Road looks bland in RF2 compared to RF1

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mike Cantwell, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Hi guys,

I am working on Lakeside and QLD Raceway. Still learning about the new way of doing tracks here.

I am using the same textures and shader, Bump Specular Map T1, the same as when i did the track in RF1. I was hoping that it would look the same but does not.

The track section is named Track01. I am not using real road as the moment. Is there a reason why it looks this way using the same settings and textures I used before?

View attachment 5867

2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Well, first of all the better choice is using the realroad shader, but I guess you're just making some tests...:)

Of course there are some new feature you've to consider in your comparison; The light system is different, and now the specular map is controlled by the fresnel section, where you've to set up a min/max values and a exponential factor. More high is the exponential factor more flood/diffusion effect you get. Usually for road is good to use a small exponential value to get more focus in the specular range, getting some good spotty light above the asphalt.

So, you need to setup the specular color, the specular power, and the fresnel min/max and exp factor in your material.

Of course when you make your comparisons, be sure the sun is the same position for both screenshots, as the sun angle/pitch does affect the specular you'll see.

3. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

OK. Sorry to sound a bit dumb. Where is this fresnel section found? I am suffering from lack of knowledge here. Sorry to such a noob!!

Can you screen shot me maybe?

Apart from that, I am happy how the tracks are working. Thank you for any help. :)

4. Tuttle

5. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

OK. That is greyed out in mine. I am using 3D max 2009. Is there a reson that would be so? Also my version is 2.52h where I see yours is 2.52m.

6. Tuttle

Hmmm...I think you're using a pretty old max plugin.

If you have the latest build installed you've just to get your new plugin here:

..\Documents\rFactor2\Support\Tools\Plugin

7. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Got the new one, 2.52L and it is now working. See how the export goes :)