rfactor2 reactivate bug.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Suk Man Lee, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Suk Man Lee

Suk Man Lee Registered

A few days before the problem with the question.

But, it gave way, it would have been impossible.

So email me your order number? We have sent (purchase@rfactor.net )

Help us to give you the activation.

I think When the computer after changing all

I will not re-activate my license.

By reinstalling Windows is also true.

Will have the necessary modification of the launcher

2. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

I have the same problem this week. Changed my motherboard, everything else exactly the same. Basically went from G31 chipset to G41 so much the same. All hardware drivers all reinstalled. Windows back on track and running great :)

Then reinstalled rfactor and replaced all roaming files, credentials like. Still the grey launcher.

Yep yep, even after reactivation, its still all greyed out. But my dedicated server still works !?! Hmmmm

3. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Always good to start out with a new fresh install of your OS so you dont have any conflicts as you seem to have. You change any hardware in your box do the new install.

4. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Thanks RC.

Just done a fresh install prior to mobo swap :mad: If all else fails I will have to resort to it. Cant understand why dedicated still works. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2012
  5. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Ah ha, its working now, sweet. Reactivation did work in the end. For some reason there was a delay and it didnt activate instantly, 1 hr later and now its good to go, strange lol :)

6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Changing hardware in your computer has a higher chance of messing up the OS if the hardware you are changing is the motherboard. The reason for this is your Windows has already gone through a detection process and assigned specific resources to specific hardware components. If you change the motherboard, some of those components will be different and thus need to be assigned resources properly. I can tell you for a fact that "Plug and Play" doesn't always work as intended.

For this reason it is always a good idea to start with a fresh install of an OS "AFTER" a major hardware swap. Not doing so will usually result in less than optimal performance and sometimes can be as bad as an OS that will bluescreen quite a bit more frequently.

7. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Totally agree with you GearJammer, but not all occasions.

Ive done this motherboard swap thing so many times now. With 4 machines in my house ive become quite complacent to doing it!

If you keep the install on Win7 with 1 drive, with no other drives connected at the time, then do the replacement board with the same/similar chipset and ICH, same graphics, its never a problem, not for me these days anyway. Now going from the nVidia to Intel with Win7 and you have loads of problems, normally OS wont even boot! Intel to Intel in a chipset range is easy.

Theres actually no issues with my swap, everything works superb, no driver conflicts or errors, audio good, all software works!!

It was my impatient brain with the activation, I even feel a retard saying I had a problem to start with hehehe :) I dont even use this machine to drive rFactor with, just the dedicated. :)

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah with w7 now mobo swap can be easy to get away with ......still nothing like fresh.

Fresh drives clears all caches and gives you a chance to do all tools drivers apps from latest versions.

OT:

I do fresh drives and images even after driver updates. hehehe
    306.97 whql I have just done zero-write / fresh SSD, OS and imaged it.

Why go to all that bother ?
    So I can restore my old image in 3 minutes if I do not like the new driver.
    Uninstalll , ( CCleaner whats that ? :p ) and reinstall driver takes longer besides
    how can I be 100% sure everything is fine and I won't have to restore my old image anyway ?

Another reason for re-install when you get the chance if you have a SSD with relatively heavy useage a Zero Block Write with Parted Magic is the only way to regain peak performance.
    A fresh partition and format won't ( can't) do anything and forget trim, indexing, swapfiles and rapid transfer.
    Excessive block write is the biggest performance killer of a SSD and the only tool can zero write is pmagic.

See, do a Fresh W7 on a 1-2 year old SSD with heavy use and you likely to notice your WEI has dropped.....I be surprised if it has not.

9. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Thanks man Im really looking forward to trying an SSD on my machines - wont be long now. Ive seen its alot quicker than a HD. Nice way to spruce up your old Core 2's and Core 2 Quads, hehe, thats all ive got.

10. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

It was meant to still work. This is so that you won't require an extra 'online account' to only host.

11. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Ah thats good to know. I did wonder why it worked, a good thing yes!! :)

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Dedicated server doesn't even require a purchase, I should hope it does work...

If you copied from a backup, did you make sure you didn't set the .rFactor2 directory as read only?

Microsoft really has come a long way if you can swop a motherboard on an OS install without a format... Wow. But the permissions to your .rFactor2 directory might not be right still because of it?

13. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

I was a little hasty Tim, but the reactivate 'did' work in the end.

Oh yes, got the mobo swap down to a fine art now, but always using Intel. Yesterday i swapped out an old Asus Commando to the Gigabyte G31 on Win XP for my media machine downstairs, after some initial drivers stalling on restart, a couple more boots and driver installs and its working great :)

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

That's pretty cool. Their crash recovery must be helping a bit with that. I've never tried, I have formatting down to a fine art myself. ;)

It may have been that you were trying to reactivate when the guys were messing with the server, stopping it going through... Last night they did find that the server had bad memory, so that's one issue fixed. ;)

15. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Whenever I have swapped a MOBO for a dissimilar one, Booting the windows disk and doing a Repair usually gets it going.

Wouldn't do it to my own machine unless Boards were almost the same tho.

16. scorpion83

scorpion83 Registered

Another way to easily swap motherboards is to boot to safe mode (only loads core drivers) on the first boot with the new board, go into device manager and remove all the old devices (chipset, audio, ICH, LAN and any other onboard devices) that are now redundant, reboot and let windows rebuild it's catalog on it's own. If the drivers for the new devices don't exist when windows starts then windows is forced to run the detection again. I usually have the new drivers ready (UN-archived in their own folders) on the HDD prior to the swap so I can just point to them when detection finds the new devices. DO NOT run any programs until all drivers are installed for the new board and all updates done to prevent issues. You may have to re-activate your windows doing this but that's not a big deal. Personally, I prefer the OS re-install but the above method will work. I always take an Acronis image of the freshly activated install prior to updating or installing anything just in case I need to recover and then another image of a completely updated OS with latest drivers but no software installed yet. Makes a re-do of the system a breeze and only takes minutes to recover back to that point instead of a day of installing/updating.

As for rF2 reactivation, I had no issues at all as I copied everything rF2 related from my old install HDD to the new systems SSD (after windows is installed) prior to installing rF2 and it automatically had all my credentials ready to go... I resorted to trying it this way as I could not find my email info on my initial purchase/activation and was in a bit of a panic thinking I would have to go through hoops to recover my account info. This could have just been luck or maybe because both system were Intel based ASUS boards. I went from a P5Q-Deluxe w/Intel E8500/sata drive to the Rampage IV Extreme w/i7-3960x/SSD so the mobo and HDD hardware was different. The only thing I kept from the old system was the new video card I had bought a couple of months earlier.