rFactor 2 - How do you drive yours?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ForthRight, Mar 1, 2014.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yikes, you really don't know what's cooking here, do you..? :eek:

2. Galaga

Galaga Banned

I race 100% offline because that way I can race what I want when I want. The only exception is the Route 666 hotlap competition with A13's LiveRacers server which is great because we are all battling it out asynchronously.

To me rfactor 2 is just an enabler for content and I don't even think about rF2 anymore. All I care about are combos. The Historix '67 911R IS rFactor 1 for me. Route 666 IS rFactor 2 for me.

The engine doesn't matter. Having said that, however the rF2 engine certainly helps a mod to be great. The 911R is the only rF1 cars that interests me but there are several rF2 cars that I love.

Thus, every good rally type track that is added to rF2 gives me several great new combos while every one added to rF1 only gives me a single combo.

So how I use rF2 is the same as how use rF1. And the most important thing for me is the driving. Working with the car thru a variety of uninterrupted and unique technical challenges. AI can be thought of as opponents, friends or just moving chicanes forcing different lines and limits.

On the subject of Nords, I recommend introspecting on why you don't like it. I searched for I thread where I asked the same question as you and got great feedback but I could not find it. What I ultimately did was spend an entire day lapping Nords until I began to learn it and then I ran at least 4 or 5 laps per day every day after that until I had it down. Like learning how to drive, Nords takes time and practice.

Now I rarely drive Nords now but when I do I drive the old ugly version because I like the bumps and I think one of Preclaire's versions had good bumps too. When I did drive Nords it was always with the Spark F1 and IMO there is no better way to drive it.

Funny how people love or hate Nords. I understand both, especially the haters for whom driving is not a priority. No reason to hate it though. Driving just isn't your priority and the is nothing wrong with that and it doesn't mean you are a bad driver it just means that you perfer to race over driving if that makes sense.

I prefer driving over racing even though I love to have both. This is why I love rally type courses that are technical but also have room for wheel to wheel action.

Anway, regarding those who love Nords but don't like rally I must laugh. How can you love Nords and not love rally? ;)

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I don't think its as black & white as you put it but you got a point. even in league races people tend to focus on their own driving as opposed to close racing others.
    Most of the times because the challenge alone to lap without accidents is more then enough on this track, let alone doing that with cars in close proximity. it seldom works out especially since overall pace-per-driver has such huge gabs.

I don't understand this one hehe. what has rally to do with the Ring?

4. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Because they are completely different forms of motorsport.

5. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I think he means Nords feels like a tarmac stage of a rally, which it does, so it doesn't really matter if there are other people racing at the same time, its all about beating the best time. That's rally.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Fair enough, so I like Rally then. I had no idea :)

7. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I think it's road courses in general that feel a bit this way, I'm happy to drive alone at Nords, Longford, Monaco, whereas at a circuit I love like Texas, Sebring, Ohio I prefer to have people or AI to race.

8. Galaga

Galaga Banned

You are all correct :)

It is interesting to explore how people think differently about racing and Nords is a great example. For instance, what if you break it down like this:

Why people who hate Nords
    - Don't know
    - Too challenging
    - Not good for sim racing because grids to small and driver skill variation too high

Why people love Nords

- Don't know
    - Variety of uninterrupted and unique technical challenges (like rally :))

Of course totally understand rally as a motorsport is different because mostly alone and against clock, but wheel to wheel rally TYPE stuff is very similar to Nords (Lienz, Mountain Forest, Route 666, Crimson Road, Transfagarasan, Machwerk, etc., etc., etc.)

Now for those who like Nords but don't like rally I am sticking to my prior comment regarding racing vs. driving preference because how coukd you not like rally if you like driving?