rFactor 2 WIP Screenshots

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shum94

shum94 Registered

One last and i'm done. I read this message to quickly earlier.

So you're telling me that you're loosing time explaining to me why it isnt polished because i didnt paid enough attention to the wip mark.

Sorry but maybe the choice of showing the wrong material is responsable for your time spent justifying why it is how it is.

Placeholder ? I didnt know that one, so it's like a crappy textures put there until it gets really done ? And a screen with a placeholder has been published ?

Wow not my conception of marketing.

2. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

shum94 I think you need to calm down a touch, ISI dont have to give us anything to look at but they do and I thank them for that. When a thread gets titled "WIP Screenshots" its not hard to realise that these screenshots will be different from the final product, a vast majority of game developers do this to generate interest for their product and/or just to give the Fans somewthing to look at. I think you need to be thankful of this and not waste time arguing about placeholders, maybe you should pop over to the 'Star Wars: The Old Republic' forums and moan at Bioware for doing the same thing?...nah thought not!
    Just relax, sit back and enjoy the free screenshots we are given.

4. shum94

shum94 Registered

Should i offer money for good screenshot ?

5. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Agreed. Whenever I go to a real race track I'm always struck by, for example, how vivid the striped curbs really are.
    And thanks for posting the screens. It was made clear that they don't necessarily represent your most current progress, much less the final look. I appreciate them all the same, feeling more "in the loop" with the development.

6. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Nice!
    That's something I'm really looking forward to (especially the latter)!
    Since I'm already pretty satisfied with the level of detail in the wip shots, stuff like this will make all those details rise and shine.
    I'll just sit back and wait for more updates. :)

7. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

Well, not you specifically, no. But yes, both Tim and I spent extra time commenting on peoples' reactions to those shots in an effort to help them understand what they were seeing wasn't final.

A "placeholder" texture is typically a low-res stand in that we use so that we can map the geometry and press on with work. It's not a good workflow to make a "final" texture on the first pass, because all the textures HAVE to work together. If you make final textures to start with there's a lot of rework involved as quite often they don't sit well next to each other after the first pass. So, you use temporary, or placeholder textures just to get a good feel of how everything is working. It's just a smarter way to work (going into game development 101 here :) ).

And again, we posted WIP progress shots because the community was asking for them--asking to see what we were doing. And again, we thought it would be cool to show you all another track that we're in the process of working on.

I'm sorry that you don't agree with or possibly understand the purpose of that philosophy. But I think the majority of people interested in rF2 just want to see that we're working on it. But, this very "conflict" is the reason a LOT of developers hold back on showing ANYTHING until it's all final. And again, maybe that's a lesson we should learn. But if we did, then no one would have seen the WIP rain effects that we've been working on. Those weren't final, or even CLOSE to final, but a lot of people were very interested in them.

To each is their own I guess.

Edit: Kind of odd though, as on the old facebook page you were one of the most outspoken people asking for screens and videos, etc. :) We can't show screens of final work when it's not final yet, so what do we do? Should we hold back and not show anything until it is final? Then we have people wondering why we're "not making any progress", or "is the game dead". etc? Again, we're just trying to be responsive to what the community is requesting, for better or worse... :)

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Whilst you're here Scott you mentioned Scripted Events for Planes and stuff, would it be possible therefore to create Lap or Time specific events? i.e. a Fly-By Event every 1 hour into an Endurace race for example.

I'm not a track maker myself, just curious as to how far this goes, coming from an Unreal Level making background I used to live off scripted events!!

9. Michael Juliano

It's certainly possible, yes. I would like to have event triggers for things like the start of a race, or 5 seconds before the formation lap begins--things like that. Other events might be one animation triggering another when it reaches its end, or loops a certain number of times. However, as it's not as critical to the initial rF2 release as, say, wet weather implementation, it has to get shuffled down the to-do list for now.

But yes, I think this is something that would open up another level of immersion in the sim's world... :)

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

cool thanks for that, yeah I'd much rather have wet weather than scripted events but its one of those little things that can help with immersion in the long run.
    I'm also thinking for the Movie Makers whether they would (one day) be able to create Scripted Races, or make league promotional videos just by utilising scripts with cars and a track.....hmmm...possibilities :D

11. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

That's nice! If not in v1.0, then maybe in some future patches :)

As for WIP shots... keep them coming from time to time, Scott!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2010
  12. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

What I would like to see are some Making Ofs

13. Michael Juliano

Sure, you'd get to see us sitting in front of our computers for hours a day. That's exciting :) :p

Edit: Actually, I kind of thought of something similar to go along with a track tutorial I've been thinking about...

14. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips Registered

I would offer money for a thesaurus and work out what exactly "Work In Progress" means.

Well done Scott on keeping calm in the face of this, honestly, what do people expect?

As Queen once sang " I want it all, and I want it now" - Sums up certain individuals very aptly I think.
    _________________________________________________________________________________

All looks very interesting to me and hope the "finished" product is as tasty as it appears it will be.

15. Michael Juliano

And, I think the time has come to close the thread before it begins to go awry.

Tim, I'd suggest starting a new WIP Images thread (when we're ready to show something again) that is locked to comments so it only contains the images. The community can start other threads to discuss what they see....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.