rFactor 2 Build 930 Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

When we`re talking about fixes...would be nice, to get the Backfire (GFX) for all newer Cars, resp. for all Cars, where the Backfire is missing.

2. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Oh Yes. I also miss the backfire.

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

4. Promag

Promag Registered

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I got it back ;)

6. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Guys. I am no complainer, I very rarely go around complaining about anything much. I am no stickler for detail, I do not go getting on my high horse about small things.

It seems that after more than 1 month out of action, ISI have not yet got to the bottom of the 930 problems. That does not annoy me, it is a complex problem, what annoys me is the lack of any plan B to keep the sim a reliable platform for racing on for the user base at large, not just some percentage of it. http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-bar-maxed-out?p=347347&viewfull=1#post347347

It was one year ago today I was posting on here that there is no join button, the entire multiplayer was out then for at least 4 weeks. Incredible. ISI could have rolled out a previous build at any point in time in order to keep the multiplayer alive and they chose not to. That was their choice, they chose to leave the multiplayer to rot for a very long time.

Now this CPU spike problem, it affect a minority of players and their games are bricked again for the purpose of multiplayer racing. It is not 1 or 2 % of players, it is pretty sizeable chunk of at least, enough to have serious impact on peoples leagues. 10% - 15% of user base I would guess, perhaps more.

Therefore during the last year, the game has been in an unplayable state for over 2 months - THAT IS WHOLLY UNACCEPTABLE. For each and every day of those months ISI had the solution in their hands all of the time - to roll back to the previous build, or to fix the problems. They did neither. The option that leagues can roll back individually to a previous build is there all the time of course. Players want to compete in different leagues, go into various servers, there is very limited number of players around anyway at the best of times when we are all on the same build - that is simply not an acceptable solution to me, that merely an acceptance of failure. I will never accept that.

ISI need to ensure that the current build works well enough for everybody to hold races with - and with all the drivers they had planned to race. If the build cannot do that they need to FIX IT or ROLL IT BACK TO PREVIOUS BUILD. We all need to be racing on the same build for the multiplayer to be vibrant.

This product is a Racing Sim with multiplayer, we use it to hold races online often in fixed groups of drivers in championships. Regardless of how advanced RF2 features are, I do not find it unreasonable to consider the following to be the absolutely minimum levels of functionality required to consider the game fit for purpose :

1) You can do the online race, everybody can get in the server, there are no bugs serious enough to cause anybody not to have a decent game experience. Everybody gets in the server, everybody does the race, everybody exits the server.
    2) You can do so 12 months a year. Not 10. 12.

That is all I ask. I do not like it much when there are 100 other problems too, but so long as every body can join the server, do the race and nothing silly happens that is within the sphere of ISI's control in the software to prevent that - and I want it 12 months a year - then these very basic minumum requirements are met. The product can be considered fit for it's purpose.

I was talking here about the multiplayer in general, I have to ask myself : Is it the case that until this game is 100% finished, that ISI SIMPLY DO NOT CARE one little bit about the general health of the multiplayer? Perhaps until it is complete, they simply do not care, I expect that is not the case but you must be able to understand why I might end up feeling that way. It is because that is the reality of my experience for 2 years now. Perhaps they view existing players as nothing more than glorified testers condemned to be suffering all the of time. THIS PRODUCT COME OUT OF BETA NEARLY 2 YEARS AGO WE ARE ENTITLED TO A PRODUCT THAT WORKS. Perhaps it is the case that ISI see us paying customers as nothing more than test monkeys to be kicked all around the park for years whilst they concentrate on their developments to which we all play strictly second fiddle - NO! I say it again, it is no longer BETA, we are entitled for the basic minimum requirements to be met now and THEY ARE NOT.

Like countless other leagues, we have a group of drivers, they practice an awful lot, many of us take simracing pretty seriously as we know. Practicing for hours, making a setup it all takes a lot of time. And for what? To only stand a 90% chance of successfully entering the server for the race? To only have an 85% chance that the build of they day will actually work well enough to race? Is it OK for drivers to complete in a championship for 3 months only to find the drop down the leader board like a stone during the final 1 month because the game suddenly become unfit for purpose, or the server is bugged? NO IT IS NOT. Never mind all the countless hours many spend fiddling around with the servers.

Now please look at this. http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...llowed-to-know?p=346971&viewfull=1#post346971 Here we can see how sensitive Tim is to having HIS time wasted. He is prepared to ban anybody from this forum purely for wasting his time alone. Fair enough. Now reap what you sow Tim. We are all here fooling around trying for hours to get these vmods and servers up and running which they often refuse to do for mysterious reasons, bugs bugs bugs every way you turn there are bugs. I never complained about that. And then what do we find? The multiplayer is trashed for 4 weeks, no fix, no roll back. The championship is ruined. Now this build a serious chunk of players are simply not able to start a race with it. Over 1 month now. No fix, no roll back. Guys that put in hours of practice a week for months, suddenly out of the championship because you screwed up again, and you refuse to fix the problems or roll the build back.

