Seeing if this could run rfactor?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Dhm8484, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Dhm8484

Dhm8484 Registered

Hello, was looking for opinions on a computer I was looking at to see if it could run rfactor okay. Here's the hardware list:

Intel i5-3470 3.20 ghz 6mb
    8 gb of memory
    Nvidia geforce gt620 2 gb video or the gtx550ti 1 gb
    1tb 32mb 7200rpm hard drive
    Running the crossfirex msi 277a-g41 intel 277 chipset

Was just looking for some opinions haven't bought a pc in a longtime, so many options. Thanks

2. Dhm8484

Dhm8484 Registered

Anyone?

3. Uff

Uff Registered

If you're talking about the first rF you should have no problems. I would go for a better graphic card, though. Look for a GTX 560 Ti 448 cores and let alone the GT620.
    rF2 should run well too, even if you might have to lower your graphic settings (especially with those 2 graphic cards you mention).

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

If you plan on using a single screen then what you have listed will work fine for the most part. You might have to tweak the graphics settings a little in rF2 in order to get smooth frame rates though. If you are planning on using triple monitors, then look for graphics cards that have at least 2Gb of ram on them, you can get ones that have up to 4Gb currently. They are not cheap, but they do the job well.

5. Dhm8484

Dhm8484 Registered

Yea I'm only going to use single screen, not going to get into it to much, the reason I sai those two cards was it came with the gt620 and to upgrade to the gtx 550 was only 43 bucks more, I think the gtx 560 is 80 some more than the 620. You recommend to spend a little more and get the 560? Not trying to spend a lot just want one tha runs well. Thanks

6. Dhm8484

Dhm8484 Registered

Oh yea it's from cyber power

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

If you don't already have the system, and the upgrade is cheap, then I would recommend getting the most you can afford to get. That way you won't have to upgrade quite as soon as you would with the lower card.

8. Dhm8484

Dhm8484 Registered

okay i will get the best graphics card i can get, but everything else should be ok that i listed right?

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Yes, the rest of the system looks fine, though there is no mention of the OS. With 8Gb of RAM, make sure you get or use a 64bit version of windows. If you play older games that don't really like Vista or Windows 7, then get the Pro or Ultimate version of Windows 7 as you can download an XP virtual environment that you can't get in any version lower than Pro.

If you wish to speed up booting or general system tasks, then getting an SSD drive to load Windows on will show some decent performance increase, but keep in mind that SSD's are not the best for installing games to as the additional reads and writes will shorten the life of the drive and probably won't speed up the game that much anyways.

10. Uff

Uff Registered

If you can, I would suggest to have a look around and build the PC by yourself: you would probably save some money, so that you can spend it on better components.
    GT620 really is a bad card: this is the very first benchmark I found having a look on Google. It shows how bad that card is: it's one of those products that are put inside a PC just to say "it has a graphic card", but you won't really be able to run any modern game with that hardware.

11. Dhm8484

Dhm8484 Registered

Think im going to go with the gtx560 for my card that's what money will allow. Have any advice on what kind of wheel to buy that isn't an arm and leg to buy? Was looking at the Logitech Driving force gt wheel. Basically want the best bang for the buck.

12. Uff

Uff Registered

It probably is the best choice for that price. I would go for it, yes. :)
    As for the graphic card... have a look if you can find the 448 cores version of the GTX 560: it will give you a little boost in performances over the standard version. ;)

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Might not be a bad idea to have a look at Leo Bodnar's site and get the USB cable for the pedals. This will enhance the precision of the pedals making them a bit better.