Set Transparency AA="0" for better performance in rain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MaBo974, May 22, 2013.

1. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Wish I could say I only did it once, sigh!

2. Bart S

Bart S Member

Ok Id just like to say what spinelli said is not true nvidia wise, I also actually thought the same but after trial and error is not true, for me levels available in game di not match nvcp also after trial an error running only nvcp as AA my results where further different. BTW it is always better to run AA within the game, it is always the fastest solution forget your control panels be they CCC or NVCP, the fact is the game knows better what to render at your chosen level in game but your control panel will just render the whole screen by your settings. Trust me game manufactures know best after all they want you to enjoy there game to the full in the best quality. The CP option is only there for backup support if the game doesnt support it, I hope this clarifies things for many. Same goes for Ano filtering etc. Always set your settings within game first, if the option is not available only then overide in your CP.
    Following queries about levels 3 being better than level 4 etc this can be true it depends mainly on the game, consider the q as quick render where sometimes the results are not as clear as a normal render, in sim racing it is always better to choose the normal mode (non quick) as your head up view typically remains the same, the q type render is only good for fast refresh and a constantly changing yaw such as in first person shooters. This does not apply to sim racing, your yaw rate changes at a much slower rate, hence you demand more quality per render not a faster render but yes depending on your FPS you could slew both ways. If you stick to around 60 FPS always choose normal, if your over 80+ FPS go for Q but I still get better results at normal.

3. Bart S

Bart S Member

In rFactor forget any of you CSAA renders they are slow and total crap, rFactor 2 does not support CSAA and it will make things loads slower with higher probability of crash and lag, stick with level 4 tops for best quality altho on my GTX680 I choose level 1 for a nice balance with my 3D, I get approx 70fps on ISI tracks, also have 2 x SSAA enabled.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

RFactor engined games are some, probably the only, game where I get the best results from doing the AA from the control panel instead of in game. So just disable it in game and set it from the control panel.

It's like this in RFactor 1, GT legends, gtr, race 07 series, game stock car, simraceway, RFactor 2, etc etc.

Believe it or not, I'd even get better frames from the equivalent control panel AA setting, which is usually the opposite of how it's supposed to work.

5. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Just checked my AA levels - In Catalyst I've got 2x, 2xEQ, 4x, 4xEQ, 8x, 8xEQ - yet in rF2 (and rF & GCS) I have 8 levels.

I get the impression there is a performance hit by forcing AA from Catalyst rather than using in-game, but I will need to test this further. AA looks better when forced through CCC but seems to run better using in-game.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I like high fps for racing simulators

I seriously don't really care about how good trees look etc

I run with AA set to off/0

A few jaggies are a small price to pay

I try & keep 100+ fps in most cases ( max cap at 122 )

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

We all like and want high FPS.

But some of us like to see where we are going, and if you have an AMD card and you're not using Supersampling, the kaliedoscope of moving jaggies and patterns and moire is pretty distracting. Distracting enough that it destroys the immersion and ability to control your car properly--exactly the way low FPS does.

8. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I can live with a few jaggies, but with an AMD card it's more than just a few. The game looks like a horrible mess with no AA.

Also depends on screen res - higher than 1080p should look much better with no/low AA.

9. Mulero

Mulero Registered

In Build 218, even at 1080p and Super-Sampling x8 the game looks bad.