rFactor 2 - How do you drive yours?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ForthRight, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Gupster

Gupster Registered

Blasphemy!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Spat tea through nose when I first read, now not sure if bait or not.....

Nordschliefe + Lola = Sex on drugs whilst listening to rock n roll.

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

lol. I'm serious, maybe it's because I haven't learned the track or perhaps I just can't learn it but I really do hate it. :)

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

We can't like everything can we?

Likewise everyone is raving about Silverstone and whilst I applaud ISI's efforts in updating, the track itself is one of the most boring in the world for me lol. even the versions from the 70's etc. (in other sims) I just never have fun onnit and feel disappoint when my league decides to do an event on it :p

But the Nordshleife, yeah, it takes allot of hours to 'get' it, I mean allot. before that its annoying and tedious. after that most people get seriously hooked onnit. Most people never cross that point though.

5. Tony

Tony Registered

Yea.. everyone's allowed to hate something - no biggie Jamie - have your say

Nords is a love or hate track, no-one's ambivalent about it, ..LOVE IT lol

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
  6. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Online when new content is released. Why then?

Because there is next to no racing for me otherwise. Right now, at 230 PM on a Saturday US time (so pretty much as peak as it will get given you have most everyone around the world available) there are 8 people online in something interesting, the BT20. The rest of the player base is spread around in some league race, F3s which don't interest me one bit and a bunch of other stuff with 4 guys in it. I don't have a consistent enough schedule to do a league, and I never really enjoyed having to race at one certain time back when I did do league racing. So outside of the "new toy" period, I'm rarely if ever online. Even then, I still debate weather I would rather put up with the idiots online who can't survive three turns consistently as well as rF2's rather abysmal netcode. I haven't been online in rF2 since the Honda's release, and the netcode then was so beyond terrible the game was borderline unplayable - to the point I don't even want to bother with the mess ISI have created with the whole vmod and get mod crap as well as the complete and utter lack of any semblance of structure.

So in other words, Offline 95% of the time.

Usually against the AI, 10-25 cars.
    Tracks I have installed and use : Silverstone, Mores, Loch Drummond (rarely used), LRP, Spa 1966, Monaco 1966, Poznan, Croft, Aintree (fun circuit), Longford
    Cars I drive : Howston Group 4, Eve F1 (wingless) / BT20, URD EGT, Camaro GT3 / Apex Modding SLS GT3

Pretty much explains why I spend so little time with rF2. Not a whole lot of interesting, quality content. I've tried loads more, and most of it ends up uninstalled for a reason. The Howston and EGT cars are the only ones that I drive on a semi regular basis, I typically go for Howstons at Longford, best combo in rF2.

7. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Ok, I'll partially back you up here. I don't hate the Nordschleife - far from it - but it's not somewhere I spend a lot of my sim racing time.

I prefer shorter tracks and for that reason I don't enjoy racing at the Nordschleife, but it's a great place to throw a car around as a driving experience.

There, I tried to be as diplomatic as I could!

8. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Not a fan of the green hell myself, great work bringing to rF2, but I only run it if I have to...I'll get me coat :p

9. tomolart

tomolart Registered

My personal favourite car atm is the Clio. The sound is just great and combine that with a seq. shifter its unbeatable. Historics are fun too though, but i dont feel with the car with the openwheel cars. In iRacing i drive only singleseaters, but the 3.5 and the F2 feel not quite right FFB wise. Favourite track would have to be Mills. What ISI have done between rF1 to rF2 is astounding. It is awesome in rF2.

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

That's not really fair though. load any sim, or game in the public realms and you will meet allot of idiots or people having no clue most of the time, or always a few ruining it for the rest. It has little to do with the sim, its more about people hooking up randomly, its just not going to work as intended in most cases unless its something like GTA where goofing around is the main objective :)

Serious racing (and all the paraphernalia that comes with it) is done behind semi-closed or closed doors and in most cases that only increases the enjoyment. Nothing is more exiting then a human opponent challenging you to the limit.
    Personally I would go as far as putting (good) online racing on the top of my list as apposed to having reality or excellent tech stuff in any form or shape.
    Lets say rf2 does not deliver in that department i'd rather go back to rf1 or Mario Kart then drool over awesome physics and dynamics. (needless to say I want both)
    And sadly it seems to go that way atm, both online activity and league activity has been going down at a study pace the last months. no idea why but it seems pretty dead and I sure hope this is not the general consensus for the future.

11. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

^^^ Don't let him reel you in. He only posts to instigate.

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Oh crap, I guess I wasn't paying attention :)

13. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

How isn't it? Nowhere did I say that was exclusive to rF2.

Ignore Jamie, he's a well known troll. If you've paid attention to his post history here and on other forums you'd know.

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Jamie is the troll??? oh man i'm getting old. I just can't keep up with you l33t Guise anymore :-(

But fwiw you claim not to race online because noobs and then you claim not to race online because faulty systems.
    the noobs alone wont see you go online, and you don't have time for leagues, so why do you need a functioning online system anyways brah?

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Nordschliefe is a very big track, do the regular users of it really get to know every corner etc ?

(those poor drivers pre-90's no simulators to practice on..just a bit of practice/quali then head first into a race! Nightmare!)

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

17. Icarus

Icarus Registered

I usually love the GT cars but in rFactor 2 they feel a bit vague, but the Clio and the Civic so good they're addictive. Assetto Corsa has cornered the market for me with GT cars, they feel the closest to real driving in any sim.

I think I've installed just about every car and track there is for rFactor 2 and most of them are very poor conversions from much older games, the best tracks I've tried so far are Spa(modern), Nordschleife and the Top Gear track. My fav ISI track so far is Silverstone, but I've only had the game a week.

A quick mention to the Nordschleife hater...I used to be one until I tried the rFactor 2 version today, amazing. If you haven't tried it, it's worth a go.;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
  18. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

You should see Jamie over on the iRacing forums, he just trolls, and trolls, and trolls, iRacing section, AC thread, doesn't matter. There is no real interest in rF2 over there so he doesn't get a good chance there sadly. Pretty sure he got banned from the AC forums as well.

Did I say the noobs solely were keeping me from going online? Did I say I haven't gone online?

There are several factors as to why I rarely race online in rF2, and each one of them is just another check box in the "why bother" category. Lack of exciting to me content, vmod / get mod and the requirement sometimes to download stuff I don't want (I'm very particular about the content I use, as short as my list is you should see that), lack of participation, poor netcode and server performance (though it may have improved as I know they changed a lot in the last build), lack of structured time slots on servers (which would help create participation as well) and low driving standards. All of those combined usually make rF2 a last ditch effort type affair online.

Content is easily the biggest flaw with rF2 online for me, but even with cars I'm excited for - the Cobra and literally ANY of the Indycar stuff I highly doubt participation will improve. This community largely is attached to the boring, slow, unexciting Megane and Clio, just the same as rF1 was. rF2 sadly does not have the player base currently to support more options, unlike rF1 - which while not booming with participation once the Clio and Meganes took over, did have other options frequently available.

19. bwana

bwana Registered

Its kinda like going for a Sunday drive Jamie,except your in a 270 kmh GT car ..once you do that many laps that you know each corner its very addictive , Thundering through the German forest with the sound of a big Chev echoing is a nice release from the daily grind. Not a racing track at all unless you have a field of 75 cars.

20. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Seriously mate you should consider changing your handle to HalfEmptyGlass. It doesn't have to go the same way as before, I think the Megane is the worst behaving car in the whole sim but I drove it for ages because everyone else did, then when the clio came out I went to that and even though I sometimes didn't like the handling, it was fun for online pickup races. As with most things in life it was only by trying other things, things I expected not to like, I began to appreciate not to be closed minded about experimentation. Rather than wait for what I think I want, which for me would be a massively long wait as I want an authentic 4wd turbo rally cross championship!
    Like you I love Longford, but in the Lola, but the Howston is good too. I take the Lola anywhere now(proper tracks) especially with the new minimum steering torque setting and I'm in simulator heaven. Yes stuff needs working on blatantly, especially the netcode, but they are working on it. You only have to see how royally broken that part of software was this new build to see they are "working" on it. :)
    I don't want to see 3 populated megane servers and 2 people in a few other servers either, but mate the way that happens is to be loud about the good things. Find a combo you like, make a youtube vid about that, make a server with that combo and run it everytime you play for an hour or more rather than use it offline. If you build it, they will come. If you smash it they probably will stay away.