Setting up max 12

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by boblug, Nov 12, 2012.

1. boblug

boblug Registered

Trying to st up max 2012 but material editor is quite different from older versions.

The view in material editor is different with the typical "standard" now missing and templates with "arch and design" in its place.

The standard view does not show the gmotormaterial unless the incompatible dropdown is shown.
    Anyway when try to load a gmat I get the following error

MSG 0.0 error: Material "01 - Default ( gMat )" not supported by the translator. Will render black.
    MSG 0.0 error: Texture map "Map #18 ( gTex )" is not supported by mental ray and will not render.
    MSG 0.0 error: Material "01 - Default ( gMat )" not supported by the translator. Will render black.

Do I have the wrong version?

BTW this is running in 32 bit mode

2. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Max 2012 Slate Material editor do not work with rF2. You can switch to "old" material editor, which will work correctly.

Cheers!

3. boblug

boblug Registered

Sorry to be simple but is there a switch somewhere. This problem occurs by selecting simple material editor.

The simple material editor also defaults to mental ray stuff with "Arch & Design showing instead of standard.
    View attachment 4673

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2012
  4. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

I don't think that matters, your screenshot looks ok to me. Just delete all existing materials and create new sub/multi material (click Arch & Design button => select sub/multi) and start building gMotor materials under it.

Cheers!

5. ethone

ethone Registered

You're using "3ds max design", not "3ds max". I'm not sure if that matters or not, but perhaps the rendering is slightly different, or 3ds max design doesn't load custom hardware shaders.
    Have you tried just setting up a simple box with textures and exporting it? If that works you could just ignore those errors about the rendering.

6. boblug

boblug Registered

Thanks both for feedback. I think you might be right about max design, I will talk with our IT guy.
    @jka the error does not allow any action as the gmaterial is not available to select

7. boblug

boblug Registered

ethone you were correct, the design version is the culprit. We have both versions here so they removed design and added regular flavor and all is well. thanks for tip