rfactor 2 beta video's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SKeijmel, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjc

tjc Registered

Absolutely agree with every word of this... very well put Duvel.

I have NO time whatsoever for people who rip off other peoples work and claim it to be there own...

Should be flayed imo.

---

+1 :)

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

The same with modding. If you use someone's work, you do no damage to original mod nor original mod developers. Use the same arguments in both cases.

As some one stated already: it should be enough to put credit original authors.

For people? no one ask you for that ;)

At the end I agree that it is quite complex subject (from creating content without required licence to sharing work inside community). And probably will never be resolved. But requesting removing videos or screenshots (yep, i remember such requests) is overreaction imo.

3. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

Sorry, that's completely wrong. If a mod author is proven to be using someone else's work without permission, the topic should be locked, all download links removed and the person or people in question should be perma-banned from the forum in question by the moderators, like any other decent mod community that has morals.

1 person likes this.
  4. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

It works in the same way for all artists :)

You can go on the circuit and make photo / oil painting / 3d model and you can put it in your portfolio.
    You don't need licences to do that, and you can share your work for free with everybody but they can't use your work (photo / oil painting / 3d model) without your permision because it is your intellectual property.

5. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Been addressed already but a bit more in depth:
    Logi wheels have a problem with low forces in the center of the range (and partly all across the range). If you use the FFB benchmark tool to do a linearity check, you'll notice that when you set the wheel to 100% overall strength you get barely any movement in the wheel with forces from 0% to 15%. Only after that they start to really do anything. With 107% you get real forces into the wheel from the get-go. Granted, it saturates a bit earlier than with 100% (though the difference in saturation is smalle than the difference in getting going at all), but you still end up with more linear forces with 107% than 100%.

[​IMG]

Right-click -> Open image for full-size.

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I cannot believe people see it otherwise. Only proper thing to do really.

Only way to pretect modders so they keep producing their work and not spend valuable time getting frustrated in such pointless discussions about the obvious.

7. tjc

tjc Registered

I don`t have to "be asked"... I`m entitled to my opinion and you know what that is.

It doesn`t matter how it`s dressed up... if I make a mod that has sounds or anything else stolen from it that`s used in someone else`s work without my permission, that`s a form of stealing and completely wrong in my opinion and the person doing the stealing has NO morals or scruples and should not be supported by others who use his mod and compliment him for it...

Simples. ;)

8. tjc

tjc Registered

+1 to both posts. :)

9. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

From this forum or should be banned from all forums? Have you idea how many content should be removed from our rf1 installations due to this rule? I think we would end up with a few cars and tracks only, because even using single 64x64 texture would match ban condition.

Again: Usually I'm in favour of principles. But we all should be careful to not overreacting. Some ones are very close to lynch because he used single texture or single model without permission. I cannot agree with such reaction.

I'm sure there is difference between making photo and reproducing car (its shape) or using its name - 2 the last things are prohibited by trademark (car) owner.

10. tjc

tjc Registered

I agree there is no need to overreact on this subject but I also have to say that in general I`d rather have much less content for rf/rf2 but use legit, good quality content instead. :)

11. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

@Maxym

I'm 100% sure that you can reproduce the real car and put it in your portfolio or share for free with other people and you don't need the license to do that.

Otherwise people like these would have serious problems :)

http://www.suurland.com/
    http://reflectvision.pl/

12. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

Hi Maxym, I just meant the official forums. People can and will do what they want on other forums. No-one can legislate for that.

It just annoys me when this happens. I made a mod a few years ago that i released for free that took me a lot of time and effort, so imagine how i felt when i found someone SELLING it for money to unsuspecting members of the public on E-bay. That sucks. Even more so, when in the Ebay comments, the people who bought it ( even though it was posted online in various places for free ), were telling the guy selling it what great skills he had !

13. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

@Jubuttib,
    Where can I get this FFB benchmark tool?

14. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

They have no problems as well as rf modders have no problems creating Prosches or F1 mods. But it doesn't mean it is legal.

Yes, I understand it may be painful. But it is another cup of coffee. We are talking about sharing work without gaining money and with credits to original author (it is how it should work in community imo)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012
  15. osella

osella Registered

Sure, again I don't say opposite... The keyword is if there are credits to original authors, which they were not in this case. So I would too advice anyone not to play this ripped 88mclaren. OK, I know I can't tell people what they should play so.. let's just pretend nobody plays it.

I am also using Niels' work because I simply didn't manage to do tyres that felt so good, but I asked him beforehand and gave him BIG credit everywhere...

16. osella

osella Registered

I'm not sure how much legal our mods are. It is possible it is illegal. But its more than obvious that car manufactors don't care about our mods so there's nothing bad about it. But when you rip someone's mod and the author is annoyed by this, you should respect that and not think its OK just because YOU think it is OK. By "you" I don't mean exactly you MaXyM, just the person who rips.

It comes down to thousands years old discussion about moral x legality. One is illegal but still moral.

17. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

In that respect Maxym, i totally agree with you. All i have ever asked for regarding any mod i've made is :

You can do what you want with whatever i've made. Export it to a new game, use it in your own mod, i'm not bothered. For me personally my rules are :

1. Give me credit for the work i have done.

2. It has to always be free of charge. That's it.

18. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I have not enough knowledge and language skill to argue about what you wrote. But I feel this statement is ambiguous. Especially since morality is very subjective ;)

19. osella

osella Registered

Morality is very subjective, its about that if car manufacturers don't care, it only makes sense not to feel bad for creating our mods, despite breaking the law. Laws are there to be obeyed but if no real harm was done, so what.

While if you rip any mod, you didn't break any law, but you could make someone angry so you should care about that.

I think its perfectly clear now :rolleyes:.

20. Jux

Jux Registered

Why ban people from forum, which is the only source to explain themselves? When somebody has commited a crime, you don't cut off his tongue. Actually it is more like virtual capital punishment. They must be educated, it must be explained how the overall value of community creation goes down this way. I think people who steal mod parts just want to do good, but are too dumb to understand that they fail in this.

We need ACTA :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.