Should we better avoid the Halloween sale for rFactor2 in future?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 8bar, Dec 27, 2023.

1. elgagon

elgagon Registered

This is what you want.
    Who knows if it's better or worst?
    It seems that many people don't agree with you.

2. Bernat

Bernat Registered

He's annoyed because a week after he bought some DLC the packages changed and the same content was cheaper. I don't think he has proposed a better pricing policy but even if he did, it isn't the main argument.

The content is already very well priced, and on top of that there are sales. I understand some might disagree but this isn't a product for the masses and every track and car takes a lot of work to produce besides the licensing costs. And this isn't a money grabber game that releases a sequel every 4 years to make cash again from the same content. Getting the absolute lowest price isn't mandatory. I look at sales like some gift I'm getting sometimes without a reason.

pkelly and elgagon like this.
  3. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

Do you do bother the staff at your local supermarket with this shit too?
    How about restaurants?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
  4. Emery

Emery Registered

My ignore list finally grew.

5. trichens

trichens Registered

Today on Steam

[​IMG]

I never understand how they can price the base "game" so cheaply.
    Buy once and all the bug fixes and improvements for free...

Attached Files:

6. 8bar

8bar Registered

@Emery Who cares?

@The_Bad_Fasterd No, but here in this forum software prices are compared to Coca Cola, chocolate, rice, etc., just read the last comments.

@Bernat It wasn't one week but three and it's not just about changed prices within a very short time, it's about Studio397 removing a BTCC car from the BTCC series and my purchase was not only 3 weeks too early, but completely for nothing because I couldn't drive then at all. Try to sugercoat it up again.

7. 8bar

8bar Registered

@elgagon
    Do you want to know what fair prices look like?

TRACKS
    Daytona International Speedway (includes the road courses, which will be completed later with the oval)
    Weathertech Laguna Seca Raceway
    Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach

CARS
    DPi class (Cadillac DPi-V.R)
    GTE class (BMW M8, Corvette C8.R and Porsche 991 RSR)

ROADS
    Cleveland Burke Lakefront road course
    Watkins Glen International
    Road America

CARS
    Formula USA Gen1 with Reynard 95i & Lola T95
    Formula USA Gen2 with Reynard 98i, Swift 009c & Lola T98
    Formula USA Gen3 with Reynard 2Ki & Lola B2K/00

All together for 10,49 Euro in Automobilista 2.
    Please compare this with rFactor2.
    And best of all, this price was the same during the Halloween sale and the winter sale.
    Is that so difficult to understand or implement?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
  8. The_Bad_Fasterd

And a Seat is cheaper than a Porsche.
    If you dont want to spend the money, go drive the Seat?

9. 8bar

8bar Registered

Great answer, nothing more I can add.

The_Bad_Fasterd likes this.
  10. elgagon

elgagon Registered

The thing is that the answer is right.
    If you think that AMS2 and rF2 are the same, why to buy rF2 content if it's more expensive?
    Has the content of both sims the same quality?
    Are both sims using the same technology ant the costs of making content are the same?

11. The_Bad_Fasterd

The tracks you mentioned arent even laserscanned as far as I can tell.

I have over 500h into AMS2 and Ive been trying with every update to get back into it.
    But as much as I try, the cars dont behave like actual cars and for those two reasons alone Ill rather spend some extra money on rf2.

If you really think AMS2 is as good but so much cheaper than RF2, I honestly dont know why youre not just playing AMS2.

12. Jirka Gillig

Jirka Gillig Registered

Why dont you buy this content once more for better price? I believe RF2 allows that.

13. 8bar

8bar Registered

@elgagon
    You're right, the quality of AMS2 is really better.

@The_Bad_Fasterd
    Do I really have to explain to you why I don't just want to drive only one sim?

14. 8bar

8bar Registered

That would be desirable, but unfortunately it is not the case. I can't tell you how many times I've paid double and triple for content in rFactor2. Steam says you have to contact Studio397 in this case and Studio397 they just don't answer questions, no matter what the topic. If you write something in the forum, then you are immediately made a fool of because it looks like people here are happy to pay more and they don't care about crappy pricing?

