Shadow diffusion?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Jorgen, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

What do the .gdb parameters ShadowMinDiffusion and ShadowMaxDiffusion do, and what are their units?

Snippet from MALAYSIAN_GP.GDB:
    Code:
    ShadowMinDiffusion=-0.6
    ShadowMaxDiffusion=0.2
    If anyone can shed some light on these, I would be very grateful.
    Thanks!

2. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Lot of stuff in GDB/SCN files don't work in rf2. It's a remnant of the rf1.

3. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

I know, but I doubt that these two parameters are from rF1 because Googling on them only yields three hits, and all lead to the rF2 section on this forum...

@ISI: Is there, or will there be a reference guide on GDB and SCN file parameters?

4. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Could anyone from ISI or the internal test team confirm or deny that these parameters are valid please?

Thanks.

5. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Shadow diffusion works in dev mode. I don't know if it will work in game or will it be controlled by engine.

You will find parameter named "Shadow diffusion" in HDR profile, but I'm not sure if it works.

There is another one though - in shadow settings, there's parameter called "Diffusion".

Setting it to 0.0 makes shadows work as expected - allowing ambient light to reach everywhere and directional light only to places that are visible in straight line from Sun.

Setting it to -1.0 or 1.0 will make shadows dissapear completely. I'd recommend keeping it at 0.0.

6. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Thanks K Szczech! I just noticed that the two parameters are not present in the Lime Rock Park, so maybe they just got moved into the HDR profile instead? Lime Rock Park has ShadowDiffusion set to -0.2000, whatever that means. I'll try 0 instead, and see if it makes any difference.

Where is this shadow setting located?

7. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

These settings are available only in dev mode. Unless there is something I don't know.

8. vicent-sollana

vicent-sollana Registered

Thanks K Szczech for the note on the shadows,:)

In dev mode, in toogle gfx weather settings.

View attachment 6436

P.S: feels3 you are so fast,:)

9. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Thanks guys. I rarely use dev mode, so that's why I never noticed them. I wonder where those options are supposed to go in a packaged track though?

Side note: I'd love to see a more blurred shadow, because no tree shadow looks like as crisp as in the screenshot, not even if the tree was lying on the ground, lol. Ideally the shadow would become more and more blurred the further away from the caster it falls. Let's hope ISI gets to that eventually.

10. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Does anyone know if it's possible to blur the object shadows a bit? They are so crisp that it almost makes driving hard as it flickers so much when the shadows redraw...

After testing various values on ShadowDiffusion in the HDR profile, I came to the conclusion that this parameter seems to have no effect at all. I wonder if it's obsolete, or "for the future"?

11. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

See my post above. The one in HDR profile doesn't seem to do anything at the moment.

As for blurring shadows - no. it's not that simple. It may be simpler to implement in engines using deferred shading.
    In engines with more classical approach to rendering, like rF2, blurring shadows is a bit complicated.
    It's not implemented in rF2, so there's nothing you can do.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013