rFactor3 on Windows 8/9 128Bit?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mitt Wilson, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Can we expect to see RF3 in 128bit for the release of Windows 9 mainly? Reason Im asking is Im prepping my PC for the future since we are within 1 year of 128bit Art. builds.. Any hints? :confused:
    (I can feel a comment coming from Tim lolol)

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

1. Why do you need 128bit app?
    2. For how long we have 64bit OSes and how many mainstream apps we have written for 64bit code?

3. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Have you not heard the news? R Factor 3 will be implanted within the ECU of your actual car. When you boot up hydraulic actuators will lift the car a few mm from the ground allowing the most realistic ffb imaginable.

Seriously though don't clutter the forum with silly useless posts. This is a special game in a beta phase and the Devs don't need there time taken up with things like this.

4. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

What part is silly? I asked a good question pretaining to rfactor and ISI.. was your response something that just clicked in your mouth.. Please don't post silly little comments onto a Thread that has an Actual Question for ISI and the Future of Rfactor. My question is one that is right around the corner as far as Technical aspect, I asked simply so I'm not running out in the future buying a x64 Motherboard when I will need a 128Bit Windows 8/9 OS with a 128bit Motherboard.

5. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

April 25, 2005- Windows XP X64 was when the first X64 Platform was released, roughly 7 years ago. I can expect alot of x64 Apps will br turning to 128 very soon.
    128bit has a massive performance upgrade aspect to the X64 platform.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012
  6. CraigT

CraigT Registered

Would you mind if we get this one sorted first? You people are amazing!! Do you post this just to drive up your post count or what?

7. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

I care less of a post count.

8. Mulero

Mulero Registered

And while we're......

will continue using DX9? Or we will end DX10

Because i suppose to use DX11 to RF4 nothing.

9. ORA-Quasi

ORA-Quasi Registered

You're kidding, right?

As already posed, do you mind if RF2 gets sorted and ISI gets on with the job at hand, before you start asking about something that is years into the future?

10. Novis

Novis Registered

I would not sit and wait for a 128-bit system. It will not happen for many years to come. Where did you hear something like that?

No it hasn't. With every step increasing the processor width the performance gain will be smaller than with the step before. Just look at the gain when moving from 32-bit to 64-bit architeture. It's usally under 10% if any gain at all. That is why you see so few 64-bit apps even today.

The move to 64-bit was mainly to solve the need to address more data and today there is no reason to go beyond 64-bit. The only need I can see for a 128-bit processors in the future would maybe be when CPU/GPGPU units are fused together properly and massive GP SIMD-processors are born.

11. Gary Corby

Gary Corby Registered

Purely out of morbid curiousity, I'd be fascinated to know if you can explain what a 128 bit OS actually means. Particularly with regard to the maximum address space of each process, as compared to the total capacity of all memory sticks currently available on the entire planet.

If you take the second number as a ratio of the first, this will give you the approximate probability that Windows 9 will be 128 bit.

12. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I sure would hope ISI is not thinking about a rF3 at the moment.

13. coops

coops Banned

we haven't even got 64 bit let alone worried about 128 bit...... and yes i hope there not worried about rf3 yet too

14. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

I hope they are thinking of RF3 cause all they did with rf2 was release a Sim with extra eye candy and ffb changes on a DX9 X32 platform from 7 years ago--so in 2019 we will be able to play RF on x64..... Just saying I love RF2 just saying though...
    Guys don't be afraid to speak about the future when it comes to ISI and or rFactor it keeps them motivated an keeps the promise of a Great Sim going for years, So don't get all hurt when somebody post something like this even it is a few years off....

15. ORA-Quasi

ORA-Quasi Registered

No, what keeps them motivated is enjoyment of what they do in their daily job, the constructive feedback, and positive comments about the years of work already put in resulting in our enjoyment of sim racing.

I fail to see how inane posts about the supposed next version and ignorance toward what they are trying to get right in 2012 could possibly inspire and motivate ISI.

16. Novis

Novis Registered

You know there are ignore buttons so the number of answer you will get will steadily decrease by each post you make.

*Ignore*

17. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

At this point it appears there are alot of Closed minded people. Please *Ignore* me and Enjoy RF2, And I will continue to have the balls to ask questions about something I think has the possibility to become Epic and move forward instead of stalling at mediocre.

18. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Why would you start drawing up prints for your second house when the plans of your first house aren't finalized yet?

All I'm saying is that there is stuff to do now as in rF2 so there is no need to worry about the next project when this one isn't even close to being finished.

19. vyrush

vyrush Registered

Seriously this thread cant for real right??

20. Blaktop

Blaktop Registered

Considering it was 6 years between RF1 and RF2 any system you design and build now will be obsolete well before RF3 is up and running given the same timetable. Should ready about the time Windows 9 is ready and they'll both run on hardware that hasn't even been designed yet....lol.