Road is rough in RF2, smooth in RF1

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mike Cantwell, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Hi guys. Just did a lot on Lakeside today. I am doing a rebuild of the track for RF1 and then will further upgrade to RF2.

I have got in running great in the dev mode, but the track seems to have some chatty bumps which are not there in RF1. A little stumped.

Here is a pick of the mesh. I am sure I have missed something simple.....

View attachment 9713

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Different road noise parameters? :)

There is a specific paragraph about this in the track technology documentation stating the values have been changed.

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Quadrifying road mesh might help.

Cheers!

4. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

5. vicent-sollana

vicent-sollana Registered

6. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

The problem is not the triangles, when export to GMT the plugin creates a Triangle mesh.
    In 3ds MAX is better work with quads for better mesh manipulation.

If the TDF file is updated to rf2 parameters, like wgeuze said, the problem is the Poly resolution.
    I see five points in a track section ( tack width), should have at least 7 or 8.
    Also check if track objects are snap.

7. Radar

Radar Registered

Agree with Mario, my tracks are 8 wide for starters, it's pretty much the minimum you should have for rF2 (un-written rule) for many reasons, one being much much better RealRoad.

As for chatter, I'm not getting this myself, so as Mario pointed out, it could be the objects not being snapped together.

8. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Thanks for the reply.......shudder to ask.....can you please explain what you mean by snapped together? The TDF file is correct for RF2......

9. Radar

Radar Registered

Snap together in 3Ds Max.. Easy to explain over the phone, Teamspeak than to type it but hear goes... :)

Basically it's joining two vertices together regardless of them actually being in the same object. I'll try to find a video and post the link, if not I'm happy to discuss when I'm at home through TS (I can give you my TS details if you so wish)..

10. Radar

Radar Registered

Still looking for a video.. I know Mario had one for joining two sections of road ie Pit Lane to the Race Track. You could look at this video which will help you to snap the two vertices to the same point (won't join them together, just to the same x, y, z coordinance).

11. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

I guess the road is cut into various objects. At the junction points of the objects must match. Some points may not be exactly matched and in rf1 you is ok but in rf2 can feel that.

To snap points in 3dsmax can use "Snap to Vertex" and move points one by one. Or can use my tool "pointTools" that have the function "MoveToPoints" and can snap all points.

12. mkilner

mkilner Registered

@Mike, take a good look at ISI's Joesville Track Example for rF2, its got a lot more Quads in the track to smooth the chatter, think you might have to remesh the track and kirbs using quads, love that track! :)

13. Kev

Kev Registered

First of all, when you convert track from rF1 to rF2, you should go to TDF and lower all virtual bumps amplitudes by 10 times (yes, from 0.01 to 0.001 etc...) because rF2 uses different algorithm of generation these bumps.
    After that track should become OK. Only on pretty sharp elevation changes you will feel too low poly of track surface (regular hard bumps) - there you should increase polycount (with smoothing of course). But from the screenshot it seems there should not be big issue with polycount.