rFactor 2 Build 906 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Dec 16, 2014.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Today's release sees us introduce step one of "new UI" in the form of our new launcher. It comes with simplified activation, updating, mod downloading, installation and verification features. It will soon have +connect functionality so you can join specific races directly from it, as well as a bunch of other nice features. Some aspects we have to wait for the simulation UI to implement them in the launcher.

Graphics have re-balanced colors, improvements were made in gamma (most noticably at night) and HDR parameters should give more reliable results in both static and changing conditions. Analogue gauges are now supported, Dev mode had some AIW editor improvements, and there are a number of bugfixes and feature refinements.

Update 28 (Build 906) Changelog Dec 11, 2014):

FEATURES:
    ————-
    Added code to allow non-linear analog gauges.
    Added some feedback to 3 AI parameters to dev mode AIW editor (corner caution:, understeer throttle cut:, understeer lat) so that you can watch in realtime as they have an effect.
    New Launcher UI.
    New remote content package manager integrated with Launcher UI.
    Simplified activation process.
    Sync Manager now restarts Launcher after update installation with original permissions.

BUG FIXES / OPTIMIZATIONS:
    ————-
    Fixed intermittent crash on vehicle load.
    Fixed rain volume which became too loud for some reason.
    FXAA fix for monitor.
    Fix for extraneous window in ded server mode.
    Possible fix to 1st time failure downing vmod install failure on game connect in cases where vmod and components already downloaded but not installed.
    Set lower default spotter volume.
    Changed the small rfm, veh, and track main page display buttons to not load an image if their image size is set to 0 in either dimension. This is to prevent crash if a UI should have them on the same page as one of another gizmo that uses those assets (and destroys them).
    Fixed bug with options not always remembering rfm/vehicle/track list/menu preference.
    Fix for replays not loading some *.mas skins. (skins shared over multiplayer may still not load)
    Potentially fixed names running over the HUD menus with a new HUD parameter & a fixed algorithm.
    Fixed 64 bit Dev Mode inablity to save AIW files.
    Fixed a potential crash upon starting AIW editor.
    Fixed pit menu selected box from being too small in some cases.
    Fixed HUD message center messages from extending beyond the box in some cases.
    Fixed bug where virtual vehicles created with a *.mas loose skin file instead of a *.dds skin file wouldn’t show the correct skin in the spinner or on track.
    Fixed a rare buffer overrun error in track name text display.
    Changed replay letterbox to extend the entire width of the screen instead of just inside the options extent.
    Attempted fix for occasional vehicle load/unload loop that appeared to cause network lag.
    Fixed some multiplayer “Get Mod” issues with downloading/installing components and cleaned up the UI to be more readable.

UI / HUD / OPTIONS:
    ————-
    Added APP_TextValue_GarageTireLoad_FrontLeft, APP_TextValue_GarageTireLoad_FrontRight, APP_TextValue_GarageTireLoad_RearLeft, APP_TextValue_GarageTireLoad_RearRight Gizmos back. (not yet used in default options)
    Created gizmos for replay mode, length and current position. (not yet used in default options)
    Renamed “binkanimations” to “genericanimations” since they not longer use bink
    Added HUD parameter for pit menu maximum length.
    Added an “instant update” parameter to vehicle and track lists for options that forgo the “accept”/”cancel” mechanism.

MULTIPLAYER:
    ————-
    Broke up installing of downloaded components on multiplayer join so that the options have a chance to update and get a little bit of ui feedback to the user about what the game is doing

GRAPHICS
    ————-
    Modified scene post-gamma value to improve color balance.
    Ambient boost removed, no longer needed with improved scene gamma.
    Improved some HDR automation parameters.
    HDP files now deprecated and are disabled by default. HDP files can still be enabled via the plr file option ‘Enable Legacy HDR Profiles’.
    Removed specular floor value, which was causing incorrect highlights at night.

