rFactor2 crashes on track load (982)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Guineapiggy, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

rFactor2 loads from the launcher, I can change settings, cars and tracks just fine but crashes to desktop without an error message the moment the track has finished loading. This only began after I upgraded to Windows 10 Professional.

The installation passes verification.

My system is as follows:
    Intel i5 4570 @ 3.2ghz
    8GB DDR3
    Nvidia Geforce 760 4GB w/ 355.60 drivers
    Windows 10 Profesional x64
    Saitek R440 force feedback wheel
    Asus Xonar DS sound

I've tried changing resolutions, tried changing cars and tracks. I have no plugins installed.

Edit - It seems the game only crashes when my wheel is plugged in. The wheel calibrates just fine and seems to work as it always has outside of RF2 as well as inside the calibration menus in game and in Windows. Reinstalling the latest drivers doesn't seem to help.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2015
  2. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Update - I've tried reinstalling (including a clean install with no mods and reactivation), reassigning the controller and the likes. No joy. It's probably worth mentioning that I did iupdate RF2 after upgrading to W10 but before playing so it might be either that caused the issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
  3. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Update 2 - After I disabled my SCP service (DS3 360 wrapper) it stopped detecting the wheel as a 360 controller (despite the fact nothing was plugged in) but still crashes on track loading.

I love RF2 but good GOD this game can be frustrating...

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry, can't really offer anything. I did a semi-clean install of Win10 and have no issues, a lot of league members did an upgrade of their Win7/8 and have no issues. Does the wheel 'work' in the controls settings screen?

5. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

As previously mentioned, yes, it works in Windows calibration and RF2 control settings and calibration.

6. redapg

redapg Registered

Did you try with moving the player.JSON to e.g. the desktop, as Backup and start rF2 then and let it create a new one?
    Another helpful thing can be a trace file.

7. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Already tried a totally clean install/re-registration.
    Updating to 1008 hasn't helped, nor have new drivers or the constant Windows 10 x64 updates.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2015
  8. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

This might be the issue ...What happens when you use a default ISI car and Track?

9. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

I am using a default ISI track and car. That's from loading the Dallara DW12 @ Malaysia full loop, both of which are up to date. This happens at all tracks/with all cars.

10. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I'm not 100% sure and maybe that error is from something else... but it looks like it's trying to do something with Daytona track. Try uninstalling the Daytona track. That's all that stands out to me

11. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

It's not the track, I tried it with the game mod-free too.

12. redapg

redapg Registered

Did you try to run the Launcher "as Administrator" already?
    (right mouseclick on the Shortcut and select "Run as Administrator then")
    And if that don't changes something, please post a trace file where you use a default ISI track and car.

13. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Can I suggest to make a real clean install of rF2? Because the trace you posted isn't the trace of a real clean installation. For testing and finding a problem may I suggest to:
    - install a new instance of rF2 Lite, latest available build WITHOUT using your previous files like player.json, controller,json...
    - set the rFactor config for your usual resolution, etc...
    - use one of the ISI tracks, like Portugal 2.0 with one of the ISI mods like Corvette C6R
    - try the auto-detect option into the controller options and/or adjust and set it manually (without using your previous saved controller files)
    - try now to see if rF2 crashes

I would also point to Windows 10 for the graphic driver... I updated to Windows 10 from 8.1 one month ago and everything works nice, rFactor2 too, but I have a problem with the NVIDIA drivers, not about the driver themselves but about the way Windows 10 auto-updated them. So I suggest to install the latest available (I installed the 358.50) BUT I PERFORMED E VERY CLEAN INSTALLATION, otherwise it is useless.
    You could follow this post: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...14&msgId=dd1c4cd1-47a5-44d7-a138-7f22cd324886
    the one of Spooksym dated Oct 11th, that fixed my problem on Windows 10. As I said I haven't specific problem with rF2, but the advice can be useful.

14. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

As mentioned I've already done these things and driver updates didn't help either.

15. redapg

redapg Registered

You say you did, but why do you post a trace from something else then?

16. elbo

elbo Registered

Do you start RF2 in windowed mode or fullscreen.
    I have a similar crash but it occurs only in fullscreen mode. Windowed mode works.

17. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Resolution/windowed mode doesn't make a difference I'm afraid.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The trace shows loading the DW12 at Malaysia. The .scn file stuff is unlikely to affect it because it's a totally different track (the game has to see what cars and tracks it has on startup, so the log is just showing something it didn't like and probably ignored). The fact this seems to have coincided with Win10 suggests something is up there, but probably not some systemic issue with that controller and Win10 and rF2 - just something went wrong somewhere. If reinstalling (as clean as possible) basically all drivers doesn't fix it, I'd be considering a fresh windows install, even if just a temporary one on a new hidden partition. If that still doesn't work, time to find a new hobby :confused:

19. redapg

redapg Registered

Yes Lazza, i have seen that, my complaint was meant to the fact that the trace wasn't from a fresh install (which for me includes nothing than original stuff).
    And because the line with the:
    "WARNING: Unable to find track-specific gdb file for: E:\rFactor\2\Installed\Locations\Daytona_SCES\1.0\ DAYTONA ...."
    showed up, i suspected that i couldn't be a trace from a fresh installation.

20. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Look, I did it, either take my word or don't but this isn't constructive.