Set Transparency AA="0" for better performance in rain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MaBo974, May 22, 2013.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

with Build 218 Level 3 (in game) is just fine for me (HD7850), I'd always use Level 4 before and it was jaggy but for some reason 3 seems simply better :confused:

2. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I'll give that a look next time I'm on. It would be nice to know what type of AA these levels are applying but I guess we will never know.

I've recently switched from a 7850 to a 7950 and noticed similar results with both cards so I guess the problem lies with AMD and/or ISI.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The level is whatever it is in your driver.

For example in your AMD or Nvidia driver you have the list
    2xaa
    2xaa eq
    4xaa
    4xaa eq
    8xaa
    8xaa eq

etc etc.

Then the game will read Level 1 as the first level in your driver control panel list, in this case 2xaa, level 4 in this case would be 4xaa eq, level 5 being 8xaa, etc etc.

Its kind of weird, because it uses the list from your driver control panel, however, your driver control panel is not actually doing the AA (if set to application controlled), but rather the game is. So the game uses the control panel list to determine what each level is, but the game is still applying its own aa.

4. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

In control panel I have 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x + Adaptive and Supersample settings for all those levels, which would mean like 12 different levels of AA, and in RF2 settings I have only AA Level 1, 2 and 3. I have no idea what those RF levels are equals to..

5. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I have levels 1-8 which I think is two more than what is available in catalyst.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

What video card? AMD? If its AMD it shouldnt say supersampling etc in that list, that should be in a different list underneath

Really? Weird, RFactor 1, 2 and all RFactor based games have always matched up perfectly, and changed accordingly when I changed video cards with different AA level amounts listed.

7. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I have AA level 1-8 in rF2, too.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Then u prob have 8 levels in your control panel. Probably 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, and an eq version of each

9. MJP

MJP Registered

Settings seem to vary somewhat, in game I too have AA levels 1-8, whereas in NVCP I only have 7 levels, 2x, 4x, 8x CSAA, 8x, 16x CSAA, 16xQ CSAA and 32x CSAA.

From a little testing fps/vram usage/looks wise, in game levels 2/4/8 seem to closely follow 2x/4x/8x settings in NVCP. I haven't played around with the CSAA settings yet.

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Here are fraps benchmarks for 60 seconds of a replay behind 15 AI at portugal for all 8 AA levels and the results:

Min/Max/Avg fps

[​IMG]

After viewing all the screenshots (below) i think level 4 and 5 has the best to offer in terms visual enhancement and performance.

Framerates

[​IMG]

Towards the end of the benchmark, you can see levels 6-8 start to fall back in performance more dramatically.

Latency

[​IMG]

Not much to say about frame latency differences between AA levels other than variances between level 0 and 8 can be as much as an additional 1.5ms more in areas.

Screen-shots at various AA levels

Level 0
    [​IMG]

Level 1
    [​IMG]

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Level 2
    [​IMG]

Level 3
    [​IMG]

Level 4
    [​IMG]

Level 5
    [​IMG]

Level 6
    [​IMG]

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Level 7
    [​IMG]

Level 8
    [​IMG]

13. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Very good report DrR1pper!, thanks a lot! :)

According your profile you also have a GTX670 2GB like me. The weird thing is I cannot choose AA level 1 to 3 with rF2. When I chose one of them, entering the game and I can see it fallback to Level 0. Only Level 4 and up, set in the Configuration before launching rF2 stay in game. That's with last WHQL drivers, and it's like this as far as I can remember (from build 68 until now)...

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Interesting....oh well, at least you can run level 4 which not only looks identical to level 3 but also performs a little better. :)

I don't even know how there are 8 levels of ingame AA when there are only 7 levels of AA in the nvidia control panel (2x, 4x, 8x CSAA, 8x, 16x CSAA, 16xQ CSAA, 32x CSAA........so level 4 is "8x" ?)

15. LowRider

LowRider Registered

This is not the first time that we ask for the funktion of this AA levels in rf. IMO its time that someone of ISI staff answers. In my own tests 3 AA levels are close to my Nvidia settings, but not exact the same. The other 5 levels didn't match any of my Nvidia options.

16. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Yes, I'm quite happy with Level 4 and don't feel the need to change this setting, so that's fine for now.

BTW, by making new tests due to this thread I also noticed another weird thing: In rF2 Setup screen, the 4 first entries for the Antialiasing mode are in French, my OS language, and other ones are in English:

View attachment 8029

And yes LowRider, it will be great if devs explain a bit how does those match with the Nvidia or Catalyst options...

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

what the.....lol.

18. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Perhaps it's the same for you, but as your OS is in English, you cannot notice it ;)

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol, perhaps.

20. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Don't you just hate it when you click on a 'close window' button on someones screenshot :)