks

DustySticks Registered

@Slow Motion I don't have any 3D program or experience with one. How would someone like me go about adding position panels? I want to add them to the upcoming Reiza DLC. Any help would be appreciated.

8. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Just to have another option, here is attached the "SMMG_windows_positionLED" pack to show the class position, also positioning the panel(s) on window(s).
    Please follow same rules of the previous pack and doc released by S397.
    In this case the panel, named "inside_posled.gmt" has been positioned to coordinates 0,0,0 to easily translate and rotate it also in 3dsimed.
    A big thanks to Chris "redapg" that is always ready to help the rF2 community!

20200305104135_1.jpg

Attached Files:

9. David Acorn

David Acorn Registered

This is perfect, exactly what I am looking for, however, I don't have much experience in modding, still learning, I am using 3DSIMED3. Is there any more examples of implementing this? I don't know where it will be put as in which gmt file it should be instilled. Thank in advance.

10. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Info into the first post are what you need to follow, step by step once you have unpacked the content and using 3DSimEd. Nothing more.
    Few months ago we have also added another pack to have one "windows" position led, mainly for front window.
    The pack contains all basic files that you need: GMT file, textures, font.
    In case you could unpack a mod that uses the panel led to look at folders, etc, but take in mind that each modder uses each way...

11. David Acorn

David Acorn Registered

Hi, I have tried to follow this but I am lost right at the start as to how to import the position LED into the car model, I have the car loaded, the position LED loaded but Ican't' seem to get them into the same working space/tab. I think one I figure that out it seems straight forward. I have used a few different 3D apps but this one seems to not work as what I am used to.

12. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

You must be confident in using 3dsimed and how managing objects, as well as the gmt files of the veh... and of course the gen and structure of the mod.

13. David Acorn

David Acorn Registered

Well I am learning, I got it all in now but just working on the VEH files now, question on the GEN file, which one is it I add the
    Instance=Plights_Glow too?

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I have added it to both gen files.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    David Acorn likes this.
  15. David Acorn

David Acorn Registered

Ok got it working after some tweaks in Dev Mode, question on the overall design, is it meant to show when inside of the vehicle like the 397 ones that come with their cars? Ideally I would like to have it that way, right now its working great outside but I don't see it inside. Other is I need green font for display on GT3 cars but that's not a problem to make. Thanks again for everyone's help.

16. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

To show the Plight inside the car, too, i have added the Plight to the Cockpit Instance:
    Code:
    MeshFile=bmw320gto_posled.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0) LODOut=(2) ShadowCaster=(True, Solid) ShadowReceiver=True

17. David Acorn

David Acorn Registered

Perfect thanks I will try that!