15. elgagon

elgagon Registered

I'm wrong then...

16. trichens

trichens Registered

TBH this is all getting a bit silly.
    I don't do iRacing because it's too expensive FOR ME... but I don't waste my time posting about that on the iRacing forums.
    It's very simple... Steam ( like any retailer ) shows the price of "stuff" and you either pay it or you don't.
    Deals come and go, and l decide when the price, and the timing, is right for me to make a purchase.

I have rF2, AMS2, Dirt Rally 2, RRE, ACC and AC.
    Oh and I have tried iRacing. Didn't really enjoy it and certainly can't afford it... so it's a "no buy" for me.

17. 8bar

8bar Registered

That's also such a "useful" statement: "I don't drive iRacing because it's too expensive for me... but I don't waste my time writing about it in the iRacing forums."

The difference is: I drive rFactor2 and then I'm allowed to comment if something upsets me, or am I not?

Are you really going to claim that it's Steam's fault, that Steam is responsible for the short-term price changes?

18. trichens

trichens Registered

The trouble with online forums like this is that it's impossible to get any natural "conversation" and "inflection".
    What I'm saying is simply if I don't lke the price of something - anything - I don't buy it.

19. 8bar

8bar Registered

I would like to end this discussion here.
    I no longer feel like documenting the sometimes really nonsensical answers or comparisons with Coca Cola or anything like that.

Don't get me wrong.
    rFactor2 is the best simulation on the market in terms of steering and driving physics, but they just can't do marketing.
    It's not the first time I've been annoyed by their pricing policy or short-term price changes and I'm definitely not the only one.

The question of why we have been told for years that we have to buy everything to take part in a racing series should be allowed.
    Just like why it takes years to create a reasonable UI.
    Why are long-term supporters disadvantaged, why aren't individual tracks or vehicles never reduced?
    And I don't mean a single Mini or a single test track.
    Why are prices changed at short term within a month, so that the previous purchases seem completely pointless?

For those who buy everything and don't care what it costs, this discussion may seem pointless, but for those who are a little more conscious with their money, a discussion like this should be allowed without being attacked personally, shouldn't it?
    I thought that's what forums were for.

What have I learned from this?
    If at all, the only good sale of Studio397 is at the very end of the year.
    Especially the Halloween sale makes no sense at all, there are only a few weeks between it and the winter sale and the prices are reduced again at the end of the year.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Wow, broken record much? Need explaining again? Won't bother, you'll just keep trotting it out.

Is that really like it? Really? Do you want to put shadows in there too? How about graphics performance? Are there any lines you won't cross?

Ahh, the long term supporters. Those unfortunate die-hards who are always left out in the cold. Just like those people lining up to buy the brand new iPhone, only for it to be cheaper months later. Hahaha... suckers! Apple doesn't care for you! It won't give you any discounts later! Disgraceful!

Seriously, have you ever bought anything in your life?

I'm cheap as. I'd say as cheap as they come, but I happen to know a couple of even cheaper people (maybe we gather in groups... I don't know). I'll research and debate and change my mind and half the time not even end up buying something that costs me 2 hours wages (people talk about "it's just a couple of coffees/beers" hahahaha... I'd never buy that stuff! I haven't bought lunch at work once in 20 years, apart from very occasional events... or recently when I lost power so it wasn't convenient to cook ahead).

And you know what? I can wait for the sales, I can set a target of 'half normal price', and still quite soon later I can see it cheaper again. This happens all the time.

People might respond to you because you're getting your knickers in a twist over a few extra dollars you could have avoided spending if you were psychic, for content to use in a game you use to pretend you're a racing driver, with your multi-hundred (or thousand) dollar PC, with your multi-hundred (or thousand) dollar hardware setup, while right now there are people dying in wars, suffering extreme poverty, etc etc. Now the world isn't a nice place and it's not reasonable to expect we should all curl up in a ball because others are less fortunate, but we should maybe also take a step back and think about how just how hard we really have it when we don't quite get something as cheap as we could have. And maybe we shouldn't try to single out one company for doing something so many do.

You call that being personally attacked? You gotta be kidding.

RNelson, pkelly and Full_Ninja like this.