CONTROLLERS / FFB:
    ————-
    Added a Controller.JSON value “Steering Torque Capability” in order to specify the strength of strong FFB wheels (like direct drive). If this is set properly, and it exceeds the NominalMaxSteeringTorque for a given vehicle, it allows a 1:1 correlation between the calculated torque and the actual FFB torque. (However, note that we still don’t model power steering, so the calculated torque is stronger than it should be for some vehicles.)
    Increased the number of buttons per controller supported.

MODDING / PUBLIC DEV:
    ————-
    Updated the component mas file loading (for tracks only) to remove irrelevant layout mas files.
    Dev Mode: When editing AI driver parameters we now change the driver to match selected car in the editor window automatically when bouncing between cars

PLUGINS:
    ————-
    Set the mLastImpact* variables in the telemetry plugin interface.
    Made plugin interface to add chat messages work on dedicated servers.
    Fixed a few things with the Internals Plugin weather interface, and added a new option to apply cloudiness instantly.

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Tim, you guys are 8 days too early!

3. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Excited :)

4. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Bugger. .....i need to go to work now....have to wait at least 14hrs to give it a try.

;) but anyway good news thanks ISI

5. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Will there be more information what changed in the API? There seems no update of documentation and or demo plugin available - which makes it very difficult to use the new features...

Sent with Tapatalk

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Lots of goodies :p

7. Magus

Magus Registered

Perfect! New wheel should be arriving tomorrow and I should be back to sim heaven for Christmas after a long break.

CONTROLLERS / FFB:
    ————-
    Added a Controller.JSON value “Steering Torque Capability” in order to specify the strength of strong FFB wheels (like direct drive). If this is set properly, and it exceeds the NominalMaxSteeringTorque for a given vehicle, it allows a 1:1 correlation between the calculated torque and the actual FFB torque. (However, note that we still don’t model power steering, so the calculated torque is stronger than it should be for some vehicles.)
    Increased the number of buttons per controller supported.

- Already adjusted to 7.0 in anticipation of CSW v2. :p

8. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Agreed. Lots of very nice things mentioned in the changelog. Let's hope it's a solid one without a major bug for league usage like the last two builds (wet road display error & upgrades issue in mod manager).

Thanks ISI, really looking forward to testing the new build later. :)

9. RJames

RJames Registered

Thanks guys!

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Thank you very much! Can't wait to give the new build a spin. Christmas came early, that's for sure. :)

11. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Stable build ? "Make it so, make it so, make it so.. " :D

12. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Updater worked just fine. Love the new UI!

13. matf1

matf1 Registered

Auto update worked fine, all reported successful in install log.
    2 quick tests at Monza with F3s and Vette at Sao Paulo. Everything the same as before, may be detecting a smoother graphical draw. More akin to what 120Hz monitors have already(have to use crap 60Hz at the mo)
    The look, good at Monza, more flat, dare I say iRacing looking.
    Sao Paulo, didn't notice anything.

Just my initial results/thoughts.

Now to install new lite for proper test.

Thanks Tim and ISI Team!

14. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Launcher thoughts :
    Would be nice to see a preview bar thing for the content, or maybe the track layout for the tracks. Maybe not an issue now, but with more content could be. Also would be great to have a date on it.

Buttons don't stick out at all.

15. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thanks for the early Xmas gift ;-)
    Short first look: nice Launcher UI, small bug within the launcher: sort has no function (old to new, a-z etc.), Exit Button missing. Link to MAS, very usefull, thanks.

16. matf1

matf1 Registered

Fresh Lite install. Cannot see anywhere to set widescreen UI in the Launcher's Video Settings or in game, so I had to do this in config.ini

17. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Nope, it`s there: Ingame/Settings/Resolution

18. Roger51

Roger51 Registered

Thanks ISI, update works fine and looks great!

19. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Nice, this came earlier than I though. At work atm but at least I can read first reactions to this build. Maybe I save some time reading some advice here :)

Now there is still time for content updates :D

20. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

I suppose I made a timely choice to give rf2 another go and activate my online again. I like the new setting for the FFB, only iracing has it up to now. I put it up to 20Nm for what my wheels is currently set for and it felt pretty good. It had the power when it needed it and wasn't overbearing for the entire time.

I will have to try out some other cars to see how it behaves with power steering.