rFactor 2 Telemetry Plugin

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jan 26, 2012.

1. C3PO

C3PO Registered

*Bump for reference*

2. Craig Hunter

Craig Hunter Registered

I've installed the files as instructed and see the plugin when leaving the pits. I get the tone when using "ctrl m" and another tone when stopping but don't find the Moted.ini file anywhere and don't see any logged files. I've checked out the RF2 folder in Documents and don't see anything there either. Actually I don't even see a controller.ini but, since I'm using Windows 8, it might be saving them someplace unusual or call them by another file name.

What am I doing wrong?

3. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Use the windows explorer search function in your rF2 directory and search for Motec.ini. I'm pretty sure its there -;)

Sent with Tapatalk

4. lemming77

lemming77 Registered

I'm not sure how related it is to rF2 stability. As my logs come out as LDTEMP files even if rF2 doesn't crash. It seems to sometimes be remedied temporarily by exiting the session and reconnecting, but this isn't 100% foolproof.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

With windows potentially intervening I couldn't say for sure where things will end up... but that's your first objective - find that MotecPlugin.ini :p

Hmm... well that's obviously not how it's supposed to be :)

I occasionally find it doesn't want to make the log file when I'm still in the session, so it makes it when I'm quitting the game instead. But it shouldn't really be doing that very often. Could you pm me your .ini?

6. lemming77

lemming77 Registered

Yeah, that's what struck me as odd. It's supposed to save LDTEMP files if it crashes, to preserve the data. But, rF2's not crashing, and it doesn't give me .LD files when I quit the session or rF2. So unless the plugin can crash within rF2, and rF2 just silently restarts it, I'm stumped. :p

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It actually always produces the LDTEMP file, because it can add data to it for as long as is necessary. Then when logging is finished, it converts the LDTEMP file into an LD file (the LD file format is such that you can't write it, then add data to it; so the temporary file is used as an alternative to keeping all logged data in memory and writing the LD when logging finishes).

The conversion to .LD should happen when you switch off logging in the car (if in-car logging is enabled), or when you exit to the monitor, or when you exit the game. So the question is why that isn't happening for you :)

8. Chad Dunbar

Chad Dunbar Registered

I'm kinda late to the party here, but thanks for bringing this over to rF2. Got it up and running the other night with no issues. It's good to have this data at hand when working on setup development.

9. Craig Hunter

Craig Hunter Registered

OK, I'm out of town and away from the game computer. Am I supposed to download a Motec program to go along with the plugin? Where do I find it?

I know, I'm dumb but I try hard.

10. lemming77

lemming77 Registered

Yeah, the plugin only saves data, you need another program to view it.

http://www.motec.com/software/latestreleases/

Scroll down to "data analysis" here, and download i2 Pro. That'll open the logs for viewing :)

11. Craig Hunter

Craig Hunter Registered

Thanks for the help. Got it installed and will get to work on finding files when I get back home.

12. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Hello, does anybody know if it's possible to increase the sample rate above 100hz for some channels? Thanks.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, rF2 only provides data at 100Hz. The log file itself can go higher, but you'd just be interpolating values which Motec can do itself, and either way it's not the same as proper higher frequency data.

14. Jamie Shorting

Thanks man.

15. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

I don´t know what happen. I´ve followed the installation steps and it mades me the ini file; but I don´t have any log file after go to track (with Active on startup = 1). And I press ctrl+M and I don´t hear any sound.

16. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Ok, it runs well, I don´t know how but I fixed it.

17. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Is the data rate the MotecPlugIn linked to the frame rate? Or is it independent meaning thus Motec will store data with 100 Hz frequency although when frame rate is lower (e.g. when limited to 60 Hz by vsync)?

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

In rF2 the telemetry data always comes through at 100Hz. I think that's one of the reasons the minimum CPU requirement is much higher than in rF1, which updated at 90Hz only if you had a framerate that high (which might indicate its internal physics were also updated less frequently with lower framerates). It's one of the reasons a telemetry plugin is actually more straightforward to make for rF2 than it was in rF1 :)

19. Jamie Shorting

I see slide% in motec but don't see slip%. Am I just missing it or that's not calculated? I know the formula for it but would rather motec did the math for me.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Not too sure what you mean, but if you know a formula just create a new maths channel for it. Then it will do the math for you.