If I am going to spend my time organising championships on this sim, I would like at least for the sim to work to the very basic levels required for people to do the races - and I am not getting it. If 20 people are going to do a race, all 20 need a game that works, all 20 need to get successfully into the server, and when they do the server needs to work properly for the duration of the race which often it does not. Otherwise, I am wasting my time you understand, voluntarily trying to make the RF2 multiplayer a more vibrant place. There was even a guy on here not so long back pretty much offering to go around rustling up 30 drivers between us in order to do your job for you and TEST this server out properly before it is release with a full house of drivers, which at present it is clearly not. Sadly the thread never went anywhere. That guy was me http://isiforums.net/f/archive/index.php/t-23897.html

In my view, ISI would be best advised from this point on to :
    - Ensure the current build of the day is fit for its basic purpose of holding races - and for the WHOLE user base
    - If it screws up then FIX IT quick OR roll it back for EVERYBODY.
    - Do this, and do it 12 months a year. Not 10 - that is no good for anybody.

Anything short of this is simply not good enough.

Of course, another option is for ISI to put it BACK INTO BETA. If ISI do that then we all know where we stand and I will shut my face. But no, they are selling the product as a fully functional sim that is ready to race, YOU CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS! It has to be BETA or IT HAS TO WORK at least to the basic 'fitness of purpose' requirements I described above. And for the whole user base, not 80% of them. We all want to race together. How much use is a pipe that only leaks 20%? I hope you understand me. It has to be a viable platform to race on, if it is not, nobody at ISI can have any complaint whatsoever that people like me come here making posts like this.

ISI : THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. Fix the problems or roll the builds back.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

What are your system specs?

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I am extremely happy I don't have these issues to join or race in a server but I do get lock ups sometimes when moving sessions, sometimes the game locks up when returning to the garage (when escaping), and 100% lock up rate when alt-tabbing or exiting. The frustration is very understandable, I've read from a couple of different leagues running b910 too, I wish I was knowledgeable to help.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

nevermind found it - Xeon X5450 and as you say "Not great gaming CPU" - what the hell do you expect for an.....wait for it......EIGHT year old CPU?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

[​IMG]

I really don't.....I mean.........JESUS.........it's like driving a Lada in F1 and moaning to Bernie that the other cars are too fast or something......beggers belief, I'm outta here!

10. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

rFactor2 minimum specifications:

BARE-MINIMUM (will not run or look as best, or with many opponents):
    PU: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 or 2.4 GHz AMD Athlon x2
    Memory: 2 GB
    Video Card: nVidia 8600 GT or ATI/AMD 3850
    Video Memory: 256MB

RECOMMENDED MINIMUMS (will run better, may look better with better hardware):
    CPU: 3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon II x2 or better
    Memory: 4 GB+
    Video Card: nVidia 250 GTS or ATI/AMD 4870 or better
    Video Memory: 512MB+

PS.Xeon X5450 is much better then rFactor2 RECOMMENDED MINIMUMS

11. stonec

stonec Registered

Those minimums mean nothing, you cannot run the game smooth with some 2006 Core 2 CPU on large fields, it was never possible.

It is closer to 1% than 10-15% that have this issue, based on my experience. I am organizing RD league which has around 100 racers, there has been one person mention about it to me. If you want to run big fields, you should not use an 8 years old CPU in either case. It will not work on any other modern sim, perhaps rF2 advancement has made it difficult to support such old CPUs as well.

12. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

If minimums don`t mean nothing everything in this page : http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2help/ is just fairy tales?

13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I guess, it`s more a point of human reasoning. If you believe, you could run a Sim from today with these hardware, no way. From my view, this "minimum" may could work for 1 Car, no Ai, Offline, everything set to min., Shadows etc. off, Replay off etc...

In other words: a lot of people are complaining, that rF2 isn`t this "eyecandy" as other arcadish games, but persist on very old "Minimum System" recommendations. But you made one good point, ISI should adjust the recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Oh please, my cpu is even worse and even though I have been going up and down with builds, having to virtually tweak differently every build, performance was pretty great overall and in some cases acceptable enough. smooth MP games with big fields, no problem.

I understand new physics/tires/whatever will take more out of the cpu/gpu, so the more advanced rf2 gets the less peeps like us will benefit, but blaming a PC that runs smoothly overall because of 1 build.....that means nothing.
    You really think we would be in rf2 leagues if performance would not work on minimum most of the times? why would we even be here?

15. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

16. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

Yeah people who own the product already know that those minimums mean nothing, new customers are just pissed because the products recommendations are not true. I would be happy to do a 20min race without disappearing of the whole field of drivers around me and to end my race because i spawned on another car and explode. And i still wonder how long we have to wait to get a proper clutch and drivetrain model in this sim. Every other "competitor" out there has a proper working drivetrain model since alpha or at least since their beta stage, but still it seems this a feature which has no priority at all for ISI.

17. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Hey, it was no offense at all. But please think about it. You can`t expect, to play an actual Simracing Game with outdated Hardware, it`s just not possible. Whatever they writing as MinimumSpecs". This is just count 1 + 1... At the end of the day, to play rF2 with propper settings and an aceptable amount of AI`s or Multiplayer with full Grid, you should do an investment into your Computer Hardware.

18. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

Yeah but you should not advertise it with those recommendations anyway, if you would buy a house and the company says you can put 200kg/m² on the first floor and when you place 180kg on one place everything collapses, do you blame the company or yourself because you have not bought the best materials?

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

May i should quote myself...

20. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Does ISI show "recommended specs"? Because that's what most people look at, not minimum specs because every one knows that min. specs mean that's what it takes for the game to run on min graphics settings and you'll still get low fps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.