rFactor 2 WIP Screenshots

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeDios

DeDios Registered

looks really cool! nice screen ;)

2. Pashalis Gergis

Pashalis Gergis Registered

Fantastic shots .!!

3. xTr3me

xTr3me Registered

nice screens ;)
    which graphic settings did you use? everything on max?

4. Jeffrey Rietveld

Jeffrey Rietveld Registered

Looks really cool, can't wait to play it. Still planning to release the game in 2010 ?

5. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

I dont like the Grass Textures und the lightling is to "Yellow"

6. JuanDi Sanchez

JuanDi Sanchez Registered

Hi Tim. I'm a bit worried about the lighting/shadows you show here.
    No doubt, the shadows over the cars generated by themselves its a great great feature, but im a bit worried about the strength you are showing in all the previews untill date.

Since one of the most important things to make a game visually real, is to have a nice lighting/shadows system. That is one of the most crucial aspects. Our eyes and brain are very used to a real life lighting (obviously). That is... shines of materials, sharp shadows, accurate shadows according the light direction, high contrast between light and shadows, etc. This is why a good lighting (like GT5) system looks more real for us... or, like in another way... when we dont see a nice lighting system, our brain tell ourselves that there's something wrong...

As I said, the shadows over cars are a nice adition to fool our brains searching a real look, but there's something im worried about. If you dont make this shadows stronger enough... they will have no sense in the aim of rendering a real environment. Look at real sunny days, and you'll get the answer.

By the way, look how stronger shadows make a big diference: http://www.virtualr.net/f1-2010-tra... good work! Greetings, ISI! JuanDi Sanchez.

7. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Yeah, I think I've seen this in one of your videos on youtube along with new shaders for the sky and the road surface, and I gotta admit it looks really great mate!

To the WIP shots:
    I dunno, I somehow expected a little bit more. Don't get me wrong, the track's detailed (the Sepang one), animated marshals, track status lights...
    But, the lighting somehow seems to have not improved much compared to rFactor's old gMotor2 engine. I don't know, maybe I expect a little bit more shadow-wise, like real time shadows on track-side objects.
    Right now, the whole picture seems to be a little flat. Some objects throw a shadow, others don't.

I messed around a little in photoshop to show what I mean, have a look at the fences on the bottom right for example:

Original:
    [​IMG]

Edited version:
    [​IMG]

Greez Rob

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2010
  8. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I think they look fantastic! Hopefully other people (ISI included) will adopt a similar approach.

9. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Great improvement, Robert Gödicke!

And I would just like to thank Tim and everyone else at ISI for sharing these WIP pictures with us. They're obviously a little less impressive than we would have liked but I'm just thankful that they're finally pulling back the veil inch by inch.

Please keep 'em coming! :)

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It's actually pretty amazing how much of a difference there can be. Infineon Raceway in California is a great example as it's lush and green for 11 months and brown and nasty for about 1 each year. Amusingly that month always seems to coincide with when NASCAR races there...

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

12. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

This means we can expect Post FX in RF2 ? ;)

13. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Thanks for the pics. There're some nice stuff there. Looks very promising :)

14. Fred Joseph

Fred Joseph Registered

yes you should !! great work !!!

15. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

That has been (and still is) the plan all along, yes. We know post fx, like them or not, are a very important part of the look for a modern graphic engine...

16. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Tim, I think JuanDi Sanchez probably wants to point at the lack of shadow casting/receiving objects in the shots.
    For example, what I think is a very important point for a realistic lighting model is to have a consistent look when it comes to shadows. In the screen2.jpg, some objects cast a shadow (the main stand for example), while other objects don't seem to cast a shadow at all (fences, marshal boxes and so on). Besides that, the sides of objects which do not face towards the sun should be darker, that's what JuanDi Sanchez probably meant with "darker shadows". Have a look at my edited picture in Post #47, the fences are much darker for example.

Plus, a selfshadowing system would increase immersion a lot, especially in cockpit view when all parts of the cockpit cast a realistic shadow according correctly to the sun's position. Just like in iRacing for example.

In one of the previous rFactor 2 previews with the Formula Renault cars there was some kind of self-shadowing under the T-Cam for example, looky here: [​IMG]

Do you know if this feature will make it into the final version and if it will affect all objects the same way?

Greez Rob

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2010
  17. Edu

Edu Registered

Scott.... when are implemented Fx effects? Now are work in this?

18. GTR2fan

GTR2fan Registered

yeah, nice plane and nice job!

19. shum94

shum94 Registered

Hum the loading screen of Sepang would have done a better impression than latest previews.

No post Fx in the engine then lets wait it, no need to screen unfinished bizness.

PS : Q&A please

20. Aleksss

Aleksss Registered

great work guys! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.