rFactor 2 really does look like sh*t :(

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Harry Tulloch, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harry Tulloch

Harry Tulloch Registered

So i just downloaded the new Howston G4 and G6 and just testing it out at monza 1920x1080 everything set to max x16 anisotropic but it still looks like sh*t come on this is 2013 and this is the best u guy can make

makes me wonder why i even bother with ISI i still think rFactor 1/Game Stock Car runs better than rF2

trees are a mess, the colours are all other the place with the contrast and the sky doesnt look like a sky at all just a big blue patch
    and the cars wipers looks like something u see from GTA SA that has bad polycount

i really dont want to hate on ISI but its hard not to when i see stuff like this

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1232984_10152248179887785_258344600_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2013
  2. Minibull

Minibull Member

Oh yes...Monza...the 3rd party mod version...

Yes, tracks that have been converted and not setup correctly for rF2 do look terrible. That is not the games fault though, as I have just been driving the Howston around Palm Beach, Sebring, Mores and Longford, and it has looked bloody brilliant.

And for the sky, you actually have to set some weather for it to show...if you set it to clear skies...well, it gives you a perfect blue clear sky...:)

3. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

That Monza is a conversion, which means it was not originally designed to be used in rF2.

Trees look average / bad on all tracks (including those made by ISI) but it seems to me ISI is not working on trees at the moment. I have seen no progress on tree shaders since build 49, except for some transparency support. In the meantime self-shadowing of 3D trees was removed, so I'm guessing they have other plans, but no time to work on it at the moment.

By the way - you have posted in the wrong subforum. I've only looked at this thread because I thought some modder has a problem and needs help.

4. Hectari

Hectari Registered

5. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Oh, I already used my ultimate facepalm picture somewhere, so I need to find a better one. I'll be back ;)

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yeah a facepalm would definately do right now. Make sure it's real explicit with maximum facepalmness.

7. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

8. FONismo

FONismo Registered

You guys are being harsh, OP while was silly with title and the way they put it across, does actually have a valid point. The new colours look really weird too me aswell, on any track. The Howston models are indeed tbh unacceptable for a sim in 2013, shaders, textures, model, the lot. It looks like a conversion from an rF1 mod. It looked good maybe 4 years ago, but not today. I hope it's a one off and not a trend. I know Tim has said before they are old models. Maybe they should be left and new models done going forward. The cars themselves however are really good to drive and sound sensational, so it's a trade off i suppose.

9. baked bean

baked bean Registered

From what i gather these models where made quite some time ago but Tim lost contact with Lola so they where put on hold until now.

10. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I concur with this in its entirety.

The aesthetics of rF2 are very underwhelming, the performance is still not acceptable to me despite the recent optimisations.

11. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

The tonality, the way OP expressed his point of view, don't motivate any answer IMHO. The way you explained the same thing is totally different FONismo. I agree with the feeling, not with OP words and title, not really respectful regarding amount of work ISI made for years...

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Agreed. The OP has valid points expressed in the wrong manner, but still valid.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

If you're worried about Looks then RF2 is blatantly not for you, thats been obvious since day one, pCars is nice, try that, AC looks awesome and wont be too far away, try that when it's out.

In the meantime if you dont like how RF2 looks, well that's just tough luck for you :)

14. evphelps

evphelps Registered

Not enough criticism at all,really.
    I mean even the sound is just the megane with a bit of bass boost (these cars do not have turbo's!!!).
    They do drive nice though and clearly reveal evidence for a more realistic manual drive-train to come?

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

There's a difference from criticism to constructive feedback, but such "like it as is or leave it" comments are no better than plain criticism. One positive side of seeing frustrated people is that it actually shows people who care about the game, and there are a lot of people out there who really want rF2 to be at the pinnacle of racing titles. Saying "if you don't like it, go elsewhere" does nothing to help developers improve the game.

16. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Very well said. I think rF2 looks sub-standard but any criticism I make is always with good intentions i.e. I want the game to be a great all-round package.

I read comments along the lines of "if you don't like the graphics in rF2, go play Gran Turismo or Forza". Advocating that someone should play a 7 or 8 year old console in search of satisfying graphics is only admitting that rF2 isn't delivering in the visuals department. After all, we don't spend all the money we do on PCs to play with last-gen graphics.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

trouble is there's hundreds of threads already bemoaning the graphics, ISI know that and have already taken onboard everything, they will continue to improve the graphics (as they say) for the lifespan of RF2. Constantly moaning about it, good or bad, is pretty pointless as ISI will barely take notice. And where did I say "if you don't like it, go elsewhere" exactly? I was merely saying if you dont like RF2 because the graphics dont suit you then it is tough isn't, either deal with it and wait for the graphics to improve or move on to another game, your call.

18. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Ok, no more "return bonnet cam to the centre" threads from you then. :D

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

haha well in my defence that's a relatively simple "fix" as apposed to an overhaul of the graphcs engine :p

20. FONismo

FONismo Registered

The If it's not good looking enough for you then go play game a,b,c is getting long in the tooth now and a pretty ancient attitude. People are here because they want to race rF2. I just feel that this latest model would of been acceptable on initial release of the rF2 beta, it's no better or worse than the original content, but today i don't think it's enough.

I find it a bit disappointing really only due to the fact that for a long time rF2 suffered with the stigma of being an ugly game and over time i have seen less and less comments regarding visuals as ISI has began to up their game. The Camaro while not great in comparison to other sims, it was still very good for rF2. Same goes with Silverstone and Mores, they both look great.

These latest Howstons, i just feel like ISI have made strides in taking two steps forward and then these kind of feel like that step back. Tim himself agreed earlier. rF2 with the right setting and content IMO can hold it's own, dusk lighting i think of all the sims is best in rF2. It has alot going for it, but for me the sim is outweighed with stuff that doesn't look great. It needs better content .

That G6 though is so amazing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.