set transparency to "simple" into 3dsmax

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by sergioloro, Jul 1, 2012.

1. sergioloro

sergioloro Registered

hi all!!
    i have another question!!
    i want to set the transparency to "simple" into 3dsmax but i cant or dont know how to do it.
    i can set the transparency to "multiple", i build the trees with the method of 2 materials, one with multiple transparency and other to simple transparency, but since i cant set into 3dmax i have to do it with 3dsimed but it takes time and i had to fix when re-export a object.
    any help on this is very welcome!!
    thanks

sergio loro

2. ethone

ethone Registered

I'm not sure what exactly 3dsimed did when you set it to simple transparency but I guess that would have been chroma color key transparency.
    To do that, go into the texture stage of your material. Under Texture Properties at the very bottom check the tickbox before "Chroma Color" and select the color from your texture that should not be displayed. Set Chroma Blend Pixels to what works best with your texture, 0 is good for textures with sharp edges, higher values can be good for textures with more imprecisely defined borders like trees.

The more advanced ("multiple"?) transparency is alpha blending which is what you can control with the dropdown boxes you drew the circle around. You'll want to chose Source Blend: Src Alpha and Dest Blend: Inv Src Alpha (or vice versa depending on how you set up the alpha channel of your texture) to achieve alpha blending with your textures.

3. sergioloro

sergioloro Registered

thanks ethone!!!

4. mianiak

mianiak Registered