several questions related to moving objects and LOD

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SPASKIS, May 11, 2013.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Hi everybody! I am trying to finish "Las Tres Millas" track but I am having trouble with these topics:
    - Could any body explain me why an object would disappear even with a LOD of 10000 and originally exported with "always render" property from BTB. It should be simple but I don't know what else to do.

- Could somebody help me with moving objects? I would like to make the wind generators turn, the flags move and the cornerworkers move but no idea of how to maintain flags and cornerworkers original properties and how to create a new simple rotating object (no geometry change)

Thanks for any help...

2. vicent-sollana

vicent-sollana Registered

Wich lod do you refear to? in max for the object or in the .scn?

For the flags i think is a animation of textures wich create the flag deformation.

For the cornerworkers I'm going to quote you an explanation from tuttle that i think is very clear:

Cheers.

3. Bink

Bink Registered

If I remember correctly (my first script created this)... this is a seamless loop-morphed 3D animated flag... max file, a texture, and readme. View attachment 7636

You can use any texture you want, though, as long as rF2 agrees with it. The vertices are what end up being animated in rF2.
    ... what shader you use is probably important so that flag's movement will shade itself.

[edit: to make it animate 'seamlessly' in Max, the frame span settings are DIFFERENT than the ones you need to set prior to rF2 export.. so it will be seamless in rF2... See the Readme file for the settings.]

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2013
  4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Max for the object. I don't know what is the lod of the scn.

I have checdked at mid ohio and I would swear that flag movement is not just texture deformation. I actually see the sahape changing.

I will look more thoroughly to the animation post since I have no clue about it.

5. ethone

ethone Registered

Yes, the flags are actually animated at Sebring and Mid-Ohio. MonSum on our team managed to pull that one off. Myself I did not even manage to get a simple box to rotate using the animation system.

6. Bink

Bink Registered

Hola, Wie gehts, etc...

Only 1 thing I could NOT find by reading the rF2 technology pdf, and searching rFactor2 animation ... (above, and google):

You can do everything right in Max... and while exporting to rF2.... BUT.. if there was a drivable or collision object at the rF2 import point (which must be the origin 0x, 0y, 0z), it will not work.

[Origin must be 1st import point, then you can move it.... at least with bones based animation.]

Usually, people have something drivable at the 0,0,0 because with no aiw file, the origin 0,0,0 is where cars "land".

This wrecked the animation import, as the animation 'collided' / intersected with the road there. So by the time you moved it... well, it looked like your countryman, Dali had been playing with it.

That's about all that wasn't already documented elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2013